Starting issues!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Starting issues!!!

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 08-02-2011, 10:27 AM   #1
TeeJay00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Starting issues!!!

So my recently bought '04 4.7L WJ started to give me some trouble starting up in the past couple of days.

The jeep was in the dealership two months ago before I bought it for a complete check up and tune up by the previous owner. The starter works fine but the engine just keeps cranking and doesn't start untill I turn off the ignition and try it a second time then it starts normally with no problems at all... It appears to be a fuel pump failure symptoms!!!

What do you guys think???

TeeJay00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2011, 10:31 AM   #2
WiCkeDuDe
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

Classic fuel pump issue. Try the fuel pump ring first before replacing the whole pump if the pump doesnt have too many miles on it.
WiCkeDuDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2011, 10:35 AM   #3
TeeJay00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiCkeDuDe View Post
Classic fuel pump issue. Try the fuel pump ring first before replacing the whole pump if the pump doesnt have too many miles on it.
What's the fuel pump ring???

Oh and I just remembered... One of the things I replaced when I first bought it was the fuel filler cap!!! It had a TJ filler cap which did not seal up at all !!! Now I'm thinking dirt, sand or who knows what might have gotten into the tank
Unread 08-02-2011, 08:09 PM   #4
seankeenan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

i have the same problem. can someone help me locate the fuel filter. is it under the rear bumper? could this problem possibly be the o rings?... which i also know nothing about

my shop told me it is either a bad pump, bad filter, or bad o rings
Unread 08-03-2011, 06:27 AM   #5
TeeJay00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

What o rings???
Unread 08-03-2011, 12:40 PM   #6
seankeenan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeJay00 View Post
What o rings???
I honestly have no idea. my mech told me it could be the o rings and they sell a kit at part stores.
Unread 08-03-2011, 01:57 PM   #7
ChiliPalmer
This is Ames Mister...

1984 XJ Cherokee 

What's happening is you're losing pressure when it sits, if it's similar to the TJ then the fuel is simply flowing back into the tank so you have to crank on it to build pressure and refill the lines. On the TJ it's the anti drain back valve that goes bad so fuel pump replacement is needed but what I've read about the WJ's is that the o-ring goes bad and replacing it usually fixes the problem.

Here's a pic from the following thread that may help. It's the o-ring located inside the spring.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/...ranks-1208967/
093.jpg  

Need a server? Buy this one!

COTM - October 2012!

If you want to help the sport of offroading visit the EnviroBeat Forum!

Blue Ribbon Coalition | Idaho State 4x4 Association | UFWDA | NAXJA | The KAT Team!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrows View Post
Oh man Chili. I feel like a recovering addict that just had a bag of blow, a bottle of Jameson, and a sack dropped in his lap. You screwed me man!
ChiliPalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2011, 10:04 AM   #8
TeeJay00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiliPalmer View Post
What's happening is you're losing pressure when it sits, if it's similar to the TJ then the fuel is simply flowing back into the tank so you have to crank on it to build pressure and refill the lines. On the TJ it's the anti drain back valve that goes bad so fuel pump replacement is needed but what I've read about the WJ's is that the o-ring goes bad and replacing it usually fixes the problem.

Here's a pic from the following thread that may help. It's the o-ring located inside the spring.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/...ranks-1208967/
Ok I've tried trning the key on and off to build the pressure again but it's the same thing
Unread 08-04-2011, 10:08 AM   #9
TeeJay00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I have been reading abot this issue which seems to be a common one in WJ's... So here is what I'm gonna do. I will replace the o ring and the fuel filter first and see where that takes me ! What do you guys think??
Unread 08-04-2011, 07:56 PM   #10
ChiliPalmer
This is Ames Mister...

1984 XJ Cherokee 

That's where I would start.

Need a server? Buy this one!

COTM - October 2012!

If you want to help the sport of offroading visit the EnviroBeat Forum!

Blue Ribbon Coalition | Idaho State 4x4 Association | UFWDA | NAXJA | The KAT Team!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrows View Post
Oh man Chili. I feel like a recovering addict that just had a bag of blow, a bottle of Jameson, and a sack dropped in his lap. You screwed me man!
ChiliPalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2012, 06:01 AM   #11
TeeJay00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I'm sorry guys but I just have to bring this thread back from the grave

I still have the same long crank problem!!! I changed the O ring at first. Didn't work so i changed the whole fuel pump assembly and the fuel filter. Worked for one week and then it started to act up again

So now what??? I know it has been months since I had this problem. But I didn't have time to look into it. Now I really must fix it.
Unread 05-05-2012, 06:12 AM   #12
joze

Is the problem there all the time? Because mine does it too, but only when it's warmed up and sitting for about 30 minutes or more. In the morning it starts right up, the colder the better, and if i turn it off and start it again in like 5-10 minutes it also starts without problem.
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/my-non-build-fix-when-gets-broken-thread-1240817/"]My non-build thread[/URL]| [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/groups/black-jeep-society/"]Black Jeep Society member[/URL]
[QUOTE=Ljohn221;12072741]You can't start a new civilization without jeeps[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE=dukie564;11573618]
[B]Epic boobs saving threads since 1978[/B][/QUOTE]
joze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2012, 07:05 AM   #13
TeeJay00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joze
Is the problem there all the time? Because mine does it too, but only when it's warmed up and sitting for about 30 minutes or more. In the morning it starts right up, the colder the better, and if i turn it off and start it again in like 5-10 minutes it also starts without problem.
The problem is there all the time. After I park it for 30min or more the fuel pressure in the lines seems to drop. Then I have to turn it on and off a couple of times until the fuel fills the lines for the engine to start normally.
Unread 05-06-2012, 01:29 PM   #14
TeeJay00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Within the process of isolating the cause. Is there a fuel regulator other than the external filter in a 4.7L? Because I already replaced that when I changed the fuel filter.
Unread 05-06-2012, 02:05 PM   #15
metalhead
2000 WJ 

First off you need to check the residual fuel pressure with a fuel pressure gauge. If the system does not hold pressure with the engine off then there is a problem with a leaking injector fuel pump connectors, hoses or pressure regulator. This will cause hard starting issues.
metalhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.