Soft 8 wheel question - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Soft 8 wheel question

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 03-15-2014, 03:33 PM   #16
Fawkes
WJ recovery gear

2000 WJ 

Lots of assumptions and not a whole lot of real-world measurements going on here.

First, I posted the stock wheel widths and offsets (sorry Scrmngchicken, your number is off by quite a bit)

Second, the most common "Soft 8" style wheels will be steel (Crager/AR/Black Rock/ProComp/etc.), and have from 0-0.5" of offset. For backspacing numbers, divide the wheel width by two, and add/subtract the offset. So for a standard 8" wide Soft8, BS will be 4", +/- 1/2".

Yes your wheel/tire combo will be 2" wider than stock/side. But what does that mean?

From the factory, our WJ wheel/tire combos are tucked in/under the fender by quite a bit. I don't have a factory WJ to measure, but it's likely ~1-1.5" inside the wheel wells. Yes, a 4.5" BS, 8" wide steel rim will push the edge of the wheel outboard by 2"... but even with an aggressive tire, that means that the edge of your tread will actually only be 0.5"-1" beyond the edge of your fender:

The photo above is a stock WJ on the right, and my personal WJ running 17x8" Soft8's (4.5" BS), with 245/75-17 Duratracs (on 3.5" of lift). If needed, I can run out to the driveway for an exact measurement, but I would guesstimate that my tires hang out beyond the fenders no more than 0.75". It's unfortunate but the photo above is a bit of a forced perspective. Most of what sticks out is sidewall rather than tread. Here's a shot of the same vehicle from directly behind:

Indeed, there is increased stress on wheel bearings, however: The bigger/wider/thicker/heavier tires that get stuck on the wheels will likely contribute more to rotating mass than the wheels, and the wheels will contribute neglible additional stress themselves (because of the negative offset compared to stock). The rotating mass of the heavier wheels is also distributed more evenly inboard/outboard than the stock Al rims.

Click to order:
WJ Stand-Alone Shackle Tabs.
WJ Modular Recovery & Bull Bar Relocation Kits.

Kris Fox
kfox@fawkesmfg.com
www.fawkesfab.com
Fawkes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2014, 03:38 PM   #17
bessyboy
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawkes
Lots of assumptions and not a whole lot of real-world measurements going on here. First, I posted the stock wheel widths and offsets (sorry Scrmngchicken, your number is off by quite a bit) Second, the most common "Soft 8" style wheels will be steel (Crager/AR/Black Rock/ProComp/etc.), and have from 0-0.5" of offset. For backspacing numbers, divide the wheel width by two, and add/subtract the offset. So for a standard 8" wide Soft8, BS will be 4", +/- 1/2". Yes your wheel/tire combo will be 2" wider than stock/side. But what does that mean? From the factory, our WJ wheel/tire combos are tucked in/under the fender by quite a bit. I don't have a factory WJ to measure, but it's likely ~1-1.5" inside the wheel wells. Yes, a 4.5" BS, 8" wide steel rim will push the edge of the wheel outboard by 2"... but even with an aggressive tire, that means that the edge of your tread will actually only be 0.5"-1" beyond the edge of your fender: The photo above is a stock WJ on the right, and my personal WJ running 17x8" Soft8's (4.5" BS), with 245/75-17 Duratracs (on 3.5" of lift). If needed, I can run out to the driveway for an exact measurement, but I would guesstimate that my tires hang out beyond the fenders no more than 0.75". It's unfortunate but the photo above is a bit of a forced perspective. Most of what sticks out is sidewall rather than tread. Here's a shot of the same vehicle from directly behind: Indeed, there is increased stress on wheel bearings, however: The bigger/wider/thicker/heavier tires that get stuck on the wheels will likely contribute more to rotating mass than the wheels, and the wheels will contribute neglible additional stress themselves (because of the negative offset compared to stock). The rotating mass of the heavier wheels is also distributed more evenly inboard/outboard than the stock Al rims.
I was thinking the same thing in terms if the stok wheels being an 1" or 2" inside the fender. So 2" won't be that bad. I'm just running stock tires becuase they have a lot of tread and I don't want to waste them
Unread 03-15-2014, 03:41 PM   #18
Fawkes
WJ recovery gear

2000 WJ 

I just ran out and measured with a straight edge and a level: The only thing overhanging my fender is sidewall.

Edit: 245mm width tread, on an 8" wide tire, with 4.5" of BS (IOW: +12mm offset). Measured off the rear, since the front fender tapers towards the front.

Click to order:

Kris Fox
kfox@fawkesmfg.com
www.fawkesfab.com
Unread 03-15-2014, 03:43 PM   #19
bessyboy
2001 WJ 

Can't tell from the front, but you can see the back is tucked in there pretty good.
image-2517307563.jpg

Unread 03-15-2014, 03:47 PM   #20
MWF
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsar10 View Post
Your statement was "SOFT 8'S stick out further than stock" and thats not the case ANY WHEEL can or cannot stick out further than stock, it goes by the numbers not the BRAND or TYPE of wheel.........
Your statement would lead somebody to believe that ANY soft 8 wheel is going to have less BS and thats not the case if you have a soft 8 that has the same BS number as the OE wheels than they will "stick out" the same amount.
Why are you so upset and angry? Why are you taking my reply out of context of the original post? This is really weird, have I said something to upset you in the past or something?
Unread 03-15-2014, 04:15 PM   #21
MWF
2002 WJ 

Attached is a drawing I did back when I was getting my Soft 8's. It shows the stock rim vs the 16x8 Soft 8. As Fawkes points out the stock rims really sit inbound of the fender, the difference is particularly accentuated when also fitting a wider tire as shown in the diagram.
wj-crager-vs-stock-dwg.jpg  
Unread 03-15-2014, 06:49 PM   #22
Scrmngchicken
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post

First, I posted the stock wheel widths and offsets (sorry Scrmngchicken, your number is off by quite a bit)
Hm. If it weren't for me actually owning one of these Jeeps, added to the fact that I sell this stuff for a living, I'd say you are right. Well, no. Not right at all.

Maybe math isn't your string point. I don't know. But still, the stock OEM 16" wheels for a WJ are in fact a 51mm offset. Don't believe me? It should be stamped on the back of the rims. Oh, and the Soft 8? Yeah. -12.

Oh, and the Soft 8 is made by one company. Carlisle. But they are branded under Cragar, Unique, Pacer, Black Rock, Pro Comp and for a while American Racing.

Well, carry on about telling me how wrong I am... I'll be here reading other threads knowing I'm right.
Scrmngchicken is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2014, 03:02 AM   #23
Burns95
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrmngchicken View Post
Hm. If it weren't for me actually owning one of these Jeeps, added to the fact that I sell this stuff for a living, I'd say you are right. Well, no. Not right at all.

Maybe math isn't your string point. I don't know. But still, the stock OEM 16" wheels for a WJ are in fact a 51mm offset. Don't believe me? It should be stamped on the back of the rims. Oh, and the Soft 8? Yeah. -12.

Oh, and the Soft 8 is made by one company. Carlisle. But they are branded under Cragar, Unique, Pacer, Black Rock, Pro Comp and for a while American Racing.

Well, carry on about telling me how wrong I am... I'll be here reading other threads knowing I'm right.
http://www.wjjeeps.com/wheels.htm

According to wjjeeps.com, offset is 50.8mm. So 51mm is way off
Burns95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2014, 05:11 AM   #24
veiri86

2003 WJ 

Here are mine without spacers and they are sticking out around 1.25", am using BlackRock Wheel 909B rims which look similar to the soft 8's but aluminum, they are 0 mm offset and 4.5" rear spacing:

Rear

Front

01' 4.7 Limited WJ 5" lifted, Rubicon Express 4.5" coil springs with IRO critical path setup and Bilstien 5100 shocks all around, JKS adjustable Trackbar (KOR bushings), JKS HD tie rod (MOOG problem solver Ends), JKS HD drag link (Moog Probel solver Ends), 4.56 Yukon ring and pinion, Moog HD SSD107 Steering Stabilizer, IRO Front drive shaft conversion, Stillen slotted rotors all around with Stillen brake pads, IRO adjustable A-Arm, 3" all the way Kolak Exhaust with High flow Magnaflow Cat. Converter and Flowmaster Super 50 Muffler, 285/70R17 AT Kumho (33") on 17" BlackWheel rims 909B, K&N Cold air intake, Four nozzles Bosch injectors, and Flashpaq 3780.

03' 4.7 H.O WJ 3" lifted, OME HD with 0.5" Coil spacers and Bilstien 5100 shocks all around, JKS adjustable Trackbar (KOR bushings), Moog Problem solver TRE's, IRO Front drive shaft conversion, IRO adjustable A-Arm, High flow magnaflow mini cats, high flow magnaflow cat, Flowmaster Super 44 muffler, 265/65R17 AT Yokohama on 17" Rays rims, and Flashpaq 3780
veiri86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2014, 11:23 AM   #25
wsar10
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWF View Post
Why are you so upset and angry? Why are you taking my reply out of context of the original post? This is really weird, have I said something to upset you in the past or something?
I simply corrected an incorrect and misleading blanket statment, and you cant seem to let that go.......... But I'm angry ???

Holly **** buddy get a grip you made a stament I corrected it thats all, grow up move on !!!! who cares.

-03 WJ laredo 4.0 120k a few minor mods
-93 XJ 5spd, 3" zone lift
wsar10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2014, 02:00 PM   #26
Fawkes
WJ recovery gear

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrmngchicken View Post

Maybe math isn't your string point. I don't know.

My sincere apologies. I was incorrect in my statement that your measurements were way off, as it seems I halved my inches to metric conversions when converting BS to offset. I suppose that's what I get for doing the math in my head while posting... and then referring back to that crappy math.

Quote:
I am sure you are aware that those different brands offer their customers slightly different backspacing in the same "Soft 8" steel wheel... which was the point of my statement.

Quote:
You were correct, and I was wrong on the metric offset measurement.

As far as the rest of this thread, I'll stand by my (non-metric ) statements:

While an 8" wide Soft8 style steel wheel will stick out significantly farther than the stock wheel, assuming a stock ~245mm width tire, the tread should still be right around the edge of the fenderwell without overhanging too much. This would be borne out by actual measurements, on an actual WJ (as crazy as it sounds - I own as well ), with an actual 17x8 Soft8 steel wheel mounted.

MWF's illustration is an excellent reference.

I'll now bow out, as it seems I need to brush up on my math.

Click to order:

Kris Fox
kfox@fawkesmfg.com
www.fawkesfab.com
Unread 03-17-2014, 04:27 AM   #27
MWF
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsar10 View Post
I simply corrected an incorrect and misleading blanket statment, and you cant seem to let that go.......... But I'm angry ???

Holly **** buddy get a grip you made a stament I corrected it thats all, grow up move on !!!! who cares.
I'm genuinely sorry I've antagonised you so much with a few simple words

Perhaps take a chill pill and calm down?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.