Spark Plugs - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Spark Plugs

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 12-14-2003, 06:17 PM   #1
baseball_coach

Spark Plugs

My 2000 GC has 40,000 miles on it and I would like to change the spark plugs in the I-6 engine. I am no mechanic but have manage to do this type of work on all the vehicles that I have owned. The only problem with this job is I have not been able to even find the location of the plugs in the motor to determine if this is something I should take on. Can someone advise me on this or provide a website with pictures or instructions. This may be a jop for the dealer. Thanks in advace.

baseball_coach is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-15-2003, 07:28 AM   #2
ccyoder

Hey Coach:
Changing the plugs out in this type of engine is not hard to do...once you figure out where they're at! If you're looking at your engine from the front of your jeep, you'll find the plugs on the passenger side near the top of the engine. The plugs are hidden underneath a coil pack (I think that's what it's called) secured by 4 head bolts. The coil pack is black, about 18 inches long and about 2.5 inches wide and is attached to the engine at a 45 degree angle. It's directly beside your engine oil dipstick.

Take the 4 bolts out (13mm socket), pull the pack off and remove and replace the plugs. The only other advice that I'd give you is to use the OE Champion plugs. I know they don't have the best reputation, but they are the plugs the jeeps's I6 were designed around and work best in my opinion. I've tried Bosch plat's, autolite, ac delco and the champion's produced the smoothest idle and best performance in the jeep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseball_coach
My 2000 GC has 40,000 miles on it and I would like to change the spark plugs in the I-6 engine. I am no mechanic but have manage to do this type of work on all the vehicles that I have owned. The only problem with this job is I have not been able to even find the location of the plugs in the motor to determine if this is something I should take on. Can someone advise me on this or provide a website with pictures or instructions. This may be a jop for the dealer. Thanks in advace.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.