Sporadic steering wheel position - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Sporadic steering wheel position

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 01-04-2011, 04:19 PM   #1
w0mps
2002 WJ 

Wj Sporadic steering wheel position

Just noticed this yesterday. What would cause a steering wheel to be misaligned with the wheels? I also had gotten death wobble the other day for the first time (twice in a day). After driving home from work I noticed the steering wheel was misaligned.

Unread 01-04-2011, 04:23 PM   #2
smunns

Do you have the basic RC 4" lift? Are you running the track bar drop bracket? If so, I bet it's loose causing your axle to shift when you hit bumps. It would also cause death wobble. Replace the bracket and stock track bar with a JKS track bar. Also ditch the drop pitman arm if you're running it.
smunns is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2011, 04:25 PM   #3
w0mps
2002 WJ 

Yep looks like I have the stock track bar and a drop bracket. I guess I should try tightening it up, perhaps loctite, until spring when I start upgrading.
Unread 01-04-2011, 04:27 PM   #4
smunns

Quote:
Originally Posted by w0mps View Post
Yep looks like I have the stock track bar and a drop bracket. I guess I should try tightening it up, perhaps loctite, until spring when I start upgrading.
That should help, but odds are it will keep coming loose. I ditched the drop pitman arm and replaced the track bar drop bracket and stock track bar with a JKS track bar, and it's night and day difference. If you go the JKS route, PM Kolak, he has great prices on them.
Unread 01-04-2011, 04:28 PM   #5
w0mps
2002 WJ 

Sweet! Sounds good. I just noticed you have the same lift as I do. I am considering doing 265/70's with my stock 17" Avila's. What do you think?
Unread 01-04-2011, 04:31 PM   #6
smunns

Quote:
Originally Posted by w0mps View Post
Sweet! Sounds good. I just noticed you have the same lift as I do. I am considering doing 265/70's with my stock 17" Avila's. What do you think?
Check out my build thread. (Link in my sig.) I ran the same combo when I first got my Jeep. I'd recommend at least wheel spacers if you want to run those wheels with 265/70's.
Unread 01-04-2011, 04:39 PM   #7
w0mps
2002 WJ 

I am in the process of reading your build now, pure sexiness. Awesome fab work too.

I've heard bad things about wheel spacers, how they're unsafe, especially while wheelin', so I don't really want to run them. My next choice was to go with new wheels (16x8 with 5" backspacing). Just because it will bring the tire out a little farther, the tire is about $100 cheaper than a 17" and I have a white WJ, so in my opinion, a flat black wheel looks great with the white body.
Unread 01-04-2011, 04:46 PM   #8
smunns

As long as you get a quality spacer, and keep it torqued properly, they are fine. I've run a couple of different sets on a couple of different Jeeps for probably 30k+ miles without any problems. New wheels are the ideal way to go though. I only run spacers because I got a great deal on the JK moabs I run.
Unread 01-04-2011, 04:51 PM   #9
w0mps
2002 WJ 

What do you recommend for a wheel spacer? I've never had to use them... I'd really like to rock the stocker wheels!
Unread 01-04-2011, 05:02 PM   #10
smunns

Spidertrax are probably the best, but I've had good lock with my Rough Country spacers.
Unread 01-04-2011, 05:14 PM   #11
w0mps
2002 WJ 

Cool, thanks for the info man!
Unread 01-04-2011, 05:29 PM   #12
w0mps
2002 WJ 

Just took a peek at my trackbar and also noticed the P.O. welded the drop bracket to the stock one.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.