So with the several types of 4x4 systems in the WJ Jeeps, what is the "best"? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > So with the several types of 4x4 systems in the WJ Jeeps, what is the "best"?

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail 99-04 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Dark Headlights Clear Cor99-04 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Chrome Headlights

Unread 09-11-2013, 06:04 PM   #1
JeepNowski
2004 WJ 

So with the several types of 4x4 systems in the WJ Jeeps, what is the "best"?

So yeah, title pretty much says it all but I am known for walls of text so that's probably what this will turn into.

I've got 2 WJs...A 2wd Laredo that honestly was rode hard and put up wet that I bought a few years ago because I love the look of the WJ and I got it for cheap.....I've loved the way that the WJs looked since the first time I saw them. And let me tell you, 2wd or not, that old WJ is the best vehicle I've ever owned. It has the I6 and I've never had to do anything aside from routine maintenance and upkeep on it until here recently when the radiator fan went out and the A/C condenser got a hole rubbed into it which caused all the Freon to leak out....Also little things like hood/tailgate pistons have gotten to weak to hold those parts up and that MF'ing front seat that I guess is a very common occurrence with all WJs....With mine I have the back driver side seat down so that keeps the front seat from leaning back too much and also I put a piece of lumber under the edge of the seat to keep it from leaning back so far....Going to get that fixed though and my son is going to get that WJ..
And then a few weeks ago I found a really nice looking '04 WJ Limited 4.7 4wd with 122k on it that after a little issue with the torque converter I'm now falling in love with the WJ all over again. I haven't really done any wheeling it it since I got it except for on my property in the sugar sand and even with the street tires it currently has on it I'm no longer scared to drive anywhere on my property and let me tell you I have a LOT of sand....Haven't had much of any rain lately due to it being summer in Texas and not a lot of rock trails around here either but I love it. After the wildfire we had a few years back we had several 4wd trucks out here helping to clean up the house wreckage and stuff and every single one of them got stuck....But none of them were Jeeps. I've made the sand out here my ***** LOL.

At any rate, I told you about my wall-of-textedness......

My question is, My 04 has the Quadra-Drive system and so far I really like it. But what do you folks who have had a 4wd WJ think is the BEST 4wd system for the WJ? For me, I've only ever driven 4wd vehicles that have had a 2hi/4hi/N/4lo setup so the 4wd all time thing had me a bit worried at first but after driving it and seeing what it really does I actually like it.....In sand at least.

JeepNowski is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2013, 06:14 PM   #2
COL
2000 WJ 

A lot of people are in love with the Quadra-Drive for its simplicity reasons and because it just plain works. Me personally I really like my Selec-Trac transfer case. On the other hand I wish I had the Vari-lok axles of the quadradrive system though. So IMO one of the best 4x4 combos for the WJ would be a Selec-Trac with Vari-Lok axles.
COL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2013, 08:54 PM   #3
JeepNowski
2004 WJ 

Good input. I know you can't be the only person owning a WJ that has an opinion though on what their favorite WJ 4wd system is....Let hear it.
Unread 09-11-2013, 09:30 PM   #4
narnwv

2000 WJ 

the best? What works for YOU.

I agree that my ideal is the 242 Selec-Trac transfer case (what I use now), and the Vari-Lock axles. (in terms of factory replacement parts).

narnwv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2013, 09:50 PM   #5
JeepNowski
2004 WJ 

That's exactly my question.....What is YOUR favorite. If I had experience with other 4wd systems I might have a favorite other than the Quadradrive but I don't. Maybe "The BEST" wasn't the correct question. How about, which is YOUR favorite?

Also, please explain because I don't know a whole lot about the differences are in the different 4wd systems.....If you don't mind.
Unread 09-11-2013, 09:56 PM   #6
KayCeeJeep
2004 WJ 

I bought a Selec-Trac on purpose, love it. I imagine the other systems are very good as well as you're finding out, I've not had the good fortune of driving one.
KayCeeJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2013, 10:05 PM   #7
3Dog

When I was considering a WJ, I found lots of information on this question by using the Search feature on this forum. Plenty of info to be read. I ended up with the QD.

2000 WJ Limited 4.7L
(IRO 3" Lift, Bilstein 5100s, 3/4" KOR front spring spacers, IRO adj. track bar, stock Silverblade rims in matte black powdercoat, 245/75/16 Goodyear Duratracs, Akebono caliper upgrade, OE cracks on armrest...)
3Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2013, 11:06 PM   #8
2ndhandWJman
2003 WJ 

I have a hybrid of sorts. My Laredo has the Select-trac system but I recently replaced the worn out original axles with a set from an '04 Quadra-drive WJ, so now I have Vari-locks front and rear. Just having the rear diffy lock up on slippery roads when it's raining has made a world of difference in driving the Jeep around. I'm hoping for a lot of snow this winter, I want to really test out the WJ !
2ndhandWJman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2013, 12:20 AM   #9
MuddyWJ
2004 WJ 

I started with QD and loved it especially in the snow. I switched for the sole reason of being able to lock up in hi when I want. Both systems are great
MuddyWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2013, 01:47 AM   #10
fast540
1999 WJ 

I run the 247 and a locker
fast540 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2013, 02:51 AM   #11
cykaaro
2000 WJ 

Used to have the command trac on my XJ, but love the select trac, and having choice of what I want to use. That being said though, I do wish it had vari-lock axles though. Although I could switch my axles out of course.

HID Quad bi-xenon + foglight retrofit
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?44572-Jeep-2000-Grand-Cherokee-WJ
cykaaro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2013, 06:00 AM   #12
Ravie
1999 WJ 

Selec-Trac, and someday I'll swap in vari-lock in the back.
Unread 09-12-2013, 06:45 AM   #13
WJ_allday04

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast540 View Post
I run the 247 and a locker
do you run a aftermarket locker? Im thinking about eventually getting lockers but I want experience from other people first. I have been thinking detriot in the back and elocker in the front.
24" light bar//x2 3" duallys//JK steelies//31's

My Build Thread
WJ_allday04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2013, 07:30 AM   #14
skain8
Under Construction

2002 WJ 

For a stock or stockish wj, I found the QD system incredibly effective. 242 with vari-loks f/r would also be a top choice.

*looking to buy 3" springs or swap my 4.5" springs for your 3" springs -- PM me*
skain8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2013, 09:47 AM   #15
KayCeeJeep
2004 WJ 

Are Varilocks something that can be added to the Selec Trac without swapping out the whole axle? Is there something you can just add to the diffs for the Selec trac to get it to lock up?
KayCeeJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.