someone school me on WJ's - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > someone school me on WJ's

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 11-16-2010, 03:44 PM   #31
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhicks View Post
] Are there any models that have the v8 with the Select Trac(242) transfer case? If so, do any of the 242 transfer case models come with the varilok diffs? Also do all limiteds have the 247 or can you get a limited with the 242? The reason for the questions is simple I am VERY particular about what I want. I really want a v8 with the 242 and veriloc axles. My fear is that the only way this can happen is that I need to find a v8 limited with the Quadra Drive and then swap in a 242. If that's the case I need to start doing my homework on what's involved in that swap. One last question what is the "blend door issue" I keep seeing referenced?
1)Yes. The Laredo V8 will almost always have the SelecTrac unless it was special-ordered otherwise.

2)No, none of the 242 models have Varilok diffs. You need QuadraDrive for that which always came with a 247.

3)The limiteds all have 247s. As mentioned before, 247 + Open diffs = QuadraTracII, 247+Variloks = QuadraDrive.

4)Pretty much everyone wants a V8 with 242 and Variloks...and your fear is correct. Start with a QuadraDrive rig, then add the 242 and you have "SelecDrive".

billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2010, 03:59 PM   #32
bhicks
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
1)Yes. The Laredo V8 will almost always have the SelecTrac unless it was special-ordered otherwise.

2)No, none of the 242 models have Varilok diffs. You need QuadraDrive for that which always came with a 247.

3)The limiteds all have 247s. As mentioned before, 247 + Open diffs = QuadraTracII, 247+Variloks = QuadraDrive.

4)Pretty much everyone wants a V8 with 242 and Variloks...and your fear is correct. Start with a QuadraDrive rig, then add the 242 and you have "SelecDrive".
Thanks for the info.
Present- 2002 WJ Overland, 242HD(going in soon) 4.5" Teraflex/JKS lift, JCR Sliders, TAG bumpers, 33" Muds, 17" JK Moabs ( Future- 2012 JK Rubicon)
bhicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2010, 12:26 AM   #33
Skele
2004 WJ 

Awesome thread!! Im a noob and just bought my WJ, quick question. Does anyone on here have a hardcore WJ? ie: possibly 1 ton axels (D60 high pinion front, D60rear), atlas tcase, or a doubler of some sort? And 35" or bigger wheels?? Hydraulic assist steering, and high steer tie rod. This is what im looking to do w my WJ, as its what i have in my ramcharger. Im looking at that iceland kit as well. Does anyone know what theyre wide body kit cost. Or a ball park figure at least?
Has anyone ever ran unimog axels under a WJ?
Thanks
Skele
Skele is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2010, 07:18 AM   #34
bigV
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skele View Post
Awesome thread!! Im a noob and just bought my WJ, quick question. Does anyone on here have a hardcore WJ? ie: possibly 1 ton axels (D60 high pinion front, D60rear), atlas tcase, or a doubler of some sort? And 35" or bigger wheels?? Hydraulic assist steering, and high steer tie rod. This is what im looking to do w my WJ, as its what i have in my ramcharger. Im looking at that iceland kit as well. Does anyone know what theyre wide body kit cost. Or a ball park figure at least?
Has anyone ever ran unimog axels under a WJ?
Thanks
Skele
those axle swaps will be tuff on a WJ - unibody, but anything can be done, unimogs will be hard also because the front axles need a lot of room to turn, they swing back and forth, they don't pivot like a typical axle. my buddy has mog axles sitting in his yard, he's not sure yet what to put them on - XJ, ZJ, K20 or suburban, he's got too many rigs. look on pirate4x4, there's a guy selling a heavily modded WJ, I think it's called white whale
Unread 11-17-2010, 09:31 AM   #35
JustJoeyK138
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by esoxhntr View Post
having owned both an xj and wj my advice, in (overly?) simplistic terms, is this:

if you are looking for a trail rig that you can pack your family into, get an xj.

if you are looking for a rig to pack your family into and go on trails, get a wj.

they're both jeeps and both capable.

xj's have much more aftermarket support, you have many more options and i would say if you're looking to run 33in tires, you would likely be able to do so more easily. that is not to say that a wj cannot be built into a serious off road machine though.
Good response, I have an XJ and a WJ as well, both 2000 with I6 in them and 4X4. Great rigs, we have had very good luck with them.(Knocks on wood)
JustJoeyK138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2010, 04:15 PM   #36
bigV
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I test drove a 99 GC today with QT2.... my question is can I add lunchbox lockers to it? seems like I couldn't do it up front in the d30 since it has power, but the d44a would be ok, just have normal locker quirks on the road
Unread 11-17-2010, 05:09 PM   #37
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Well, no WJ had QuadraDriveII, so let's figure out what you have there... you have a choice of QuadraTRACII or QuadraDrive (no 2). If it was QT2, then yes, you can add a lunchbox locker to the rear and any differential you like (a selectable locker or limited slip) to the front. If it was QD, then the short answer is no. The long answer is yes, but only if you replace the axle shafts AND differential carrier. You are better off starting with a SelecTrac or QuadraTracII rig if you are hell-bent on using lunchbox lockers. Or, you could give the VariLoks in the QD a chance. There's a reason that the WJ won 4x4 Of The Year in 1999. They are much better than the TracLok limited slips that everyone hates.
Unread 11-17-2010, 08:50 PM   #38
bigV
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
Well, no WJ had QuadraDriveII, so let's figure out what you have there... you have a choice of QuadraTRACII or QuadraDrive (no 2). If it was QT2, then yes, you can add a lunchbox locker to the rear and any differential you like (a selectable locker or limited slip) to the front. If it was QD, then the short answer is no. The long answer is yes, but only if you replace the axle shafts AND differential carrier. You are better off starting with a SelecTrac or QuadraTracII rig if you are hell-bent on using lunchbox lockers. Or, you could give the VariLoks in the QD a chance. There's a reason that the WJ won 4x4 Of The Year in 1999. They are much better than the TracLok limited slips that everyone hates.
I meant QT2....I think I'm going to give the QD a chance unless I find a super nice GC with the other systems, I'm not a huge fan of lunchbox lockers, they're just sooo cheap and easy to install. I really don't want a lunchbox in the rear axle anyways and that's all there is for the d44a, so if I get to where I absolutely need a locker, then I'll just have to swap in another axle.

so if I find a selectrac I can thro an auto locker in front no sweat since I can run in 2wd just couldn't use 4wd fulltime on street, and if I get a QT2 it'll have to be a selectable locker since I need to have someway to unlock the front. QD will require new shafts and carriers if I want lockers. got it
I guess manual front hubs would be another option to run an auto locker in the front with the QT2, but then a 242 swap would probably be cheaper
Unread 11-17-2010, 09:15 PM   #39
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

PS. Most V8 WJs, even the Laredo WILL come with the 247 because Quadratrac 2 was STANDARD on V8 WJs. The 242HD was an option which is why they are so rare!

SOLD 01 WJ Ltd | i6 | QT2 | Moog HD steering | Tow Package | Boston Acoustics Audio | RB1 | Lou's Catback | Stone White |

Matt
compcrasher86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2010, 09:24 AM   #40
bigV
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I was wondering if there is a switch to turn the passenger side air bag off? My 00 TJ had it, do the WJ's have that feature?
Unread 11-21-2010, 12:31 PM   #41
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

The WJ series did not come with the pass side disablement that I've ever been aware of.

My setup might be for sale. Read my sig for details.....we're looking at a WK now.
Changes & fixes: Rear Addco sway bar & greasble bushings, upgraded headlights, upgraded tail lights, new hood struts (replaced 2X), new rear hatchglass struts, new radiator (replaced 3X), new oil pressure sending unit (replaced 4X), 2 new speed sensors, 2 new door lock actuators, new ignition key cylinder, chrome front tow hooks, Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/30, Purolator Pure One oil filter, EBC slotted & dimpled rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads, new front shocks (replaced 3X), new rear shocks (replaced 2X), new IRO steering stabilizer, new timing chain cover, new water pump, thermostat, new thermostat housing, new high pressure power steering hose, Michelin-X radials, new sunroof assembly, new single-piece lug nuts, new exhaust manifold studs & gasket on driver's side, new Durango alternator. Jeepforum.com sticker, Visit cobaltboatsforum.com when you can!
Double E is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2010, 05:09 PM   #42
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigV View Post
I was wondering if there is a switch to turn the passenger side air bag off? My 00 TJ had it, do the WJ's have that feature?
WJs do not but if you get a special National Highway Traffic and Safety (NHTSA) form you can bring it in to the dealership and pay for a passenger airbag disable switch to be installed

SOLD 01 WJ Ltd | i6 | QT2 | Moog HD steering | Tow Package | Boston Acoustics Audio | RB1 | Lou's Catback | Stone White |

Matt
compcrasher86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2010, 07:13 PM   #43
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double E View Post
My setup might be for sale. Read my sig for details.....we're looking at a WK now.
Keep the WJ! Or skip over to the WK2. My mom bought one based on all my good Jeep experiences over the last 3 years. While I think the $60,000 price tag was a little steep (dealer mark-up of $10000 over base price) it is an awesome rig. Petersen's 4x4 & Off Road also gave it a favorable review. It's a different class of 4x4 (competing with Range Rover, X5, and MB's G-series) and a lot of people don't like that about it, but that kind of thinking could really bring some cash-flow into the Jeep brand.
Unread 11-21-2010, 07:38 PM   #44
bigV
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by compcrasher86 View Post
WJs do not but if you get a special National Highway Traffic and Safety (NHTSA) form you can bring it in to the dealership and pay for a passenger airbag disable switch to be installed
yikes! I hate to wonder what that would cost
Unread 11-21-2010, 07:45 PM   #45
straty1987

this sounds odd to me.
but why would you want a switch to turn the passenger side air bag off?

i understand them going on/off automatically like in most cars today, but i have seen when a kid sits on the seat the air bag dose not go to the on position.
straty1987 is online now   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.