Stalls, shakes, and no starts... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Stalls, shakes, and no starts...

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!

Unread 04-30-2013, 03:55 PM   #1
cfsamet

Question Stalls, shakes, and no starts...

Hey everyone...

I'm at a loss here as to what to do with my Jeep. I feel like she's literally trying to kill me at this point (LOL okay, maybe not that extreme... but some days she really pushes my buttons).

First, specs:
2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
4.0 straight V6 (as I'm told)
135K+ miles

My problems:
Where do I start? It started 6 months ago (or so) with some shaking / bucking around 15 minutes after I started her up each morning. It would happen once or twice, then stop. That progressed in to stalling on occasion, but the same ~15 minutes after driving. Once stalled, it would normally start back up within a couple of tries (under 30 seconds). Additionally, I would have a really hard time starting it up after sitting for a while... so if I ran in to the grocery store and came out 20 minutes later, it could take 10-15 minutes to get it started back up.

In February, while trying to bring my newborn son home from the hospital, the Jeep decided it would die and not start right in front of the main entrance, once I loaded him inside. Very embarrassing. After about 45 minutes, it finally started up.

At that point, I replaced the spark plugs, throttle position sensor, camshaft position sensor, air charge temperature sensor... not right away... took me a couple weeks to get to it.

Seemed to run great for about a week... then started acting up again with the stalling. It always seems to run fine if I let her sit for several days at a time. If I take her out too much within a few days, the symptoms get worse quickly.

The other night while trying to get home she stalled while driving and wouldn't start up for 45 minutes or so. I haven't moved her since or tried to start again. I don't even know where to begin at this point.

I should also mention that the newest symptom I'm having (as if I didn't have enough already) is that most times, after parking the Jeep, when I go to start up again, turning the key does nothing. I have to put the thing in neutral, give it a bit of a shake, and then try the key again. This usually resolves that problem, and the starter works (whether I can get it started is another story).

One last thing... it never registers any codes when stalling on me. I wish it did so I would have something to go on. But the engine codes are clean.

So... if you're still reading at this point... thank you. Any thoughts? Take a shotgun to it???

It was suggested that maybe the ECM is going bad... I'm considering buying a new one, because I have no clue what else to try right now...

Charlie

Last edited by cfsamet; 04-30-2013 at 04:23 PM..
cfsamet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2013, 04:45 AM   #2
cherokwagoner89

Sounds like a neutral safety switch problem
cherokwagoner89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2013, 04:47 AM   #3
cherokwagoner89

I'm having the same issue with my Cherokee. I've replaced the ignition sensor and also the key tumbler in the steering column. I also have a dummy switch to start the jeep. And it's all in the wiring. Do u have a tilt wheel
cherokwagoner89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2013, 03:26 PM   #4
cfsamet

UPDATE:

I just wanted to update everyone on the final resolution.
Replacing the CRANKSHAFT position sensor took care of all the symptoms the Jeep was having. It was a pain in the butt to replace (took 3 hours, probably can do it in 30 minutes now that I know how), but well worth it.

I know this thread is getting old, but I wanted to make sure to post the final outcome for others searching this thread in the future.
cfsamet is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.