Speedometer Problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Speedometer Problem

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all JKS Products @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 05-20-2013, 05:45 PM   #1
jote8

Wj Speedometer Problem

Hi Friends, I need your help!!

My Jeep (WJ - 2004)

I have a problem with the speedometer.
- start from 40 kph (24.8 mph).
- returns to 0 kph only when I remove the key contact.
- is a normal operation when accelerated, but as a starting point is 40 Kph.
- check both speed sensors in the transmission, disconnect both sensors, but the speedometer starting from 40 Kph !!
- perform the test board and runs correctly,ok.
- the ignition automatically give the marker is located in the 40 Kph

Please your help

Greetings from Chile

jote8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2013, 05:53 PM   #2
lazyWJ
2002 WJ 

I can't help you but I love your wine.
"Bought, Not Built"
lazyWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2013, 06:01 PM   #3
rm2001wj
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Speedometer operation does not use the transmission speed sensors. Instead, the ABS controller uses wheel speed sensor signals to generate a vehicle speed signal. Unfortunately, I have no useful information on why the speedometer does not start at zero like it should.
Unread 05-22-2013, 01:52 PM   #4
jote8

Hi rm2001wj, Thanks!

I have an idea about this, a cable may be defective wheel, keep them informed

lazyWJ, of course chile wine is very good, especially in my town (Santa Cruz, Colchagua Valley)
jote8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2013, 02:00 PM   #5
Schlotzky
2007 XK Commander 

Has the cluster been recently taken apart? My first thought was someone took the needle off the speedo and replaced it with the ignition off. The needle should be pressed on at 0 km/h with the ignition in the "on" position.
Schlotzky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2013, 02:45 PM   #6
RIPNBST
2004 WJ 

How often are you traveling below 25 mph that your speed must be known? It would bug me like crazy but you probably don't really need to fix it either.

Schlotsky I don't think that is it because at 10 mph actual speed his speedo would read ~35 mph if that were the case. It would be constantly off by the margin of ~25 mph. If I read his post correctly the needle is stationary up until ~25 mph and then accurate after that.

EDIT: Just read the OP again, Schlotsky may be right. English as a second language confused me.
RIPNBST is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.