Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Should I buy another WJ?

2K views 21 replies 17 participants last post by  ChrisHager 
#1 ·
Just sold my WJ. Mechanic told me the engine would need a rebuild in the next year or so, and my tranny was also on its last legs. Wanted to sell it while there was still some value there.

I like WJs and would like to buy another. But they are getting old: The newest WJs are 12 years old, and you're luck to find one with around 100K miles.

So, my concern is whether almost any WJ I would buy is likely to have the same issues: engine and tranny probably needing a rebuild before very long. I don't want to buy another WJ and have to put several thousand dollars into it.

Would appreciate any thoughts on how others have approached the question of whether to buy an aging model.

Thanks,

AEP

#3 ·
I agree with @steve_80. If you're not wanting to install dollars, ANY 12 year old vehicle is probably not up your alley. Now, WJs are a labor of love. If you don't mind fixing the broken, you can have one heck of a nice jeep for not too much money.

Something else you have to think about - a $5k WJ with $3k worth of repairs and upgrades is a lot less than a $20k SUV.

#14 ·
Something else you have to think about - a $5k WJ with $3k worth of repairs and upgrades is a lot less than a $20k SUV.
The reason I will always keep mine (unless it gets wrecked).

I would much rather pay a credit card with a $3k engine replacement, opposed to a new car loan of $20k.

A lot of people say they can resell a new car, but I know a two people who bought 2014 Chevy Volts which costed them $32k and are now only worth $10-12k. Personally, I don't drive enough to essentially pay $10,000 a year for a car.

My suggestion to you would be to try a WK

#4 ·
Tough to say man, any used vehicle is a Gamble of sorts. I lucked out at bought mine from a widow who was selling her husbands "Baby", its in excellent condition inside and out with 201k (125k Miles) for $2200. But i had looked at one the week before that was $3500 with higher mileage and it was beat to hell. The best way to judge a used vehicle is getting as much info as you possibly can from previous owners, and taking it for a good test drive (Test everything and drive it reasonably hard).

Also in my experience, mileage is only one indicator of vehicle health, and a small one at that. Years ago i bought a 1985 chevy 1500 that had 40,000 miles on it and had been maintained by an old farmer meticulously, that thing started to fold about a year after i bought it (With minimal use). Its all a guessing game, but if you like WJ's and are relatively handy i would say go for it!

#5 ·
I agree as well. I just bought a 2001 Limited with 66k miles on it for about $3 thousand. I put a few hundred bucks into it, and hopefully she will last another 100k miles or more. This was after I shopped around for a 2012 Grand Cherokee and almost spent $28,000 on almost the same vehicle. Insurance is much cheaper too here in NJ for an older car.

By the way, I'm going to sell my other 2000 WJ with 118k miles on it if you can come to Jersey to see it.

#6 ·
Buy one after the owner dumps their money into it. I bought my '02 from a guy that had rebuilt the engine, swapped the trans and was at his breaking point when he then needed to replace suspension components (death wobble). I spent a couple weekends replacing control arm bushings and then had a WJ with a new lease on life.

#7 ·
I had a different approach. I am dumping money into mine. I have an 04 GC Overland that I bought for 3K with 160K miles on it. Body is in great shape. I am going to dump 10K ish into it so I can drive it another 100K +. I really like the body style and I like that it lacks all the NEW parking camera, lane change seat rumble, Traction Control, Navigation system that no body uses because they have WAZE on their phone, ETC ETC.

The biggest reason is I can still work on it. As I refresh this vehicle the more I learn about it. You cannot beat a nearly new-ish car for 13K.
Also, I just do not like the new vehicles that are coming out. The ones I do like are too expensive. This will be the second time I do this. The first was on a 2001 Chevy Tahoe Z71 - This was my brothers project and I helped him transplant the engine, rebuild the tranny, etc . He has put 75K on it with very little issues. (His wiper motor crapped out just recently and he got a new one at the junky for $20)

Just something to think about. This is my way of recycling :grin2:

#10 ·
What would that go for in Utah just curious.
Used to live well lived in a lot of places in Utah draper, riverton, bluffdale, herriman back in the early to late eighties all really small towns then bet they have grown a lot since then.
Live in Nevada now in a small town.

#11 ·
The issue I have with trying to find something to replace the WJ there just isn't much that is in its category for the price.
Its not huge has solid axles is fairly easy to work on from the stuff I have done but I have the 4.0.
When I was trying to buy a small SUV everything was either new with tons of fancy gimmicks and messed all up or just big *** tahoes and with 200+k on the clock to big to expensive or just to many miles.
My 4.0 has been a good rig for the 4 years I have had it put some money in shocks, brakes, tires, all the lift struts, new headlights and lots of cleaning but it looks great works great and is comfy to ride in without being to big in the city.
I would be curious as to what others would recommend in its price group that would be similar to its features a medium size SUV that is fairly reliable?

#12 ·
I know I'm gonna get flamed, but check out the Nissans - Pathfinder or Exterra... not nearly as capable offroad in my opinion, but...
And let it be known that I think you SHOULD buy another WJ.

#15 ·
YeepinBlue said:
My suggestion to you would be to try a WK
I agree. Even the 2005 wks dont seem to get the same body rot the 04 wjs do. Musta changed the paint/undercoating. Just get a v8 though, the 3.7 is a dog. They're great daily drivers with IFS. Of course a WJ can be made more capable off road, quadra drive 2 is quite capable.

#20 ·
^ This thinking is why I actually decided to go after an 04 with 70K miles. I paid "out the nose" for it and it was one of the ones that a previous poster said was on a lot for 8K. It's an HO Freedom.
My thought process was that my current 2000 now has 210K miles on it and has been relatively easy and cheap to work on. With the 04, I can confidently own it knowing most of what will go wrong, what it acts like when it goes wrong ...and how to fix it or if I need to give it to someone else to fix.

Just look at my signature...you can see what I did and reasonably...what the 04 will probably need.
I'd rather not have a new set of unknown issues if I can help it.
Familiarity can suck me and it feels good.

#21 ·
Bought my WJ with 195k on it. Engine rebuilt at 85k because of cam bearings. I'm fighting a recurring P0306 with it, a NASTY wobble when I get on the brakes, and a coolant leak that I absolutely CANNOT find (it's not going into the oil pan or the transmission) and sure, I get frustrated as all get out with it...but I wouldn't let it go for the world.

#22 ·
...I'm fighting a recurring P0306 with it ...and a coolant leak that I absolutely CANNOT find (it's not going into the oil pan or the transmission)
At risk of a thread derail here but...

I just looked at your previous threads and see you really have been fighting with this. I know it was touched on before but the first thing I think of when I read these two points is blown head gasket. I'd fire up one of your old threads and revisit this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.