JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   WJ Grand Cherokee Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/)
-   -   Soft 8 wheel question (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/soft-8-wheel-question-2214673/)

bessyboy 03-14-2014 05:58 AM

Soft 8 wheel question

I want to get a new look to the jeep right now until I get a 4" lift. I'm looking at soft 8 style wheels and the ones I'm looking at are 17x8, 4" backspacing and -12mm offset..my main question is will this set the rim out farther then stock? That's the look I want to go for without having to get spacers. If not, what will give me that look?

MWF 03-14-2014 06:38 AM

Yeah the Soft 8's sick out significantly farther.

wsar10 03-14-2014 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MWF (Post 21231601)
Yeah the Soft 8's sick out significantly farther.

Thats a blanket statement and an incorrect one at that......

to the OP,
the smaller your backspacing number the further your wheels will "stick out",
if your stock BS is 5" and the soft 8's BS is 4" than your soft 8's will stick out an inch more.

Fawkes 03-14-2014 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wsar10 (Post 21231761)
Thats a blanket statement

Agreed.

Quote:

... and an incorrect one at that...
I don't think so in this case...

Quote:

to the OP,
the smaller your backspacing number the further your wheels will "stick out",
if your stock BS is 5" and the soft 8's BS is 4" than your soft 8's will stick out an inch more.
IIRC, our WJ stock wheels are all 7-7.5" wide, with ~6-6.25" of BS.

Every 8" wide Soft8 style wheel I've ever seen has had 4-4.5" (depending on the offset) of BS.

Assuming Bessyboy is running stock wheels (regardless of width), if he runs a 17x8 Soft 8 steelie with a -12mm offset (and the same tires), he's looking at having the combo stick out almost exactly 2" more over stock per side*.

I'd call that significant.

*You can do the calculations yourself here: Link.
Stock rim widths for WJs are 7"/+25mm offset or 7.25"/+32mm offset.

bessyboy 03-14-2014 09:17 AM

2"??? Dang that's a lot, I take it that would have a lot of stress on the bearings and such

wsar10 03-14-2014 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bessyboy (Post 21235129)
2"??? Dang that's a lot, I take it that would have a lot of stress on the bearings and such

It seems to me that this situation wouldn't add stress to wheel bearings, I think thats more with spacers .

My first thought would be LOCAL DOT laws ???? Big brother love=s to force fender flares on people...
second thought would be the clearance in different situations (full lock on steering or full flex) with rubbing the outside edge of fender rather than inner.
Again I may be wrong here as well I'm just throwing thoughts out there to look into before a wheel purchase.

I have had MANY JEEPS over the years and the most I ever went was from 5.25" BS to 4" BS (also soft 8's on an XJ) It has a 3" Lift nothing special but also NO issues. With this change you could definitely tell, it looked better and more stability going down the road.

bessyboy 03-14-2014 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wsar10
It seems to me that this situation wouldn't add stress to wheel bearings, I think thats more with spacers . My first thought would be LOCAL DOT laws ???? Big brother love=s to force fender flares on people... second thought would be the clearance in different situations (full lock on steering or full flex) with rubbing the outside edge of fender rather than inner. Again I may be wrong here as well I'm just throwing thoughts out there to look into before a wheel purchase. I have had MANY JEEPS over the years and the most I ever went was from 5.25" BS to 4" BS (also soft 8's on an XJ) It has a 3" Lift nothing special but also NO issues. With this change you could definitely tell, it looked better and more stability going down the road.

My dads a cop, not saying that I haven't had my share of tickets but I've gotten pulled over for having to many lights on...only allowed 4 forward facing white lights. I've gotten out of those smaller situations easily hah. But yeah, I guess it won't be too bad. Now time to decide soft 8 or d window

3Dog 03-14-2014 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wsar10 (Post 21250865)
It seems to me that this situation wouldn't add stress to wheel bearings, I think thats more with spacers .

My first thought would be LOCAL DOT laws ???? Big brother love=s to force fender flares on people...

^^ Two issues:
- the increased stress on the bearing is both a function of additional weight, and how far outboard that weight is hanging from the centerline of the wheel hub compared to stock. With wheels spacers, or reduced backspacing, the extra weight of a steel wheel is adding a leverage effect on the bearings in the hub.

- MY first thought is the extra weight of a steel wheel like a soft 8. These things weight 10+ pounds more PER WHEEL than the stock alloys. I know...I weighed them. This has a perceptible effect on ride, acceleration, braking, etc.

MWF 03-15-2014 04:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wsar10 (Post 21231761)
Thats a blanket statement and an incorrect one at that......

Believe me, as someone who's done pretty much exactly what the OP originally stated (stock to 4" backspaced 8J wheel), they stick out significantly farther than stock, significant to the point people say "dang that's a lot".

wsar10 03-15-2014 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MWF (Post 21257481)
Believe me, as someone who's done pretty much exactly what the OP originally stated (stock to 4" backspaced 8J wheel), they stick out significantly farther than stock, significant to the point people say "dang that's a lot".

Your statement was "SOFT 8'S stick out further than stock" and thats not the case ANY WHEEL can or cannot stick out further than stock, it goes by the numbers not the BRAND or TYPE of wheel.........
Your statement would lead somebody to believe that ANY soft 8 wheel is going to have less BS and thats not the case if you have a soft 8 that has the same BS number as the OE wheels than they will "stick out" the same amount.

Scrmngchicken 03-15-2014 11:59 AM

Well, you can always order the rims, fit check them before mounting and if they don't fit, send them back.

The stock offset on a 2001 WJ (at leas with a 16" OE fitment) is 51mm. You said the Soft 8s had a -12mm? That's a big swing. Assuming you want a bigger tire to go on, you'll likely have to put a lift in order for it to fit correctly. And by fit, I mean turning. Unless you feel turning is overrated... :rofl:

bessyboy 03-15-2014 01:06 PM

thanks for the replies, ive talked to a few other guys that have a similar set up. I think im going to order the d windows though. Im going to keep the stock wheels in the garage just in case.

Scrmngchicken 03-15-2014 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bessyboy (Post 21265593)
thanks for the replies, ive talked to a few other guys that have a similar set up. I think im going to order the d windows though. Im going to keep the stock wheels in the garage just in case.

Just to let you know, Carlisle Transportation Products, the parent company for Unique, has a special build shop that will allow you to order a custom offset for your WJ. If the off the shelf offset doesn't fit without modifications, you can ask them to custom build a set for you. The drawback is it takes about two months and if it doesn't fit, you own them.

bessyboy 03-15-2014 01:52 PM

Worst comes to worst ill trim my bumper. But I think I will be okay becuase I'm sitting on a bb.

Scrmngchicken 03-15-2014 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bessyboy (Post 21266393)
Worst comes to worst ill trim my bumper. But I think I will be okay becuase I'm sitting on a bb.

I hear you on that. A buddy of mine has some 17x8 alloys that are cammo powdercoated and they won't fit my Jeep unless I lift it. And that ain't something I want to do right now.

The time now is 10:38 AM.