Should I buy a "needs new engine" WJ donor? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Should I buy a "needs new engine" WJ donor?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDual Color LED Light Bars White/Amber

Unread 07-18-2013, 08:39 PM   #1
lance-tek
2001 WJ 

Question Should I buy a "needs new engine" WJ donor?

I found a WJ that has a good price tag (800 asking). I am considering making the buy instead of constantly seeking parts at the JY. However, this WJ (limited) might not be a good buy (hence the thread).

I have not called the number listed in the ad yet because it's late. But this gives me time to ponder the buy and to inquire with everyone here. What I can see is:
No body damage
No lift
stock Silverblades
No to package
No V8 on the rear
Factory foglights

So, is a blown L6 WJ limited worth 800 bux just based on this info (I too have the L6)? I can't get a good rear axle from it, I can only look for aftermarket mods under the hood (doubtful) and interior parts. Of course I will fish for a lower price too when/if I call.

What do you all think?

[CENTER][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/groups/built-not-bought/"]Built Not Bought # 736[/URL][/CENTER]

[color=red][B][CENTER]What WJ parts do you want from the JY? Send me a PM and I will let you know what's in stock[/CENTER][/B][/color]
lance-tek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2013, 09:53 PM   #2
cykaaro
2000 WJ 

I'd say it would depend, can you get it lower, what you want to strip and keep for your needs, and what you can sell off in parts that you don't need to keep. Start a list of what you want to keep. Beside it what you don't and want to sell, and then scrapping what's left. Does it make sense $$ wise? if yes, go for it, if no, wait and find another one that better suits your needs to do the same thing with.

HID Quad bi-xenon + foglight retrofit
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?44572-Jeep-2000-Grand-Cherokee-WJ
cykaaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2013, 10:03 PM   #3
TeeJay4490
1999 WJ 

Id buy it if it was the same color as mine

1999 Grand Laredo 4x4: [SIZE="2"]Whats left of a front bumper - JK Saharas' with 33's - 4 in. Rough Country lift - HID conversion - Double cardon conversion - TJ gas cap mod - Recovery points added - Painted cladding and grill - Skid plates - All moog suspension- Roof Rack -CB radio - Cut and trimmed fenders[/SIZE]

[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/tjswj-build-thread-1438516/[/url]

[url]http://wjjeeps.com/[/url]
TeeJay4490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2013, 09:19 AM   #4
WJ4x4LIFE

Can we see this said Ad?
WJ4x4LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2013, 10:01 AM   #5
CopperDeer
1999 WJ 

If you need a lot of parts, especially body parts, or are willing to have a dismantled heep parked around for a while, go for it, but I think it's a shame to part out a car that is fine other than the motor. You should see my last two donor Jeeps, both rollovers Hoping to pickup one from the insurance auction on Monday that looks like it hit a tree or telephone pole at ~45 mph.
CopperDeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2013, 10:18 AM   #6
aestrad1
2000 WJ 

You could make you $$ back parting it AFTER you take off the parts you need.
aestrad1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.