slow crank 4.7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > slow crank 4.7

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....Rugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Now for both 3.8L and 3.6

Unread 09-06-2010, 11:36 PM   #1
CoolGuyDave
2002 WJ 

slow crank 4.7

i know this has been covered over and over but id like a second opinion before i spend 180 bucks on a new starter. So it cranks slow, had an old battery in it so i replaced it with a diehard gold. didnt fix the prob (the terminals are clean and tight). Put a meter on the batt and it reads 12.3v. while running its 13.6v. while cranking its 9.XXv. lights are nice and bright... never dim, but it still cranks slow, almost to the point where it sounds like it will stop turning over. i bought the jeep used so i dont know much of its history. but i do know its been replaced before (has an AC Delco starter in it). What are some other things i can check before i make the jump and buy a new one? thanks jeepforum!
-dave

CoolGuyDave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2010, 02:01 AM   #2
PCJona
2002 WJ 

its definitely the starter. sorry bud.

just happened to me last month.
PCJona is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2010, 09:55 AM   #3
jfyfe
2001 WJ 

I'm with PCJona - Sounds like a starter. Pull it and have the auto parts guys test it if you want to make sure. Only other thing I can think of is the taps on the starter are a bit loose, but that is probably unlikely.
jfyfe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2010, 11:57 AM   #4
mudthang
1977 CJ5 

I had a similar problem but my starter tested out fine. I was only getting 6 volts at the starter while cranking. I replaced the battery cables and it fixed the problem.

I did the positive cables first and I was still only getting 6 volts. So I replaced the negative cables next and it started right up.
Unread 09-07-2010, 01:52 PM   #5
nlynd1978
2001 WJ 

1. Remove the starter have it tested.

2. check and replace cables.

3. Did you buy the correct battery or the cheap it will fit kind.

Had a simalar problem with my friends car, he bought a brand new battery but only got a 500 cca battery when he needed a 800 cca battery. car would still start but cranked really slow. We checked everything else before i noticed it was the crappy battery he had. Also, just cause its new doesnt mean its good. I got a brand new battery one time for my bike. It was DOA when i got it. Didnt know till i put it in the bike, which would not start still, and took it to a shop. And you can have 12v's on a battery but get no amperage. Just had that problem with another car i was working on the other day. My advice remove the battery and starter and take them in for testing, replace as necessary.

Looking for help- http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/completely-turns-off-while-driving-no-codes-1049268/
nlynd1978 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2010, 03:35 PM   #6
CoolGuyDave
2002 WJ 

nope.... bought a DieHard GOLD 900+ CCA. i'l check the cables over before i buy a starter. thanks.
Unread 09-07-2010, 07:30 PM   #7
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

That volt to amp discussion is valid and even new batteries may still need a charge to attain their rated capacity, but he has no dimming, so I'm in the weak starter camp too.
Changes & fixes: Rear Addco sway bar & greasble bushings, upgraded headlights, upgraded tail lights, new hood struts (replaced 2X), new rear hatchglass struts, new radiator (replaced 3X), new oil pressure sending unit (replaced 4X), 2 new speed sensors, 2 new door lock actuators, new ignition key cylinder, chrome front tow hooks, Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/30, Purolator Pure One oil filter, EBC slotted & dimpled rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads, new front shocks (replaced 3X), new rear shocks (replaced 2X), new IRO steering stabilizer, new timing chain cover, new water pump, thermostat, new thermostat housing, new high pressure power steering hose, Michelin-X radials, new sunroof assembly, new single-piece lug nuts, new exhaust manifold studs & gasket on driver's side, new Durango alternator. Jeepforum.com sticker, Visit cobaltboatsforum.com when you can!
Double E is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2010, 02:05 PM   #8
CoolGuyDave
2002 WJ 

put in a "NAPA Supreme Power" starter.... starts right up with ease...
thanks all

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.