Squeaking Noise!! Need help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Squeaking Noise!! Need help

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 07-11-2013, 12:20 PM   #1
rhoadsWJ
1999 WJ 

Wj Squeaking Noise!! Need help

I have a 99 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 with a 242 transfer case. There is a squeaking noise coming form under the jeep every time it is in motion. The noise gets louder and goes with the drive shaft, also gets high pitched and stops as I start to break. I took the front drive shaft out to see it was the double cardon was going bad but it kept squeaking.

Could it be the transfer case? I just changed the fluid in it a couple months ago. Is there anything else I can try to fix this problem? But I know its not the brakes definitely drive shaft/transfer case problem.

rhoadsWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2013, 06:37 AM   #2
Buddha_Kip
2000 WJ 

only when you're moving? check front brake pads...wear sensor is a metal tab that squeals on the rotor when you are moving. when you hit the brakes, it puts pressure on this tab and the squealing goes away.
2000 WJ Limited - 2.5" Rusty's springs ¤ WAAG 1-piece front brush guard ¤ custom built WAAG nerf bars ¤ PIAA 580 lighting ¤ Custom Paint ¤ One-off Aluminum Treadplate Door Entry Guards & Rear Bumper Step ¤
1986.5 Porsche 928S - 18" Moda MD1 ¤ Autothority Chips ¤ Rear Muffler Bypass ¤ Short-Shift Kit
Grease Monkey & HNIC @ Clasik Auto
Buddha_Kip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2013, 12:19 PM   #3
Merc1973
2002 WJ 

Is your parking brake on or stuck?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Merc1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2013, 12:47 PM   #4
SirCussFreq
1999 WJ 

Some more info about exactly when it happens would be helpful. I hear the swaybar and link bushings tend to squeak when they're in need of lubrication... Could be a thousand different things without some more details.

If you bounce the car up and down while stopped, does it squeak? If so, crawl under it and have someone else bounce it, see if you can get a better idea of where it's originating.
SirCussFreq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2013, 02:44 PM   #5
cykaaro
2000 WJ 

Have you checked your rear driveshaft u-joints? Also would just check to make sure no fluid is leaking out the rear axle. Since the sound is directly proportional to your movement, would start look at whatever is moving/turning as the cause, starting with the easiest first. Not saying it isn't the tcase, but have never heard one squeal at all. Wouldn't hurt to double check the tcase fluid and see if the output shaft is leaking.

HID Quad bi-xenon + foglight retrofit
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?44572-Jeep-2000-Grand-Cherokee-WJ
cykaaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2013, 09:27 AM   #6
rhoadsWJ
1999 WJ 

The noise comes as soon as you go down the road. Both front and rear axles were replace recently and the front drive shaft has new u joints. The transfer case just had its fluid changed and there is no fluid loss anywhere that I see. I remove the front drive shaft and it still makes the noise, so I eliminated the front shaft from the equation. When I replace the front axle I checked the brakes and they were fine. The rear brakes I checked.

How can I check the rear drive shaft? Tips would be helpful. I'm hoping that it is not the T-case because they get expensive.
rhoadsWJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.