small shake during idle? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > small shake during idle?

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 03-08-2013, 09:09 PM   #1
andersoneric04

small shake during idle?

Hi guys I just bought a 2004 Jeep grand cherokee today. It has a straight six and sounded great a week ago when I test drove it. After driving it home today I noticed an intermitent slight shake during idle(appx every 30-120sec). I just changed the oil to Mobil one and replaced the A T fluid. The engine has 147000 miles. Would new plugs and wires be in order, or is this nothing to worry about?

andersoneric04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2013, 10:05 PM   #2
tj_nite
2014 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersoneric04 View Post
Hi guys I just bought a 2004 Jeep grand cherokee today. It has a straight six and sounded great a week ago when I test drove it. After driving it home today I noticed an intermitent slight shake during idle(appx every 30-120sec). I just changed the oil to Mobil one and replaced the A T fluid. The engine has 147000 miles. Would new plugs and wires be in order, or is this nothing to worry about?
mine does it all the time every 15-20 seconds 122000 miles inline 6 2001 never worried about it

*SOLD 2001 wj laredo 4x4. will be missed *
tj_nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2013, 11:29 PM   #3
MuddyWJ
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj_nite View Post

mine does it all the time every 15-20 seconds 122000 miles inline 6 2001 never worried about it
Mine too. L6 just are not as smooth as a V
MuddyWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2013, 12:20 AM   #4
pinky2252s
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyWJ View Post
Mine too. L6 just are not as smooth as a V
The V8's dont have a very smooth idle either haha.

The I6 just does that.

Colorado Jeep Club Member #2252
2001 Laredo, 2004 Special Edition
pinky2252s is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2013, 05:50 AM   #5
soulsurvives

i would not worry about changing the wires since you dont have any lol.....with that many miles i woulod do the plugs if you dont know when the last time they were changed.....i put a new coil pack on mine when i did the plugs but i dont think i needed it.....just did it so i wouldnt have to anytime soon......was about 120 for it tho....
soulsurvives is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2013, 06:16 AM   #6
cjcyr8
2004 WJ 

Congrats your purchase of a WJ 4.0. Mine just hit 147k...yep....It's not the smoothest engine, but it's damn near bullet proof.

Here is a tip about a common issue that causes misfires, hesitation, bucking electrical shorts etc...Check it out during your next tune-up to save future headaches:

Carefully check the fuel injector wiring harness; follow it from the front of the valve cover to the rear of the engine....There is a cylinder head stud/bolt head at the very back of the engine (drivers side behind valve cover) this stud/bolt head rubs through the harness, short circuits the wires and causes rough idle, bucking, misfires, hesitation and random codes. The symptoms sometimes begin after the engine is hot or has been running on the highway for awhile, and often come and go...It will take more than just a quick visual inspection....If the harness is resting upon this stud (or near it for that matter), if you don't allready have this problem eventually you will. I repaired the wire, wrapped the entire in harness in nylon loom, and put piece of vacuum hose over that stud...problems solved...

Click the link and scroll down for a picture taken by another member:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/...issue-1488591/
cjcyr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2013, 08:21 AM   #7
andersoneric04

Thanks guys!
andersoneric04 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.