Steam from under dash/defrost vents. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Steam from under dash/defrost vents.

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete Gear Installs at CCOR Special

Unread 12-18-2011, 01:43 PM   #1
kevinrocks
1999 WJ 

Steam from under dash/defrost vents.

So I noticed when I did not have my heat on the other day, I seen a light flow of what looked to be steam. Then a few days later I noticed it from the defrost vents. I turn on the heat and its very warm and doesnt have the 'steam' while it's on. I do have a weird smell in the car, that seems to come back, and the floorboard is not wet.

I'm curious if it's the heater core. if it is, I'm worried, I could do it, but I don't exactly have the time to fix it right now. I can only assume if it is the heater core, the steam look will only get worse.

thanks.

kevinrocks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-18-2011, 04:04 PM   #2
BigBeefy
2004 WJ 

Usually steam and an odor are signs of a leaking heater core. Pull the carpet and see if it is wet UNDER the carpet. There is a plastic membrane that can keep moisture from reaching the pad and carpet when wet from underneath.
Unread 12-18-2011, 04:56 PM   #3
Doughboy8475
1999 WJ 

mine is doing the same thing, floor board is wet, but thats from a leaking sunroof. hey kevin, does that weird smell kinda burn your eyes a little bit kinda like exhaust? just wondering cause mine does
Doughboy8475 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-18-2011, 04:58 PM   #4
Doughboy8475
1999 WJ 

hey one more thing kevin, does your vents not work very well? if they do, did you do anything to them? mine isnt working very well at all. pm me, ur right across the river
Unread 12-18-2011, 05:26 PM   #5
kevinrocks
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doughboy8475 View Post
hey one more thing kevin, does your vents not work very well? if they do, did you do anything to them? mine isnt working very well at all. pm me, ur right across the river
mine, doesn't burn the eyes, but it smells weird. My vents work great and I have good heat too...it's going to suck to take the whole dash out...

yeah, i noticed that. you on any of the local forums?
Unread 12-18-2011, 05:33 PM   #6
Doughboy8475
1999 WJ 

no, none locally, just a BMW forum for my 2004 325i
Unread 12-18-2011, 05:57 PM   #7
kevinrocks
1999 WJ 

There are a few local sites, one is a vw/audi forum...and they just love german cars. There is also another site, but they haze new members a lot, and some folks cant take the heat. lol.
Unread 12-18-2011, 06:51 PM   #8
Doughboy8475
1999 WJ 

Most of the vw/audi guys that I know are cool. What is the other site you are talking about? Most everybody that I know when they see me, then they see the car, they kinda stick their nose up in the air lol.
Unread 12-21-2011, 06:41 PM   #9
kevinrocks
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doughboy8475 View Post
Most of the vw/audi guys that I know are cool. What is the other site you are talking about? Most everybody that I know when they see me, then they see the car, they kinda stick their nose up in the air lol.
louisvillevw.org

Lot's of cool people on there. Site has slowed down as of late, but we are trying to bring it back. I'm an aircooled guy, but most of them are watercooled folks.
Unread 12-21-2011, 07:54 PM   #10
Doughboy8475
1999 WJ 

Cool
Unread 12-21-2011, 09:09 PM   #11
WJChris
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

check UNDER the passenger carpet/padding and check for coolant.

Coolant has a sweet smell
WJChris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.