Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Steering Damper Recommendations

5K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  99WJ539918 
#1 ·
Hey Guys,
Thinking about replacing my steering damper. I am currently considering the Moog SSD107, the Moog SSD56, Rancho RS5409, or the KYB SS10317. I've heard the Moog brands don't include the proper hardware. I'm leaning more toward the Rancho. Any experience with these? Thanks!

#2 ·
Hey Guys,
Thinking about replacing my steering damper. I am currently considering the Moog SSD107, the Moog SSD56, Rancho RS5409, or the KYB SS10317. I've heard the Moog brands don't include the proper hardware. I'm leaning more toward the Rancho. Any experience with these? Thanks!
Stock suspension? Any reason why you'd want to go bigger than stock? I have three Moog Super Trail Boss steering stabilizer and I really like it. PM Kolak for a great deal. :thumbsup:

#7 ·
I got these my jeep and my fathers:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000...pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=monroe+sc2962

I like them, definitely could feel a difference between the and the stock ones. Very controlled as they should be and really soften the feel of the bumps.

They are the same thing as the Tenneco ones on iro but save the money as iro is just full of hype.

Came fast in the mail through amazon and I ordered the black boot that was suggested at the bottom of the page from Amazon. Every hardware was correct and everything went smoothly and took about 15 minutes.

Cant beat $40. Nothing bad to say at all for them.

Them and the moogs would be my two options.

Sent from my iPhone using Telekinesis

#8 ·
That is what I have on mine, works great. No need to spend big money on a steering damper, just a 50/50 valved hydraulic shock, no real difference in any of them. You might want to re think that boot, those are great for trapping water/mud and causing rust, it will be just fine without it.

#9 ·
willis36 said:
That is what I have on mine, works great. No need to spend big money on a steering damper, just a 50/50 valved hydraulic shock, no real difference in any of them. You might want to re think that boot, those are great for trapping water/mud and causing rust, it will be just fine without it.
The boots have slits in them to release moisture. I personally cant see how mud would be trapped in though Im not saying it doesnt.

I had shocks with no boot before I got my bilsteins and they were rusted pretty badly within a year and a half.

In all honesty, boot vs no-boot is a useless argument or at least a major waste of time. Run what yah want but I have yet to see consistent data that suggests one is more problematic than the other. And until such data is disclosed I will continue to believe there is no difference between the two for normal conditions; excluding outliers.

Sent from my iPhone using Telekinesis

#10 ·
Ive had the rancho steering dampener on for 6 years and about 100k miles. Ive had them on three lifted jeeps and they last almost forever. Nice, progressive dampening without being too stiff or too loose.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.