Shortcut to a new key? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Shortcut to a new key?

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 08-04-2011, 09:03 PM   #1
ndtruth
1999 WJ 

Wj Shortcut to a new key?

Hello,

I have read a lot on these forums about the key system in the WJ. I have only one key with the chip, and instead of paying a lot of money (I live in Central America, so nothing here is cheap) for a programmed key, I was wondering if this would work:

Suppose I get two "normal" keys cut, then take my good key with the chip and fasten it inside the steering housing, near to the "chip sensor". Wouldn't these normal keys then work?

Yes, I know I would lose some security, but right now I need to have two workable keys.

Anyone tried this?

Thanks!

ndtruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2011, 09:08 PM   #2
Falkon
2004 WJ 

It would work.
Falkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2011, 09:37 PM   #3
wsar10
2003 WJ 

well you already no the cons.....
so yes this would work, it would basicaly be the same theory as the "ghoast key" for a remote start

-03 WJ laredo 4.0 120k a few minor mods
-93 XJ 5spd, 3" zone lift
wsar10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2011, 10:20 PM   #4
tybo09
2001 WJ 

It sounds like it should work. The trick would be figuring out where that sensor is and making sure you get as cloas to it as possible.
Keep us posted. I, too, only have one key for my ride and the process of getting other ones made sounds like I might have to have approval from the U.N. or something.
tybo09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2011, 10:42 PM   #5
N3KRV
1995 ZJ 

i've seen those uncut keys on eBay for around 20.00 you can buy one of those and take your original key and program it to your jeep and have it cut at home depot or somewhere. I am lucky my Jeep don't have the chip keys.
N3KRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2011, 10:46 PM   #6
tybo09
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by N3KRV View Post
i've seen those uncut keys on eBay for around 20.00 you can buy one of those and take your original key and program it to your jeep and have it cut at home depot or somewhere. I am lucky my Jeep don't have the chip keys.
Don't you have to have 2 working chipped keys to program a new one? I was under the impression you had to. Otherwise, you have to go to the stealership and they do some fancy voodoo.
Unread 08-04-2011, 10:51 PM   #7
the88thpianoman
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tybo09 View Post
Don't you have to have 2 working chipped keys to program a new one? I was under the impression you had to. Otherwise, you have to go to the stealership and they do some fancy voodoo.
You are correct. In order to program a blank sentry key, you have to have two existing ones.
2003 WJ in Jeep Green Metallic, 4.0/242/4.10's. 4" Teraflex springs w/ RE monotube shocks and IRO short arms, cheap intake w/ amsoil filter, 2.5" hi flow cat and back exhaust, lots of lights and other misc crap.

Check out my build thread here: Life lessons and budget build
the88thpianoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2011, 10:58 PM   #8
tybo09
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by the88thpianoman View Post
You are correct. In order to program a blank sentry key, you have to have two existing ones.
See, now I'm conflicted. On one hand, I'm right. On the other, I'm going to have to go through a major PITA to get another key.

Unless the idea proposed by the creator of this thread works...

I hate key based immobilizer systems with a passion... I'm a victim of GM's Passlock II...

Can the stealerships even help if you only have one key?
When I bought my WJ, all I got was a key, the keyless entry key fob, and the title.
Unread 08-04-2011, 11:13 PM   #9
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

The dealer uses the drbiii tool to program the new key's rfid pass code to the skim. They dont need any keys to cut and program a new one.

you can either program a new key by using the two you have or you need the drbii AND the pin for the skim that only the dealer has access to. Anyone that makes a new security key for you other then the dealer is only cloning the signal from the one key you have and can not make a new key if you don't have one.
The receiver for the skim is a ring aground the ignition switch. You need the key within a couple inches of it to work as a ghost key.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2011, 11:15 PM   #10
shockracer
14,000' WJ

2001 WJ 

You can ask the dealership to print/cut you a key, you just need to give them the vin# and proof the vehicle is yours. They even had the key code on file for my 90 talon tsi.
5" hybrid lift, 265/70/17 Guard Dogs load E, bilsteins 5100's, addco sway bars, JKS front quick disco's, JKS adjustable track bar, KOR durometer track bar bushings, IRO crucial path front L.A.s, 1.25" Spidertrax spacers

Colorado Jeep Club Member #262
shockracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2011, 11:48 PM   #11
GRTeam
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by the88thpianoman View Post

Wrong. With the right equipment one can create a copy using only one key.
GRTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2011, 01:51 AM   #12
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockracer View Post
You can ask the dealership to print/cut you a key, you just need to give them the vin# and proof the vehicle is yours. They even had the key code on file for my 90 talon tsi.
They need the vehicle physically there to program a new key to it.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2011, 04:56 AM   #13
MeanGreenZJ
Web Wheeler

Fastening your programmed key inside the steering housing will work. There are other options, but this one is the cheapest and easiest.
MeanGreenZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2011, 04:58 AM   #14
xJoshxx
Web Wheeler

2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanGreenZJ View Post
Fastening your programmed key inside the steering housing will work. There are other options, but this one is the cheapest and easiest.
which defeats the purpose of having skim all together!

Congrats somebody can steal ur wj way easy now
The SRt-8's are a liberty design.
2011 WK2 ORA2
2012 WK2 SRT8
xJoshxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2011, 05:32 AM   #15
4Doors
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tybo09 View Post
The trick would be figuring out where that sensor is and making sure you get as cloas to it as possible.
Call me crazy, but I have a hunch that it's in the general vicinity of the ignition switch. No time right now to get into the details of why I think that...
4Doors is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.