some thought for the bad mpg crowd - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > some thought for the bad mpg crowd

New DEAL OF THE WEEK at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 01-26-2014, 01:41 PM   #1
99WJ01TJ
1999 WJ 

So a little info about my wj. 4.7 non ho with qt2 and 169000 on original engine, trans, sensors, rotors you name it. Only thing changed was the fuel filter(Napa gold brand) and oil pressure sensor(from dealer it crapped out on me 3 months later) & I carry full size spare 245/70/16. Now I know this to be true as far as parts and maintenance because my mom bought the thing new from the dealer and gave me all the service records when I bought it from her. I get on the highway at 70 mph 19mpg. At 60 I get 21mpg. But I won't get too far into that unless people ask me for more info(BTW hand calculated the evic is always wrong by 1-2 mpgs when I cross reference the numbers). Now in the town I drive in where the speed limit ranges from 30-45mph I get 12mpg at 30mph and 15mpg at 45mph. Now I know a lot will say I'm bs'ing but the only thing I do different than most people(which will be changed once people reply to this) is that I have rebuilt transmissions before and I have always been thought by my father to never drive in overdrive in the city. Two reasons 1 it causes very low rpm which means in necessary fuel usage on the engine(think about driving a manual trans in 5th gear T 45mph) and 2 it puts in necessary wear on the overdrive clutch packs and friction plates. Now I'm from So Cal originally so my mpgs were better as we don't have winter blend fuel. Since I moved to NY the only change I have noticed is during the winter. I get 10mpg city now and 17/18 on the highway(most highways here are set at 55mph so I cruise at 55-60)

Oh and I'm 35 and have been working on cars since I was 14. 1st engine rebuild I ever participated in was on a 70 roadrunner with a 440 6pack swap from a rotted bodied super bird. Just in case members think I'm a 17 year old that doesn't know any better. Hope this opens peoples eyes about leaving the trans in overdrive while driving around town. I mean even my 01 tj with a 32rh came with a user manual that said turn off id while city driving(even though it had no od).

99WJ01TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2014, 06:21 PM   #2
fosterjd79
2004 WJ 

I agree with all this but will say that I haven't calculated my mpg in a long time. 2 reasons for this...1) my mpg's are awful and I know it, 2) if you're worried about mpg, you bought the wrong ride.
Unread 01-26-2014, 06:38 PM   #3
99WJ01TJ
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fosterjd79 View Post
I agree with all this but will say that I haven't calculated my mpg in a long time. 2 reasons for this...1) my mpg's are awful and I know it, 2) if you're worried about mpg, you bought the wrong ride.
I agree with that statement. As I don't worry about mpgs nowadays. And when if I do we take the wife's 2013 sonata or my 1.8t quattro. As my user name states 99wj 01 tj when I
sold the tj on 35s and 4"lift with body armor I was happy to get 8mpg. Which I acknowledge as mountains per gallon because that's where I wasted the gas.
But I say it too, if you're concerned with mpg by a Prius.....more gas for me
Unread 01-27-2014, 04:36 PM   #4
Turbozcs2003
2002 WJ 

You right on the numbers I see, mine an 02 4.7 Laredo with NV242

Since you rebuild transmissions, why don't you gets some 545RFE cores and start rebuilding them for people?

I would be there would be plenty of folks who would do business with you.
Turbozcs2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2014, 04:44 PM   #5
99WJ01TJ
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbozcs2003 View Post
You right on the numbers I see, mine an 02 4.7 Laredo with NV242

Since you rebuild transmissions, why don't you gets some 545RFE cores and start rebuilding them for people?

I would be there would be plenty of folks who would do business with you.
Funny you say that because I build engines and transmissions and there was a 2000 V8 for sale out here by a cadet(I work on a military campus) and he wanted 1500.00 for his wj with 82000 miles. Of course it posted Friday and was gone when I called him Saturday......I was going to buy it and rebuild eng.& trans and put them up for sale. And of course part the rest out and keep anything I needed. I'm always on the prowl for those kind of deals. When I get my bumper design that I'm working on tweeked just right I plan on becoming a vendor and doing what I can for the forum members.
Unread 01-27-2014, 11:14 PM   #6
Frambo
2004 WJ 

To clarify, does this mean that when you're say, cruising at 40mph you should have OD off? I understand your point about stop start city driving where you're basically either accelerating or braking but not about slow but constant driving.

CHeers
Frambo is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2014, 04:11 AM   #7
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

The trans doesn't lock the torque converter until 45mphish.

If you lock out overdrive you get lockup at 30mph. Which means less heat in the trans and more efficient driving. Especially with the loose converter in the Chrysler transmittions.
86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.