someone school me on WJ's - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > someone school me on WJ's

Artec Flash Sale - 15% off and Free Shipping over $300Rugged Ridge Bumpers, Winches, Performance from CCOR!JK Front Axle Truss

Unread 11-15-2010, 05:43 AM   #16
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Same cases, yes. And yes, it's all in the axles adding the "drive". And about the VariLoks.... they are leaps and bounds ahead of the TracLoc they replaced....these actually WORK.

Lastly - the 242 is desirable (in my opinion) for its ability to have 4 HI with a locked center diff which the 247 does not offer. Also, in 4FT, it offers 50/50 torque split front/rear where the 247 is 90% rear/10% front. I'm not interested in 2wd.

billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2010, 11:55 AM   #17
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

This is one of the best threads I've seen in awhile for how to select a WJ.

There are Laredo units out there with V8s and other options. None will have the blend door issue. Some have Leather and the stuff inmy sig.

Brakes will need to be upgraded on any WJ you get.
Expect for the leather steering wheel cover to be worn out.
The CD changer is problematic and if you don't have one, you're gaining a storage compartment.
There's a thread around here that describes how to add in an overhead light to the rear hatch for when it's open. Consider doing it!
Do not get a unit that has rust under it in areas such as the oil pan.
The headlights will fog over but there are replacements that are easy to add.
Front tow hooks require a mounting bracket as well to install. Get both brackets. The front bumper is a cinch to remove. Be sure to disconnect the wiring to the foglights before removing.
It will probably require a radiator swap if it has never had one. (easy to do)
Changes & fixes: Rear Addco sway bar & greasble bushings, upgraded headlights, upgraded tail lights, new hood struts (replaced 2X), new rear hatchglass struts, new radiator (replaced 3X), new oil pressure sending unit (replaced 4X), 2 new speed sensors, 2 new door lock actuators, new ignition key cylinder, chrome front tow hooks, Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/30, Purolator Pure One oil filter, EBC slotted & dimpled rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads, new front shocks (replaced 3X), new rear shocks (replaced 2X), new IRO steering stabilizer, new timing chain cover, new water pump, thermostat, new thermostat housing, new high pressure power steering hose, Michelin-X radials, new sunroof assembly, new single-piece lug nuts, new exhaust manifold studs & gasket on driver's side, new Durango alternator. Jeepforum.com sticker, Visit cobaltboatsforum.com when you can!
Double E is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2010, 03:36 PM   #18
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

I disagree that all WJs need brake upgrades. All pre-2002 models, maybe. The earlier rigs had Teves/ATE calipers that did not clamp the rotor evenly and caused all sorts of warped rotor issues. They were updated with Akebono calipers which solved the problem. All 2002+ and most earlier rigs have been updated. Some have not. You can find pics of each very easily.

I also disagree that the steering wheel should be worn out. Mine is in great condition at 110k.
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2010, 08:44 PM   #19
bigV
1991 YJ Wrangler 

thanks for all the help guys...I test drove a 00 WJ Limited today, let's just say the guy wasn't totally honest with me about the condition, it drove pretty good, the motor was strong but was leaking pretty bad, the rear passenger side looked like it had been hit too, plus the AC didn't work, nor the pwr driver seat . oh well, at least I got to drive one and get a feel for it. I think I'm hooked...I've got an appointment tomorrow with an auto auction house to look at a 99 Limited and 00 Limited, maybe I'll drive one home tomorrow night
Unread 11-15-2010, 09:44 PM   #20
bigV
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I thought of another question...are the rear d44a c-clip shafts?
Unread 11-15-2010, 09:56 PM   #21
bigV
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigV View Post
I thought of another question...are the rear d44a c-clip shafts?
hey, I found my own answer....ZJ d44a's had c-clip shafts, WJ's do not
Unread 11-16-2010, 10:36 AM   #22
bhicks
2002 WJ 

After reading through this thread I have a few questions. Are there any models that have the v8 with the Select Trac(242) transfer case? If so, do any of the 242 transfer case models come with the varilok diffs? Also do all limiteds have the 247 or can you get a limited with the 242? The reason for the questions is simple I am VERY particular about what I want. I really want a v8 with the 242 and veriloc axles. My fear is that the only way this can happen is that I need to find a v8 limited with the Quadra Drive and then swap in a 242. If that's the case I need to start doing my homework on what's involved in that swap. One last question what is the "blend door issue" I keep seeing referenced?
bhicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2010, 10:51 AM   #23
bigV
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhicks View Post
After reading through this thread I have a few questions. Are there any models that have the v8 with the Select Trac(242) transfer case? If so, do any of the 242 transfer case models come with the varilok diffs? Also do all limiteds have the 247 or can you get a limited with the 242? The reason for the questions is simple I am VERY particular about what I want. I really want a v8 with the 242 and veriloc axles. My fear is that the only way this can happen is that I need to find a v8 limited with the Quadra Drive and then swap in a 242. If that's the case I need to start doing my homework on what's involved in that swap. One last question what is the "blend door issue" I keep seeing referenced?
the vari-lok axles only come with the 247 t-case, the 247 without vari-lok axles is quadra trac 2, with vari-lok axles it's called quadra drive

the blend door issue is found on limited models with auto climate control, the heater no longer works because the blend door malfunctions and does not divert the air properly, looks like an easy fix tho
Unread 11-16-2010, 10:57 AM   #24
bhicks
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigV View Post
the vari-lok axles only come with the 247 t-case, the 247 without vari-lok axles is quadra trac 2, with vari-lok axles it's called quadra drive

the blend door issue is found on limited models with auto climate control, the heater no longer works because the blend door malfunctions and does not divert the air properly, looks like an easy fix tho
Thanks for the info. So.... I want the 242 t-case and I want the varilok axles. I guess I want my cake and I want to eat it too. So I now arrive at my final question. Can I swap a 247 t-case out of a a v8 limited with quadradrive and replace it with a 242 t-case? I'm sure there are threads on this and I will do my homework/research on this but I don't want to waste my time if the answer is no. I really just need a yes or no answer and I will figure out the rest.
Unread 11-16-2010, 12:32 PM   #25
drwolcot

2002 WJ 

yes plain and simple. You will just need the drive shaft from the donor vehicle as well as it is shorter.

|
|
2002 WJ Overland | 4.7 H.O. | Clayton 6in LA | LSR Bumper | JKS discos | JKS Track Bar | KOR SS | BFG KM2's 285/75/17 | Carolina Front/Rear Driveshaft | Quadradrive | 125k Miles
|
|
RIP
|4.7 | 242HD | 2WD-->4WD Conversion | Vari-Lock front D30 | D44a Aussie Locker | Hybrid RCX 4in + BB | IronMan FUCA's | D30 Solid Diff Cover | Carolina Front Driveshaft | JCR Stage 3 Sliders | E-Fan Conversion | Hard-KOR SS|
WJ 2WD-->4WD Conversion Build Thread
|
|
2003 WJ Overland - SOLD
drwolcot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2010, 12:57 PM   #26
bhicks
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwolcot View Post
yes plain and simple. You will just need the drive shaft from the donor vehicle as well as it is shorter.
Thank you. Wont the shifter, linkage, and interior plastic bezel need to be swapped out for the 242 set up? It looks like it's time to get to work figuring out the exact parts needed to make that happen.
Unread 11-16-2010, 01:01 PM   #27
bhicks
2002 WJ 

Quote:
I just looked at the stats in your sig. You have the exact set up I want. (Jedi mind trick in use) YOU WANT TO SALE YOUR WJ TO ME.
Unread 11-16-2010, 01:31 PM   #28
drwolcot

2002 WJ 

Quote:
I just looked at the stats in your sig. You have the exact set up I want. (Jedi mind trick in use) YOU WANT TO SALE YOUR WJ TO ME.
That really made me laugh! I think not good sir I have put to much into it to let it go. A lot of blood and sweat and ummmmmmm $$$$$$$ I spent on this vehicle Unless something catastrophic happens.. it will always be in my possession.

|
|
2002 WJ Overland | 4.7 H.O. | Clayton 6in LA | LSR Bumper | JKS discos | JKS Track Bar | KOR SS | BFG KM2's 285/75/17 | Carolina Front/Rear Driveshaft | Quadradrive | 125k Miles
|
|
RIP
|4.7 | 242HD | 2WD-->4WD Conversion | Vari-Lock front D30 | D44a Aussie Locker | Hybrid RCX 4in + BB | IronMan FUCA's | D30 Solid Diff Cover | Carolina Front Driveshaft | JCR Stage 3 Sliders | E-Fan Conversion | Hard-KOR SS|
|
|
2003 WJ Overland - SOLD
Unread 11-16-2010, 01:35 PM   #29
drwolcot

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Thank you. Wont the shifter, linkage, and interior plastic bezel need to be swapped out for the 242 set up? It looks like it's time to get to work figuring out the exact parts needed to make that happen.
no you can actually use the same shifter... you can either make marking on the shifter for the different positions of the t-case or you can just buy the bezel to swap out (plastic cover)

or if you are lucky you can find the whole thing in immaculate condition. I only paid $45 dollars for my 242 shifter shipped and was nearly flawless.

|
|
|
|
RIP
|
|
2003 WJ Overland - SOLD
Unread 11-16-2010, 01:41 PM   #30
bhicks
2002 WJ 

Quote:
no you can actually use the same shifter... you can either make marking on the shifter for the different positions of the t-case or you can just buy the bezel to swap out (plastic cover)

or if you are lucky you can find the whole thing in immaculate condition. I only paid $45 dollars for my 242 shifter shipped and was nearly flawless.
Sweet. I fully understand your unwillingness to sale your rig. I have hundreds of labor hours and thousands of dollars put into my XJ and I am way too attached to it now to sale. Once you bleed on your rig and have it cause numerous fights between you and the wife on why you NEED this new part, you just become too attached to let it go. Thank God my wife hasn't made the final ultimatem, "It's either ME or the Jeep" because then who will cook for me. What a bastard I am. Honey, if you accidentally read this post, I'm am just kidding. Now what's for diner?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.