starting problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > starting problem

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 02-06-2013, 05:34 PM   #1
bigjohnsondohc
2004 WJ 

starting problem

Its an 04 with the 4.0 and 4wd. I did a search and didnt come up with anything. The problem is that if I leave it parked for a few hours it becomes difficult to turn over and I have to apply the gas to get it to start. If its been running, then turned off and turned back on, it is sluggish to catch but still catches. It has a brand new battery, connectors, had the alternator tested and thats fine, new plugs, oil change and air filter. At this point I am thinking it is the starter but have no idea. Any help is appreciated.

bigjohnsondohc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2013, 07:25 PM   #2
MuddyWJ
2004 WJ 

Make sure your terminals are tight.
MuddyWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2013, 07:47 PM   #3
KonLegend
2005 WK 

Having to apply the gas should tell you something. Your Jeep is hurting for fuel, and you pressing on the accelerator makes the pump push more fuel to get it to start.

Since you say you have replaced the things above, I would suggest changing your fuel filter and see what you get. If that doesn't solve the problem, you may want to look into testing your fuel pressure. ( I would change the filter first to see if it solves the issue though ).

A starter shows similar symptoms, but the whole accelerator thing has me pointing at a fuel issue.

A battery connection that is faulty or loose would probably throw on a battery light, or check gauges light, and will cause a starting problems as well. The alternator supplies your battery with power along with the rest of the vehicle, your battery is mainly for starting and is used as a power house while being fed energy from the alternator. If your terminals are not tight, your alternator cannot charge your battery, causing problems with starting among many other things, eventually your car would completely die.
Unread 02-06-2013, 10:11 PM   #4
bigjohnsondohc
2004 WJ 

theres no cel that goes on. Im assuming its fuel related now, I will check the pressure tomorrow.
bigjohnsondohc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2013, 10:45 PM   #5
cykaaro
2000 WJ 

Did this happen before you put in the new battery and plugs? or afterward? To rule out the simple stuff, and it's never a bad idea to do, I would make sure everything is tight, but as well ensure the battery terminals and connectors are nice and clean, as well as the ground from battery to block. Using a fine grit sandpaper is great for doing the block. make sure the main ground from the battery is against the block, not the outside. May not make a difference, but you are ensured that you are getting a good power connection. As well, how is the ground strap from the back of the block to the firewall? Mine was pretty bad, so just changed it before a problem could start.

Another thing to try is, when you go to start the jeep, pause at the on for a few seconds (this will prime everything and you should hear the fuel pump) then try to start it. Does this make any difference? Had a problem with my ZJ and it was difficult to start and the same type of symptoms. If I did this, worked every time and started up right away. May not be the root of what you're dealing with, but worth a try to see what it does. In my case, everything worked checked out as fine and nothing was inherently wrong, but starting it this way stopped the problem. Ran it like that for 2yrs with nothing every going.

HID Quad bi-xenon + foglight retrofit
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?44572-Jeep-2000-Grand-Cherokee-WJ
cykaaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2013, 10:23 AM   #6
KonLegend
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cykaaro View Post
Did this happen before you put in the new battery and plugs? or afterward? To rule out the simple stuff, and it's never a bad idea to do, I would make sure everything is tight, but as well ensure the battery terminals and connectors are nice and clean, as well as the ground from battery to block. Using a fine grit sandpaper is great for doing the block. make sure the main ground from the battery is against the block, not the outside. May not make a difference, but you are ensured that you are getting a good power connection. As well, how is the ground strap from the back of the block to the firewall? Mine was pretty bad, so just changed it before a problem could start.

Another thing to try is, when you go to start the jeep, pause at the on for a few seconds (this will prime everything and you should hear the fuel pump) then try to start it. Does this make any difference? Had a problem with my ZJ and it was difficult to start and the same type of symptoms. If I did this, worked every time and started up right away. May not be the root of what you're dealing with, but worth a try to see what it does. In my case, everything worked checked out as fine and nothing was inherently wrong, but starting it this way stopped the problem. Ran it like that for 2yrs with nothing every going.

The reason you had to have the key on to prime, is because the filter was so clogged that not enough fuel could be pushed through before normal starting.

Just replace the fuel filter.
Unread 02-07-2013, 11:23 AM   #7
cykaaro
2000 WJ 

Could be I guess. I was told it was just losing pressure slowly after it sat a while. Just replacing the fuel filter though is not that simple on my ZJ. It was in the tank.

HID Quad bi-xenon + foglight retrofit
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?44572-Jeep-2000-Grand-Cherokee-WJ
cykaaro is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.