Soft Brakes...any fixes? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Soft Brakes...any fixes?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Unread 07-20-2014, 12:29 PM   #1
Jayybirdd
2004 WJ 

Soft Brakes...any fixes?

I have really soft brakes..when I put the jeep into gear I can even hear the brakes creeking loud..
I can push the brake pad all the way to the floor..one time I had to slam on brakes..i didn't know if I was gonna stop in time lol
is there any way to tighten up the brakes??
I know after driving my jeep then driving my wifes car..i find myself barely touching her brakes

Jayybirdd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2014, 12:47 PM   #2
jetrinka
2002 WJ 

The first thing i'd do is jack up all 4 corners and have someone apply the brakes while you go try and turn each wheel by hand just to ensure each caliper is at least doing something.

Then i'd take off all 4 wheels and remove the calipers so you can access the slide pins. Make sure none of them are seized and while you are in there use some silicone brake lube on them to make sure they slide easily within their bores. Sticky or seized pins can present themselves as a soft pedal.

Flushing the brake fluid out will get new, good fluid in there and ensure there aren't any air bubbles in there. Brake fluid absorbs moisture and if the content gets high enough, it lowers the boiling point of the fluid which in turn if the brakes get really hot, can boil the fluid and create air bubbles which makes a soft pedal.

What kind of pads are you using? In one of my cars I decided when I did the brakes i'd just use cheap 15 dollar pads made by Monroe from the parts store. I ended up re-doing them almost immediately because they literally would not stop the car. Perhaps it was a defective set but I put a good set of pads on and it was immediately 100 percent improved.
jetrinka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2014, 12:50 PM   #3
alfaitalia
CRD Pilot!

2004 WJ 

Soft brakes can be caused by;
Air in the lines.....most likely. Bleed thoroughly to cure.
Air in the abs unit. Drblll needed to bleed the unit.....so probably a trip to the dealer.
Sticking caliper pistons. Rebuild or replace caliper. Very common also.
Master cylinder beginning to fail. Replace.

Sent from the Dark Side using only the Force.
Unread 07-21-2014, 10:42 AM   #4
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

Assuming(!) that your braking system is in good working order, then the 'soft' feeling brakes could very well be normal. Scroll down to 'New Features and Options for 2003 models', sixth item on the list:

http://www.wjjeeps.com/newoptions2.htm

I can feel a noticeable difference in pedal effort between my '00 WJ and my wife's '03. I do find it a bit disconcerting that I can apply the pedal almost all the way to floor on her '03, however driving the two back to back, I do feel that the '03 brake system provides a more linear feel in braking, while my '00 almost feels on/off when applying the brakes.

I think what bothers most people is that our instinct tells us the hard we push the pedal, the more resistance we should feel. In the case of '03+ WJ's, the harder you push the farther the pedal travels to the floor.

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 V8- IRO 3", 245/75/16 Duratracs
Jeeples is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2014, 04:33 PM   #5
alfaitalia
CRD Pilot!

2004 WJ 

"Reduced brake pedal effort allowing shorter stopping distances during braking maneuvers, accomplished by increasing the master cylinder output pressure for a "lighter" brake pedal feel.".....does not mean longer travel and softer brakes....quite the opposite in fact.
Means less pedal effort for more brake result....ie sharper brakes requiring less pedal pressure and movement....and therefore more linear (linear meaning the harder you push the more force you get) braking in reponse to pedal pressure.

If any car has brakes that does not stop faster the further the pedal is pushed down then it has a problem with the brakes.....and would fail the annual safety check in the UK.

IMO your 03 needs attention if that is how your brakes behave.
Unread 07-21-2014, 08:42 PM   #6
Jayybirdd
2004 WJ 

I don't even know where to start. Good thing I drive slow and cruise
Jayybirdd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2014, 08:45 PM   #7
Trav1s
2004 WJ 

Basic things to consider:
- flush brake fluid and bleed system
- make sure all parts are working as expected
- replace flex lines with new or braided stainless lines

I have the same problem with my '04 Columbia but I have not tackled it.
Unread 07-22-2014, 09:39 AM   #8
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaitalia View Post
"Reduced brake pedal effort allowing shorter stopping distances during braking maneuvers, accomplished by increasing the master cylinder output pressure for a "lighter" brake pedal feel.".....does not mean longer travel and softer brakes....quite the opposite in fact.
Means less pedal effort for more brake result....ie sharper brakes requiring less pedal pressure and movement....and therefore more linear (linear meaning the harder you push the more force you get) braking in reponse to pedal pressure.

If any car has brakes that does not stop faster the further the pedal is pushed down then it has a problem with the brakes.....and would fail the annual safety check in the UK.

IMO your 03 needs attention if that is how your brakes behave.

Perhaps I wasn't very clear.

I never said that braking isn't increased the farther I push the pedal on our '03. I can push the pedal near to the end of its' travel fairly easily, whereas on my '00 its extremely difficult to push the pedal the same distance due to how firm the pedal becomes near the end of travel.

I agree though, if you can push the pedal to the floor without a noticeable increasing in braking then you need to start looking for worn or failed components .

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 V8- IRO 3", 245/75/16 Duratracs
Jeeples is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.