So I have an alarm? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > So I have an alarm?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 10-15-2013, 03:44 AM   #1
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

So I have an alarm?

I just bought a 2004 4.7 Limited w/74K miles a couple months ago, trying to get used to it, and it didn't come with the owners manual.

Have the 2004 WJ FSM and I've read the whole alarm section which seems really confusing since there's so many versions/options. I have the "VTSS Indicator" which is the red light blinking on top of the instrument panel/dash. But in checking the display lights with the ignition on I don't see any SKIS (Sentry Key Immobilizer System) light.

I've never had a vehicle with an alarm and does the siren just sound if it's broken into? I've purposely bumped the body but nothing happens. Is there a good way to test this system or is it best to just leave it alone? It only came with one key FOB and if my wife drives it can she just disable the alarm w/o one by opening the drivers door with the key?

Thanks for any help/input!

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2013, 04:06 AM   #2
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

That red thing on top of dash is the light sensor for the auto headlights.

I don't believe there are any motion sensors on the factory keyless entry system.

If she arms it with the keyfob you can defeat it by using your key to unlock the drivers door. That will turn it off.
86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2013, 05:02 AM   #3
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Interesting. I read where the auto-headlight sensor is tied into the red light on top of the dash but would it just blink for the headlights when locked? When I lock it with the key fob the red light blinks quickly for about 15 secs and then has a much slower flash. I read where this is the alarm arming but still don't know if I even have one?

Thanks for the input!

Unread 10-15-2013, 05:08 AM   #4
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Guess I should have looked at my build sheet since it lists this:

"GXXS Sentry Key Theft Deterrent System"

Now I'll just have to figure out how to work/test it...

Unread 10-15-2013, 05:23 AM   #5
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

I don't drive the WJ my wife does. Funny I never saw the light flashing. But usually I'm 20ft away when I hit the button.

I have to pry her hands off the steering wheel just to do oil changes.
86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2013, 05:39 AM   #6
gold01wj
2000 WJ 

Unlock the driver door with the key. Almost as soon as the door is unlocked open the door. If you get the door open before the alarm discharges it will go off. You have to be quick for this method to work. That's how I tested mine when I first got it. If I remember right I also got it to go off by rolling the windows down then getting out and locking it with the fob, once it's locked reach through the window and hit the unlock button in the jeep. It should sound the alarm.
Unread 10-15-2013, 08:34 AM   #7
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86cj74.2L View Post
I don't drive the WJ my wife does. Funny I never saw the light flashing. But usually I'm 20ft away when I hit the button.

I have to pry her hands off the steering wheel just to do oil changes.
I never saw the light flashing either until my son borrowed it for a day and pointed it out to me. Lol.

The plan in buying our 2004 WJ was to have it be my wife's dd for her 50 mile round-trip to/from work. She's currently driving my 96 4.0 ZJ w/200K miles which still runs really good but says she misses her 2000 4.0 TJ we had to get rid of a few months ago due to a rotted frame.

Now I could see where if you also use your TJ for off-road use missing it but with all freeway miles it seemed loud, rough-riding, somewhat unstable, and it was to the point where the rag-top was too much for her to put up/down. No offense since noticed you also have a CJ. Believe she liked it because she's small, so was her TJ, and real easy to maneuver.

Once the snow starts flying I'm going to have her drive the WJ because it has such a good Quadra-drive II 4WD system. Believe she also won't want to take her hands off the wheel after driving it for a while.

You're lucky you do your own oil changes! So far I've replaced all the brake rotors, calipers, pads, ebrake shoes, upper/lower left front ball-joints, both front axle bearing assemblies, had new tires installed, replaced plugs, etc.. But I bought it used from a dealer and it came with a 100K mile drive-train warranty. So I can't even do my own oil changes since there's no record of it! Go figure....

Unread 10-15-2013, 08:36 AM   #8
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold01wj View Post
Unlock the driver door with the key. Almost as soon as the door is unlocked open the door. If you get the door open before the alarm discharges it will go off. You have to be quick for this method to work. That's how I tested mine when I first got it. If I remember right I also got it to go off by rolling the windows down then getting out and locking it with the fob, once it's locked reach through the window and hit the unlock button in the jeep. It should sound the alarm.
Some real good info, thanks, and I'll try those couple alarm tests!

Unread 10-15-2013, 09:47 AM   #9
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

Roll down one of the windows, the lock the doors either with the key fob or the lock button. Reach through the window and open the door with the inside door handle, the alarm should go off. You can either disarm it with the key fob or by unlocking the driver's side door or the rear hatch with your key.

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 V8- IRO 3", 245/75/16 Duratracs
Jeeples is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2013, 09:56 PM   #10
rdkendrick
2003 WJ 

Or, you can just start it up and the alarm will go off. Found that out, one day.

Sent from my iPad using my fingers
rdkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.