JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   WJ Grand Cherokee Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/)
-   -   So there is ALREADY a transmission cooler on my 04 WJ? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/so-there-already-transmission-cooler-my-04-wj-1065856/)

KDOG2008 07-08-2010 08:10 PM

So there is ALREADY a transmission cooler on my 04 WJ?

So took the beast in for a transmission service - nothing wrong just changing fluid, cleaning it out, etc... and I asked him to look at it and see if I could put a heavy duty transmission cooler in there since I tow a camper. After a while he came back to me and said there is already a small one in there that is built into the same one as the A/C radiator. Its like the top 4-5 inches. He said he was uncomfortable with cutting the existing lines and putting another radiator infront of that one too, and said it doesn't really have room for it. So I didn't have one put in.

I also asked him to assess my vehicles tow capability and made sure I explained to him the whole sordid tale with finding out I had 3.55 diffs instead of the 3.73s, etc. He seemed to think I would be around 4200-ish lbs.

So what do you think? Will the stock transmission cooler be ok for towing around that weight? I don't pull my camper everywhere - usually twice a year 200 miles each way and we stop a few times on the way.

WJChris 07-08-2010 08:41 PM

Trailer hitch packages, in general, are divided into four classes. Class I and Class II are usually designed to be weight-carrying with use of a ball mount. The Grand Cherokee WJ uses Class III and Class IV, which can carry heavier loads with the use of a weight-distributing hitch assembly that distributes the weight to all trailer and vehicle axles. A ball mount can also be used with Class III and Class IV Hitch Receivers for lesser loads.

Trailer Tow Prep Group (requires I-6 engine)

• 3.73:1 axle ratio
  • Mechanical cooling fan
  • Trailer tow wiring assembly
Trailer Tow Group Class III (requires I-6 engine)

• Transmission oil cooler
  • Frame-mounted receptacle for load-equalizer type hitch
  • 7-into-4-way plug adapter
Trailer Tow Group Class IV (requires V8 engine)

• Power steering cooler
  • Transmission oil cooler
  • Frame-mounted receptacle for load-equalizer type hitch
  • 7-into-4-way plug adapter
Read this:

http://www.wjjeeps.com/trailer.htm

KDOG2008 07-08-2010 08:54 PM

Yes I see that, and I have a class III receiver with weight distributing hitch and sway bars, but remember I have 3.55s not 3.73s....

ratmonkey 07-08-2010 09:08 PM

then you have only the shared cooler in the radiator, not in the condenser....some people should only be swapping parts they're told to, not trouble shooting.

WJChris 07-08-2010 09:09 PM

You have an aftermarket hitch then?

5000 Pounds.

More from WJ Jeeps:
http://www.wjjeeps.com/dimensions.htm#Towing

comptiger5000 07-08-2010 09:46 PM

Look through the grille. If there's an aux cooler there, you'll be able to see it sitting in front of the A/C condenser.

86cj74.2L 07-09-2010 06:24 AM

If you have a hydraulic cooling fan the top portion of the condencer is the cooler for the power steering.

Mopar says in a info packet that 03 and 04 require no aux trans cooler with the tow package. It appears they enlarged the finn and plate cooler in the rad to account for the statement.

Does that mean you can't put one in.......no.

KDOG2008 07-09-2010 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 86cj74.2L (Post 9759120)
If you have a hydraulic cooling fan the top portion of the condencer is the cooler for the power steering.

Mopar says in a info packet that 03 and 04 require no aux trans cooler with the tow package. It appears they enlarged the finn and plate cooler in the rad to account for the statement.

Does that mean you can't put one in.......no.

Aaaah.I did not know that! That would clear up a great many things. Do you have that info packet? That would be an interesting read....

comptiger5000 07-09-2010 07:14 AM

I'm sorry, but IMO, that's CRAP. The issue with running only an in-radiator cooler is that when towing uphill in HOT weather, you can heat soak the radiator, so even the cold side is running 190+. When that happens, your tranny can easily be running 230* or hotter, and you end up cooking it. Always run an aux cooler when towing.

SplitNail 07-09-2010 08:21 AM

I put a new one on. It works great. I broke mine while replacing the radiator.... Dont ask... anyways, it was simple and cheap.

86cj74.2L 07-09-2010 03:43 PM

I can not find the PDF from Jeep where its in. It had a title along the jist of towing with your jeep. Or something to that effect.

If you install one put it between the trans and rad cooler flow wise. It will help maintain proper trans temps in the winter. That is how the factory Aux coolers were plummed.

ratmonkey 07-09-2010 04:27 PM

aux coolers should be installed on the RETURN line.

86cj74.2L 07-09-2010 08:00 PM

My Ram with a Cummins has it the way I stated. The only time I saw it the other way is if it was put on after the fact.

In a warm climate it is ok. In a cold climate its not ok. to put it in the return line. (unless you spend the big bucks for one with a temp controlled bypass valve.....but the valves fail and create back pressure and ending wiping out the trans.)

On the newer electronically controlled transmittions cool oil is not always better. If the oil going into the trans cooler is colder then the coolent then it will aid in cooling the engine coolent. It works both ways.

The time now is 03:43 PM.