Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Speaker Upgrade Help

3K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  jeepsterpitt 
#1 ·
Looking to upgrade my WJ speakers with Infinity System plan on changing all 6 speakers looking to spend 100-150$ in total after some research I read in infinity systems the front 6x9 were subwoofers only would that effect the kind of speakers I can get? thanks in advance!

#4 ·
Me too.....probably the best stock system I've had with the exception of the thirteen speaker Bose system I had in my old Audi A8 V8.... but that was in a rather different price bracket when new! All I've replaced were the door speakers....they did not like being under water too much. They dried out and worked ok.....but were a bit crackly and one died soon after..lol.

#6 ·
if you go with 6.5's in the front doors the crossover in the amp will prevent the tweeters from working just like any speaker.
I just replaced the dash speakers and used 2ways in the rear doors. For bass, I added a small amp next to the Infinity, tapped off the front door output at the connector and added a 2x10 sub in the back.
I bought a couple infinity amps to see why some people had 2ohm rear door speakers and some did not. It seems one of the revisions on the amp part# made the rear doors 4ohm standard, not 2 ohm anymore. I measured my rear doors and they were indeed 2ohm, thus the experiment. I replaced them with Infinity 6.5 2ways at 2ohm.

Also a BIG factor in volume level is don't put some 300oz magnet speakers in there because the amp is a very low output amp and will strain to power them to loud volumes. When using the OEM amp, bigger is not better.

#8 ·
the infinity amp powers each pair separately. There are 3 amps in the infinity. the front are crossovered at around 250Hz up for the dash 250Hz down for the doors and the back is full range. It puts out about ~15 watts per channel, so my suggestion of not buying 300oz magnet speakers that can hold 500watts cause the amp will barely have enough power to get them to move. Heres my baby amp powering my 2x10. Free out of a junkyard car and wjjeeps has the wiring diagrams for the infinity so it was easy.

The spacial effect and overall tone of the OEM is decent as many people will tell you but if you want REAL bass and a blow-you-away system you will have to invest in a sub and all new gear and spend some cash.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.