Steering Wheel Locked - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Steering Wheel Locked

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 08-25-2010, 02:22 PM   #1
Ronjon17

Steering Wheel Locked

Hello,

My wife's 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee is apparently steering wheel locked in our driveway. She can't turn the key at all and obviously can't start the car. She tried turning the wheel both ways and also tried messing with the shifter. Had our neighbor check it out as well and he wasn't able to get it to move. I'm still here at work so I'm not able to take a look at it. Apparently it's really stuck and can't get it unlocked so I thought I would give you guys a shout out - any tricks to unlocking the steering wheel?

Ronjon17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2010, 02:34 PM   #2
Mr_Grumpy
1999 WJ 

If the key is the culprit try tapping end of key fob with a little hammer or rubber mallet or if stuck ones knuckles do suffice.
Mr_Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2010, 02:49 PM   #3
1AAdam
2000 WJ 

^^X2 tapping the key in the ignition will prob get it to go. just knock on it with your hand like hitting a naile with a hammer. if the wheel is 'pushing' against the steering wheel lock too hard u actually have to move the wheel off the stop to be able to turn the key. try turning the key while moving the wheel back and forth. should get the wheel off the lock enough to allow u to turn the key.
1AAdam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2010, 04:46 PM   #4
Loveland-WJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I had this problem one day after work.... I had to call a lock smith to insert a new key cylinder $150.00. He says this go out all the time.

I watched what he did; he made a copy of my key; stuck it into the cylinder and bang on the key with the end of screwdriver and force the key to turn.
Unread 08-25-2010, 09:37 PM   #5
steveridesli
2002 WJ 

just wiggle the key back and forth and pull really hard on the steering wheel at the same time. even if it feels like its gonna break something.
i was trying real hard to unlock mine one time, and a tow truck driver came, put some real toruqe into his pull, and it was perfect. he said it happens a lot.
steveridesli is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.