Something died in there - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Something died in there

JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFAlloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 11-02-2011, 10:24 PM   #1
keith20mm
2000 WJ 

Something died in there

Oh great....

I parked my 2000 WJ out on the slab for a couple of weeks last month while I had to keep my trailer under cover for a while.

Something climbed/slithered/crawled into the cabin, probably through the gear shift lever hole, or maybe some a/c vent... mouse, snake, gecko, lizard, etc...

and, of course, left droppings around, and then died.

So, in the left rear D-pillar trim is this dead stink, surely coming out of the slots that are just inboard of where the fuel filler door is located, maybe just aft of that, in the left rear interior corner.

I need to remove the D-pillar trim to extricate whatever is dead in there.

Do any forum members have any tips on how to remove the D-pillar trim under the left rear window, without wrecking the plastic or the retaining clips?

The SM shows to remove the liftgate upper trim by pulling downward, and hopefully not breaking any pins off, and then pull the D-pillar trim inward.

So, who's done it, and what to watch out for, other than deadness?

Thanks in advance!

keith20mm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2011, 10:26 PM   #2
Falkon
2004 WJ 

Here you are ... http://www.wjjeeps.com/power_outlet.htm#QTRIM
Falkon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2011, 10:30 PM   #3
Jeepgcl9947

My jeep was sitting for along time and I got in and it smelled horrible there was a dead rat under pass seat don't know how it got there!
Jeepgcl9947 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2011, 10:10 AM   #4
keith20mm
2000 WJ 

Ok, culprit located and removed... only one broken plastic piece, and that's the just-aft-of-center of panel support which is about 2" tall with a skimpy plastic shell mold pattern.... nothing a quart of JB Weld can't fix. Tip to those pulling panels... use a 1x2 about 16" long to reach down to the clip area, then rotate the stick to pry the clips out. The clips are open on one side, and this allows the clip end to get behind the steel hull. Of course, this will either bend the clip into a somewhat straightened form, pull the other gripper end of the clip off of the plastic fin flange, or tear the plastic flange off of the panel.... mostly, go very slowly.

Thanks, Falkon, for the URL to the panel removal writeup... greatly appreciated.

...and, here's the star:

keith20mm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2011, 10:18 AM   #5
Tezzating
2000 WJ 

Ahhhh I feel ya pain man ! The overhead computer in my wifes WJ was full of M&M's, Cheezies and mouse dirt, so we spent the whole weekend gutting the thing looking for dead mice, and found their nest in the roof disinfection time !
Tezzating is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.