Starting issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Starting issue

Huge Soft top SaleAdvance Adapters SYE KitsCurrie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!

Unread 07-15-2013, 04:39 PM   #1
dutch85

Starting issue

Hello,

I purchased a 2001 Jeep grand Cherokee Limited 4.7L V8 several months ago. It had a weak start from the get go and the starter ended up failing. I replaced the starter and it ran good for about a month. Then one day after sitting for several hours it had trouble starting. It finally kicked over and started up(note, it did not sound like a "weak" start that you would get from the starter or a battery issue). Then a few days later it did the same thing but I had to get it towed. So it sat in front of my house for some time (about a month or two) I'd try to start it every few weeks or so. Then I borrowed my friends OBD2 reader to check for codes. I get the following codes

p0601
p0340
p1391
p1494
and then it list p1391 again

after that I popped open my hood to see if I noticed anything weird. My friend had mentioned that I may want to close the idle up a little since we opened it a little after we replaced the starter. Well I didn't actually adjust it I just played with it a little(pulled it back lit it close a couple times). Then the car started I drove it around all day and it was fine. I went and put gas in it and bought some sea foam and put about half the can in the tank. Then this morning it wouldn't start again. I bought a new fuel filter and I'm going to replace it tonight. Does anybody else have any idea what might be wrong with it.

Thanks

dutch85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2013, 04:10 AM   #2
dutch85

I should add that after the jeep starts there is no sign of issues at all it runs strong. No bogging, sputtering or anything of that sort.
Unread 07-16-2013, 07:35 PM   #3
dutch85

Unread 08-21-2013, 10:06 AM   #4
swkenobi
2003 WJ 

I just had mine throw the P0340 and noticed it had a hard time starting and was getting worse. Went to the local Jeep dealer and picked up the camshaft position sensor (they price matched thankfully for $38). After looking hard at it, I realized the advice to remove the battery and tray was the best. Took me an hour (didn't realize there was a vacuum line and a connector on the bottom of the tray) but worked perfectly. CEL is gone and my 03 GC limited is running perfectly.
swkenobi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.