JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   WJ Grand Cherokee Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/)
-   -   Should I wait it out or buy a new radiator? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/should-i-wait-out-buy-new-radiator-1563693/)

Ridaith 08-17-2013 10:09 PM

Should I wait it out or buy a new radiator?

I'm just curious because I took it in the shop the other day and the mechanic seemed pretty serious about replacing it. But I don't have $600 to drop on that and it doesn't even seem like it's leaking at all. (I had to refill the overflow bottle once when I first bought the car, but it still reads full everytime I check it.)

Plus the temperature gauge always reads a little under 210 and if it ever goes over, the fan kicks on without a problem. I have a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited with a V8 engine and four-wheel drive. (If that helps any.)

I'd really appreciate any advice, thank you!

infob 08-17-2013 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ridaith
I'm just curious because I took it in the shop the other day and the mechanic seemed pretty serious about replacing it. But I don't have $600 to drop on that and it doesn't even seem like it's leaking at all. (I had to refill the overflow bottle once when I first bought the car, but it still reads full everytime I check it.)

Plus the temperature gauge always reads a little under 120 and if it ever goes over, the fan kicks on without a problem. I have a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited with a V8 engine and four-wheel drive. (If that helps any.)

I'd really appreciate any advice, thank you!

You mean 220?? Why did he say replace it? If it doesn't leak and you have no cooling issues I would say run it till you have a problem... Perhaps he doesn't like the amount of rust and gunk in it but all he should have recommended was a good flushing for that.... Also 600 is extremely steep for a radiator...... Replace it yourself if you ever need to and save 450 easy or alot more for a real cheap one

Ridaith 08-18-2013 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infob (Post 15806558)
You mean 220?? Why did he say replace it? If it doesn't leak and you have no cooling issues I would say run it till you have a problem... Perhaps he doesn't like the amount of rust and gunk in it but all he should have recommended was a good flushing for that.... Also 600 is extremely steep for a radiator...... Replace it yourself if you ever need to and save 450 easy or alot more for a real cheap one

Oh, my bad. Haha I meant to say 210. But yeah, he said he ran a pressure test and it pissed some coolant but the bottle is still full and it seems like the engine is staying cool. It might just be a slow leak.

If I wait though, will it hurt the engine?

oakmckinley 08-18-2013 12:28 AM

I think he's trying to take you for a ride.

Check it out for yourself, when my TJ rad blew I had fluid leaking out (I could visually see the green discoloration) at the seams.
You would also be able to smell that oh so familiar smell of coolant if you had problems.

infob 08-18-2013 12:34 AM

Agreed check it out yourself... If you keep an eye on temp and check the level often if nothing becomes out of the norm then there isn't an issue that would require 600 worth in repairs... No harm will come to the motor unless it overheats and you don't catch it in time and it warps the head or cracks the gasket

MGrobe 08-18-2013 02:16 AM

Moved to WJ tech.

michiganmaveric 08-18-2013 06:35 AM

$600 for a rad is too much. I think mine was around $400 installed,

cubalz 08-18-2013 08:55 PM

Uh, My radiator was $110.00 shipped to my house. I replaced that, both hoses, T Stat and Anti Freeze replacement in an afternoon for around $200.00

It is easy to do. If you have someone else do it, I am going to need you to surrender your guy card. :laugh:

narnwv 08-18-2013 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infob (Post 15806558)
Also 600 is extremely steep for a radiator...... Replace it yourself if you ever need to and save 450 easy or alot more for a real cheap one

The whole front end of a WJ has to come off, including the A/C condenser to replace the radiator ( by the book)

OP: Pick up a radiator locally for about $200, or PM Kolak for an affordable Mopar replacement. It's possible, although barely, to replace the WJ radiator without pulling the condenser, but it's easiest to do it right and pull the whole front end of the Jeep off. (please see the WJ FAQ)

infob 08-18-2013 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by narnwv

The whole front end of a WJ has to come off, including the A/C condenser to replace the radiator ( by the book)

OP: Pick up a radiator locally for about $200, or PM Kolak for an affordable Mopar replacement. It's possible, although barely, to replace the WJ radiator without pulling the condenser, but it's easiest to do it right and pull the whole front end of the Jeep off. (please see the WJ FAQ)

Didn't realize what it was for... My mobile doesn't do the profile description thing or I'm just to far behind times to figure out how.... Think my estimate still falls into the price guess I made regardless though since I assumed after further research he would be doing it himself saving the 450 in labor costs

Edit... Now I'm confused somehow my mobile dropped me into the wj section... Hehe I have even less knowledge here than in the Cherokee section

The time now is 10:20 PM.