Spark Plug Trivia - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Spark Plug Trivia

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 10-28-2003, 08:01 AM   #1
ccyoder

Spark Plug Trivia

Alright everyone. Who's the expert who can figure this one out?

I have a 99 JGCL 4.0L with the infinity sound system. Shortly after I bought the jeep, I began to tune it and first changed out the air filter and plugs. I took the old plugs out and replaced them with a set of champion platinum plugs, gapped to .35 as spec'd.

Following the plug change, at idle, my infinity tweeters began to cut in and out, as if someone was jiggling some lose wires. But this only happened at idle and only in the tweeters. So I checked all conections in the amp, radio, speakers, etc and everything was good.

Because the coincidence of it all, I pulled the plugs back out to make sure nothing was over/under gapped and put them back in, thinking an overgapped plug may cause some sort of voltage drop that affected the stereo. A week later, I pulled them once more and they looked fine, except that number 3 and 6 looked a little too carbon coated for two weeks of use and put them back in. While I was pulling the plugs the second time, I dropped two of them onto a hard tile floor. By visual inspection, they both looked fine, so I put them back in, but I could tell by the way the engine ran that something was a little of---and of course, the tweeters still cut in and out at idle.

Long story short, I bought and installed new bosch platinum plugs and replaced all six champion plugs. the result? The jeep runs great and the tweeters in the dash no longer cut in and out at idle.

So who's the spark plug master whose going to figure this one out?

ccyoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2003, 01:20 PM   #2
iroc22

I heard of that happening with wires that have poor RFI surpression, not plugs however.
1928 Ford Model A - Street Rod Project
iroc22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2003, 01:36 PM   #3
ccyoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by iroc22
I heard of that happening with wires that have poor RFI surpression, not plugs however.
What's RFI surpression? Should I replace the coil pack (I think that's what its called) that tells the plugs to spark?
Unread 10-28-2003, 03:12 PM   #4
ccyoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccyoder
What's RFI surpression? Should I replace the coil pack (I think that's what its called) that tells the plugs to spark?
Okay. I'v done some research on RFI supression and will just leave the bosch plugs in. Thanks for your help.
Unread 10-28-2003, 04:30 PM   #5
BostonBull
2004 WJ 

I say....

CHAMPION plugs SUCK ***!!!!! Thats your problem!!

[SIZE=3][FONT=franklin gothic medium][COLOR=red][B] 81[/B][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
BostonBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2003, 04:36 PM   #6
imnotu

how much did those bosch platinum plugs cost you... ?
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][URL=Http://zbt.case.edu/myjeep.jpg][COLOR=White][B]White 1995 ZJ[/B][/COLOR][/URL] I6 w/ Selec-Trac, Plush Leather Seats (powered in front), JVC MP3 deck [B](STOLEN)[/B], [URL="http://www.crutchfield.com/S-8HSG1sJ380J/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?I=113KDCX889"]New Kenwood KDC-X889 Deck[/URL] (Insurance messed up and gave me this instead), [url=http://www.crutchfield.com/S-nZpmrQWOhBc/cgi-bin/prodview.asp?I=130TSA1680&search=Pioneer+TSA1680R]Pioneer TS-A1680R Speakers[/url], Remote Start, Optima Red Top, 180 Thermostat, Kolak Performance 2.5" exhaust components: (Car Sound high flow converter, Magnaflow large case muffler, mandrel bent tailpipe), 16x8 Rubicon Rims with 245/70 Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo Tires, Rancho SS, Mopar Skids all around, Tow hooks front and back, Bilstein Heavy Duty Shocks and Clear Corners. [B]149/B], and still going stro... OK My transfer case can a small leak... damnit!.

[URL=https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_xclick&business=imnotu001@hotmail.com&item_name=Donations%20for%20a%20Poor%20Kid]Donations are Appreciated[/URL]
[/FONT]
imnotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2003, 07:34 AM   #7
ccyoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by imnotu
how much did those bosch platinum plugs cost you... ?
The bosch plats cost about 2.25 each. I should add that I usually just stick to cooper core plugs, especially for a jeep engine, but the bosch plats in there now make the jeep run much better/smoother/quieter than the mopar/autolite and champion plugs that I've had in there before. I haven't tried the plat2 or plat 4's yet, and am not sure that I will. I"ll probably just stay with the standard plats next tune up, unless I hear some convincing evidence in this forum that there's a significant performance increase in the plat2/4 plugs.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.