Sticking caliper causing a shimmy?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Sticking caliper causing a shimmy??

Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipArtec Flash Sale - 15% off and Free Shipping over $300Jeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wd

Unread 10-30-2013, 08:27 AM   #1
Jaketit
2002 WJ 

Sticking caliper causing a shimmy??

Ok so I've had some wobble issues these past 2 weeks which I thought I pretty much tracked down this week but NOPE. Well the death wobble has been cured but after changing both front upper and lower ca bushings and adding a new stabilizer everything was smooth as silk for 2 days and now I'm getting

Jaketit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2013, 08:31 AM   #2
Jaketit
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaketit
Ok so I've had some wobble issues these past 2 weeks which I thought I pretty much tracked down this week but NOPE. Well the death wobble has been cured but after changing both front upper and lower ca bushings and adding a new stabilizer everything was smooth as silk for 2 days and now I'm getting
A shimmy at 40-50 mph. I took it in last night to get the tires rebalanced and two were off by 1.00 oz on one side. Thinking that was my problem I headed home only to find the shimmy was still there. I'm starting to think I'm getting this wobble after hitting my brakes hard, maybe I have a caliper sticking occasionally. Anybody ever heard of this. And if so how should I check for it.
Unread 10-30-2013, 08:32 AM   #3
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

When braking, do you have a shimmy (as in a warped rotor)? If your rotor is good, an occasional dragging brake shouldn't cause a shimmy, though a dragging brake isn't necessarily a good thing!

Is the wobble random or rotational?

ChrisHager's 'Grilled' Thread

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyooooooh View Post
But ChrisHager makes me want to poor water on a burning bucket of gasoline now just out of curiosity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
The latest lift kit from Rough Country? :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
Your symptoms sounds just like what it does when it's not doing what it should because of how it is.
ChrisHager is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2013, 08:44 AM   #4
Jaketit
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisHager
When braking, do you have a shimmy (as in a warped rotor)? If your rotor is good, an occasional dragging brake shouldn't cause a shimmy, though a dragging brake isn't necessarily a good thing!

Is the wobble random or rotational?
It's both, some times I feel like a warped rotor wobble at slow speeds and sometimes not. And also random shimmy at 45.
Unread 10-30-2013, 08:50 AM   #5
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Stupid question but your lug nuts are tight, right?

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
But ChrisHager makes me want to poor water on a burning bucket of gasoline now just out of curiosity.
Quote:
Quote:
Your symptoms sounds just like what it does when it's not doing what it should because of how it is.
Unread 10-30-2013, 08:56 AM   #6
Jaketit
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisHager
Stupid question but your lug nuts are tight, right?
I watched the tech at tire kingdom torque em down. Hmm maybe a wheel spacer?
Unread 10-30-2013, 09:03 AM   #7
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

If you have wheel spacers, check them. This shimmy could be caused by many things but checking a safety item should be the top priority if there is even the slightest doubt!

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 10-30-2013, 09:07 AM   #8
Jaketit
2002 WJ 

I hear you. I'm gonna get out the old jack and check everything out. I'm just sick of throwing money at this problem for just a few days of gratification, then back to riding like butt.
Unread 10-30-2013, 09:32 AM   #9
brianestep
2000 WJ 

Since you've already replaced the bushings of both U and L control arms (nice move!), next up would be hubs and ball joints. Jack up one wheel/tire at a time and grab at 3/9oclock and wiggle. Then grab at 12/6oclock and wiggle. If there is play, watch where it is sourced from (either ball joint or hub).

Depending on who you ask, wheel spacers wear out the ball joints mildly faster.
-Brian- 2000 WJ Four liter, 4" RC springs; Bilstein 5100s; JKS trackbar w/KOR bushings; Stillen rotors; KOR (RC) 1.5" wheel spacers; 265/75/16 Treadwright Guard Dogs; Rusty AirTube, Amsoil Cone; Thule M.O.A.B.; Bumper delete; rear seat disco
brianestep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2013, 09:33 AM   #10
mattmc74
1999 WJ 

I was having some shimmy as well. All of the front end parts were replaced and all was good. Had a bit of shimmy when going over 45mph, it was driving me nuts trying to find out what was causing it. 2 days later my passenger side front caliper stuck and was smoking really bad! Replaced both front calipers plus pads,rotors, and the shimmy is gone. Thinking maybe when it got hot from the caliper being stuck and getting too hot caused too much drag on the passenger side which was causing my shimmy.
Unread 10-30-2013, 09:46 AM   #11
BlueJc
2001 WJ 

its easy to check for sticking brakes as your wheel will get hot. Check all four wheels for heat after a run out, the hot one will have the sticking brake. You should also see a drop in MPG if you have a dragging brake.

2001 4.7 V8 Jeep grand Cherokee Ltd.
BlueJc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2013, 10:17 AM   #12
bentbolt
2004 WJ 

I had this with brand new rotors and it was warped .006". Turned them down to both be turn and it cured it.
bentbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2013, 11:03 AM   #13
Jaketit
2002 WJ 

Well no hot wheels. I just picked up the kids in it and again accelerated to 50 and took my foot off the gas and on deceleration it feels like the verge of DW. i also went over some bad bumps and nothing at all. Maybe it just sticks when it wants too. I did notice ALOT more brake dust on the passenger rear wheel while I had it in the air. I also checked for play in the wheels checking ball joints and hubs but they seem solid. Has me stumped again. Guess its time to take out the old wallet again. Sheesh
Unread 10-30-2013, 04:36 PM   #14
Jaketit
2002 WJ 

Ok well. After a day of checking stuff out and test driving I did find a couple problems. One being I but the long bushing crush sleeve in the short side of the control arm. Duh!!! I knew something wasn't right while installing. RC arms by the way. That didn't really do much as far as the shake goes but I did remember to check my wheels for excessive heat and YAHTZEE my front driver side wheel was a lot hotter than the rest. Like I said in my previous post the feeling comes and goes sparaticly. So maybe ill get a new caliper tommorow and I guess I'm going to need a new rotor also.
Unread 10-30-2013, 05:03 PM   #15
Jaketit
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaketit
Ok well. After a day of checking stuff out and test driving I did find a couple problems. One being I but the long bushing crush sleeve in the short side of the control arm. Duh!!! I knew something wasn't right while installing. RC arms by the way. That didn't really do much as far as the shake goes but I did remember to check my wheels for excessive heat and YAHTZEE my front driver side wheel was a lot hotter than the rest. Like I said in my previous post the feeling comes and goes sparaticly. So maybe ill get a new caliper tommorow and I guess I'm going to need a new rotor also.
And I just did pads and rotors all around about a year ago. 02 akebono.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.