Spring Tiwer Repair - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Spring Tiwer Repair

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 09-09-2013, 08:27 AM   #1
bgohsman
1999 WJ 

Spring Tiwer Repair

So, I picked up a donor axle assembly with a good differential (unlike mine). The one problem I see is that one of the spring towers is rusted through near the top. My guess us that I'll need to either fabricate a new one or cut one off of another axle assembly and weld it in.

Anyone have any alternate thoughts/advice?

Thanks,

Brandon

image-784930890.jpg

Unread 09-09-2013, 08:34 AM   #2
cubalz
2003 TJ Wrangler 

If you have access to a welder and plasma cutter, you can make a new perch or see if you have a metal fab guy that will do it for you. I think I would have passed on that pile of rust though.
2003 Rubicon - 33x12.50x15 GY Duratracs, 15x10 MT Classic Locks, 2" BL, 2" BB, Warn Front Bumper, Garvin ATS Rear Bumper, Body Armor Extreme Rock Rails, Nth Degree Tummy Tucker, Skid Row Engine, LCA and Gas Tank Skid Plates, Teraflex Quick Disco's, Uniden Pro 520xl CB, 3' Firestik Antenna, BW Flat Fender Flares, Tom Woods DS, Currie Rear Adj Arms
cubalz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2013, 08:47 AM   #3
bgohsman
1999 WJ 

The rest of the axle assembly is actually in great shape. Most of it is still clean, black paint. It's just this one spring tower and only on the driver's side. It looks bad in the photo, but it's all surface rust except for that one area. Michigan winters eat cars.
Unread 09-10-2013, 06:06 AM   #4
bgohsman
1999 WJ 

Wj

O.k., after doing more research, this turns out to be a common problem. At least for those of us who live where snow and salted roads happen.

The rubber coil spring insulator that sits over this perch does a great job of trapping moisture, salt and sand between itself and the perch. In addition, given the nature of the coil, the insulator is constantly ground against the perch.

I did find a few places that make coil spring perch repair kits. One bolts around the axle with u-bolts. Another needs to be welded on. And these kits are quite expensive (around $200+ to do both sides).

But I found that a majority of people simply cut the tower off, grind the surface flat, weld on a base plate and weld a piece of 3" pipe on top of that. Further, I found at least one person who designed drain holes into the bottom of the assembly. So that's my plan.

Details will be forthcoming...
Unread 09-10-2013, 08:06 AM   #5
3JsWJ
2003 WJ 

Or grab a set from IRO. I think they are $20 a piece.
Unread 09-10-2013, 08:12 AM   #6
Merc1973
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3JsWJ View Post
Or grab a set from IRO. I think they are $20 a piece.
Exactly what I did...

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Merc1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2013, 08:16 AM   #7
bgohsman
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc1973 View Post
Exactly what I did...

Wow that looks like some professional work! Mine will probably look...less so. lol. Nicely done, sir.
Unread 09-10-2013, 04:25 PM   #8
2ndhandWJman
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc1973 View Post
Exactly what I did...

Where did you get those lower plates? I called IRO a few months ago asking them if they could fabricate something JUST like those so that I could use their spring locator repair pieces ( The other parts in your pic) and was told "no".
2ndhandWJman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2013, 04:54 PM   #9
nickblack
1999 WJ 

I just replaced my front axle because of this. No offense, but you certainly could have found a better axle than what you bought. I got one in great shape for $100 with a good diff. There are a million of these available. Reconsider getting one in better shape clean it up good and put a coat of POR 15 on it before you install it. By the time you buy the perches and have them welded on, you could find a better axle which will be better than welding on those perches.
nickblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2013, 05:54 PM   #10
Merc1973
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndhandWJman View Post
Where did you get those lower plates? I called IRO a few months ago asking them if they could fabricate something JUST like those so that I could use their spring locator repair pieces ( The other parts in your pic) and was told "no".
Its from IRO. Send them this picture I took of mine. That is strange they won't make that plate for you...

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Merc1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2013, 06:01 PM   #11
skain8
Under Construction

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickblack View Post
I just replaced my front axle because of this. No offense, but you certainly could have found a better axle than what you bought. I got one in great shape for $100 with a good diff. There are a million of these available. Reconsider getting one in better shape clean it up good and put a coat of POR 15 on it before you install it. By the time you buy the perches and have them welded on, you could find a better axle which will be better than welding on those perches.
What exactly is wrong with welding on new bracketry? Do explain.

'02 WJ: 4.7L, 5", HP44/9", 231HD, tall & skinny KM2's
'99 XJ: stock
'99 XJ: stolen
'06 XK: sold
231HD build guide
skain8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2013, 06:08 PM   #12
nickblack
1999 WJ 

Because for $100 you can get a much better axle than the one shown and not something cobbled together. I don't know about where you live, but locally, the junk yards have about 50 of these axles sitting on a shelf for practically nothing. Furthermore, his axle is already out of his truck and the ONLY advantage of welding on new brackets is that you can leave it on the truck and not have to spend the time and expense of removing and re installing it. If I went as far as taking it out of the truck, I certainly wouldn't weld something on. That's just me, I like things stock.
Unread 09-10-2013, 06:29 PM   #13
skain8
Under Construction

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickblack View Post
Because for $100 you can get a much better axle than the one shown and not something cobbled together. I don't know about where you live, but locally, the junk yards have about 50 of these axles sitting on a shelf for practically nothing. Furthermore, his axle is already out of his truck and the ONLY advantage of welding on new brackets is that you can leave it on the truck and not have to spend the time and expense of removing and re installing it. If I went as far as taking it out of the truck, I certainly wouldn't weld something on. That's just me, I like things stock.
Ah, yes. That makes perfect sense. First thing in the morning I will get out the plasma cutter and start to remove all the cobbled together bracketry from my 44/9".

'02 WJ: 4.7L, 5", HP44/9", 231HD, tall & skinny KM2's
'99 XJ: stock
'99 XJ: stolen
'06 XK: sold
231HD build guide
skain8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2013, 06:40 PM   #14
nickblack
1999 WJ 

That's your opinion and your entitled to it. It is asinine that you would prefer an aftermarket welded on perch, especially when the axle is out of the truck already and they are so readily available for cheap. What does your 44/9" have anything to do with this post? You the big man on campus? Throwing your weight around about your $2500 truck? Who gives a s--t?
Unread 09-10-2013, 07:21 PM   #15
99WJ539918
1999 WJ 

You know the perches are mated to the diff housing on from the factory, right? It's not a solid piece of steel. Once properly welded they'll be very strong. I live in North Jersey and I can't find a Dana 30 for anything less than $200 from a junk yard. I admit that I feel like the junk yards around me suck, though.
PSA - It would be nice if people made an attempt while typing to discuss their problems or opinions instead of one long sentence with no punctuation. Maybe I'm cynical, but that really pisses me off. Rant over.

"It's like saying I had a car I got that was painted by the previous owner. I had an accident so painting a car is unsafe." - cykaaro
99WJ539918 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.