Shortcut to a new key? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Shortcut to a new key?

Jeep LED Light Lights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Ledlight bar light locks @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-05-2011, 08:35 AM   #16
ndtruth
1999 WJ 

Sounds like a plan

Thanks for the feedback.

I will try it this weekend. I suppose I can easily test it by simply using the unchipped key with the normal key in the general vicinity. If that works, then I will just open up the covers and "duct tape" the good key inside.

As far as security, yes, there is always a chance of someone stealing the Jeep, but I really, really need two keys, and there is a much greater chance of me losing this one key that I have. Plus, the Jeep dealership down this way wants to charge me about $500 US to copy one key.

Now if I could figure out a way to disconnect that built in alarm which arms itself whenever I use the lock button to lock the doors. Yes, I also do not have the key fob for the alarm...

Thanks!

ndtruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2011, 10:22 AM   #17
MeanGreenZJ
Web Wheeler

He doesn't have many options being in Central America. The skim will save you from teenage joyriders and that's about it. I can drive away in someones skimmed WJ in less then 5 minutes anyways and there are people out there that have better hardware for the job then I do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xJoshxx View Post
which defeats the purpose of having skim all together!

Congrats somebody can steal ur wj way easy now
MeanGreenZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2011, 12:10 PM   #18
tybo09
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanGreenZJ View Post
He doesn't have many options being in Central America. The skim will save you from teenage joyriders and that's about it. I can drive away in someones skimmed WJ in less then 5 minutes anyways and there are people out there that have better hardware for the job then I do.
Like my uncle always says "locks only stop honest people."

Key based immobilizers are the worst thing to happen to vehicles since... ummm... $4.00 gasoline?

And yeah, I know the sensor is in the general area of the switch... I meant to figure out exactly where it is... but you knew that...
tybo09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2011, 12:31 PM   #19
MeanGreenZJ
Web Wheeler

Your uncle is right.

The skim is mounted to the steering column. It has a one piece design of which the antenna mounts over the key cylinder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tybo09 View Post
Like my uncle always says "locks only stop honest people."

Key based immobilizers are the worst thing to happen to vehicles since... ummm... $4.00 gasoline?

And yeah, I know the sensor is in the general area of the switch... I meant to figure out exactly where it is... but you knew that...
img_2700-1.jpg  
MeanGreenZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2011, 02:53 PM   #20
ndtruth
1999 WJ 

Thanks "MeanGreenZJ",

You are right - I do not have many options down this way, and I stand a greater risk being "keyless" than someone stealing this ride. Losing my only key is what keeps me up at night - I don't even think about the Jeep being stolen. Also, my wife and I share this vehicle, so we have to coordinate the solo key, which is a drama by itself.

Thanks everyone for the info - will submit my report once I try it out this evening...
Unread 08-05-2011, 03:42 PM   #21
ndtruth
1999 WJ 

Thanks "MeanGreenZJ",

You are right - I do not have many options down this way, and I stand a greater risk being "keyless" than someone stealing this ride. Losing my only key is what keeps me up at night - I don't even think about the Jeep being stolen. Also, my wife and I share this vehicle, so we have to coordinate the solo key, which is a drama by itself.

Thanks everyone for the info - will submit my report once I try it out this evening...
Unread 08-06-2011, 07:57 AM   #22
shockracer
14,000' WJ

2001 WJ 

Since this is the route your going to take, I would hide a switch some were and run your fuel pump power wire to it then run it back to the fuel pump. Will keep the ones that don't know were the switch is from starting it.
5" hybrid lift, 265/70/17 Guard Dogs load E, bilsteins 5100's, addco sway bars, JKS front quick disco's, JKS adjustable track bar, KOR durometer track bar bushings, IRO crucial path front L.A.s, 1.25" Spidertrax spacers

Colorado Jeep Club Member #262
shockracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2011, 08:12 AM   #23
shepd
2000 WJ 

A popular thing to do when "installing" such a key is to cut off the transponder from the key. This way someone can't start the Jeep with that key if they find it.

Of course, you will want to cut the other keys first and test them, if you don't you're in for some pain and money. And you might want someone here to confirm that Jeep didn't do something crazy and make the transponder stop working if you cut off the stem.
shepd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2011, 09:49 AM   #24
N3KRV
1995 ZJ 

Apirently my '95 Jeep dont' have a chipped key system the dealer made my replacement door keys via code for mefor 10.00 and I can go to any home depot or lowes and get a new one made.
Paul
N3KRV is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.