Some update of idle, aaceleration, stall problem I have yesterday. And questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Some update of idle, aaceleration, stall problem I have yesterday. And questions

JKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 04-02-2012, 06:59 AM   #1
lucer105

Some update of idle, aaceleration, stall problem I have yesterday. And questions

Below was my problem yesterday, and after I cleaned the throttle plate and TB, everything went back to normal.

But I do have a question to ask: if the rough idle, poor aceleration and stall are all caused by a dirty TB, that means not enough air got into the engine and mix with gas, so the exhaust should have more unburnt gas in it, and there should be CEL.....but there was no code, make me confused....

In contrast, if fuel system is clogged ( less gas and more air), the symptom should have no code....

Am I right in the above analysis? Anybody?

And is there anyone have ever seen a clogged fuel injector, do they really get clogged or die because of electrical failure?

Hey guys, I need your suggestion(s) here.....

Jeep: 2002 Grand Cherokee wj laredo sport, I6 4.0L

Problem: The problems happened after a 3-4 mile hill climbing with avg. speed around 20mph.

When the jeep was idling, the rpm dropped to ~500 or even lower, but it can be rescued (the rpm surged to 1500 then back to normal for a while, and then repeat the above again)

The jeep can still run, and when she was running, you hit the gas peddle, the rpm won't go above 1k rpm, and the jeep had a hard time to move forward...
The speed can increase by the surge of the rpm. If you keep the rpm stay above 1.5k rpm, she ran well, but when I came to a stop, sometimes she would stall(the rpm drop to zero with no rescue surge at all)

Questions:
1. There is no code coming out, and there is no irregular smell in the exhaust.
2. The first thing I was thinking about is the TPS, I changed the current TPS 1.5 years ago.
3. The second thing I was thinking about is the camshaft position sensor, but there is no code....
4. The mechanic from O'reilly recommend sea-foam/fuel injector cleaner.

What do you think guys? Other than those, the only thing I can think about is I caught a turtle in the middle of the road....(set him/her free eventually in a lake)

Thanks~ Look forward to your suggestions.

lucer105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2013, 03:30 PM   #2
Highschool_WJ
1999 WJ 

I know this is an old thread but did anyone ever figure out what caused it? I have the same problem now
Highschool_WJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2013, 04:38 PM   #3
rdkendrick
2003 WJ 

Run some throttle body cleaner through it, clean the TPS. Does your exhaust seem to be coming out freely, or is your catalytic converter getting really hot? Could be that, too.

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner
rdkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2013, 07:23 PM   #4
narnwv

2000 WJ 

FWIW, injectors can get clogged, and they can have electrical failure. I faced alot of the OP's symptoms, until two injectors finally died. I replaced all 8 and the Jeep has never run better.

narnwv is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.