Should I replace the lifters? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Should I replace the lifters?

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!XJ Rail Sale!

Unread 10-27-2013, 02:24 PM   #1
jeepfan1982
2000 WJ 

Wj Should I replace the lifters?

I am in the process of replacing my cylinder head right now and I'm wondering if I should just replace the lifters while I have the head off. The engine has 201,000 miles on it already. There was no lifter tick when I took it off but I just don't ever want to have to take the head of again if possible. The engine has been maintained with quality oil and timely oil changes. What would you guys do?

jeepfan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2013, 02:56 PM   #2
nickblack
1999 WJ 

I wouldn't. If it aint broke don't fix it.
nickblack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2013, 03:20 PM   #3
McGR
2007 XK Commander 

I debated with myself regarding changing the lifters when I had my head off my 4.0 WJ earlier this year. I ultimately decided that I didn't want to do the job again because of a lifter, so I put in a new set. Given the relatively low cost of a replacement set, it seemed like cheap insurance.

I do understand some of the arguments for not changing lifters and some folks will say you need to install a new cam with new lifters... blah... blah... blah... . But, I have put new lifters on old cams numerous times and never regretted it. So far, we've put about 8K on our WJ since the new lifters. So far so good.
McGR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2013, 08:35 PM   #4
Cirruslydakota
1999 WJ 

The lifters are dirt cheap, replace them. Mine has 240,000+ miles on them and they were concave instead of convex like they're supposed to be. You could clearly see the wear pattern.

Anyway here's the rules:

New lifters on old cam - OK
Old lifters on new cam - NO

If you decide to reuse the lifters for some odd reason make sure you put them back in the exact same order from where they came out. They're a matched set and will cause wear and failure otherwise. Use a quality zinc assembly lube (GM EOS http://www.summitracing.com/parts/nal-88862586 that you can get from your local dealer.) and coat the cam as well as the bottoms of the lifters in it. I use a clean coffee can filled with EOS and 10w-30 engine oil and let the lifters bathe in it until I'm ready to put them in.
Cirruslydakota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.