Shocks question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Shocks question

6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREERuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 03-29-2010, 03:19 PM   #1
ry1820
2004 WJ 

Shocks question

I have an 04 Limited, I need new rear shocks but Im not sure if I have the Up Country suspension.
I am 99% sure I dont, because my 02 had it and there is a definite difference, but I want to be 100% sure.
How can I tell?
Also, does anyone have suggestions on what shocks to get? - Fully stock, I do some, but not a lot of off roading if that helps.

99 GC Limited - 4.7 V8 - Quadra Drive (sold; 110,000 miles)
02 GC Laredo - I6 - Selec Trac (sold; 123,000 miles)
04 GC Limited - 4.7 V8 - Quadra Drive (sold; 132,000 miles)
07 GC Limited - 4.7 V8 - Quadra-Trac II (sold; 78,000 miles)

(OlllllllO)

Last edited by ry1820; 03-29-2010 at 11:33 PM..
ry1820 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2010, 11:33 PM   #2
ry1820
2004 WJ 

Bump.
Really? Anyone??

(OlllllllO)
Unread 03-29-2010, 11:40 PM   #3
lateralus3
1994 ZJ 

dont they usually have a sticker on the window that says upcountry?
lateralus3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2010, 11:43 PM   #4
the88thpianoman
2003 WJ 

Your hub to fender measurements will be a good indicator of whether or not you have upcountry springs, and more importantly, whether or not that even matters. Stock with normal springs should be just at or slightly above 18". Upcountry also came with skid plates and tow hooks, so if you don't have any of those things, you don't have upcountry. A build sheet would be a good way to tell for sure.

As far as what shocks you should get, price range is probably the largest determination. Next would be what kind of ride quality you're after. Stiffer or smoother?

Also since you're replacing shocks (and why not do all four instead of just the rears?), and you do a little bit of wheeling, now would be an opportune time to add a budget boost.
2003 WJ in Jeep Green Metallic, 4.0/242/4.10's. 4" Teraflex springs w/ RE monotube shocks and IRO short arms, cheap intake w/ amsoil filter, 2.5" hi flow cat and back exhaust, lots of lights and other misc crap.

Check out my build thread here: Life lessons and budget build
the88thpianoman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2010, 12:48 AM   #5
ry1820
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by the88thpianoman View Post
Your hub to fender measurements will be a good indicator of whether or not you have upcountry springs, and more importantly, whether or not that even matters. Stock with normal springs should be just at or slightly above 18". Upcountry also came with skid plates and tow hooks, so if you don't have any of those things, you don't have upcountry. A build sheet would be a good way to tell for sure.

As far as what shocks you should get, price range is probably the largest determination. Next would be what kind of ride quality you're after. Stiffer or smoother?

Also since you're replacing shocks (and why not do all four instead of just the rears?), and you do a little bit of wheeling, now would be an opportune time to add a budget boost.
Both front and rear are at 18" (Isnt the rear supposed to be about an inch higher than the front?)
Anyways, I dont have skid plates or tow hooks, so I suppose I dont have upcountry. - Didnt realize that on my 02 those things were part of the same package.

I suppose I am looking for a bit stiffer ride...what do you suggest? And Iwill be doing all 4. I thought about that a little while ago and it seems to make a bit more sense.

(OlllllllO)
Unread 03-30-2010, 08:51 AM   #6
the88thpianoman
2003 WJ 

Many people find rancho shocks to be too stiff, but I like the way they ride a lot. I have the RSX shocks, and to me, they actually aren't quite stiff enough. I'd go with the RS5000 entry level ranchos if I were doing it again, so that's a shock you may want to consider to stiffen up the ride a bit.
2003 WJ in Jeep Green Metallic, 4.0/242/4.10's. 4" Teraflex springs w/ RE monotube shocks and IRO short arms, cheap intake w/ amsoil filter, 2.5" hi flow cat and back exhaust, lots of lights and other misc crap.

Check out my build thread here: Life lessons and budget build
the88thpianoman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2010, 09:11 AM   #7
WJJIM02
2002 WJ 

x2 on the Rancho RSX a great shock-I have had them in the past.Currently running Bilstein 5100 series monotubes and like the slightly stiffer ride and slightly better handling.Well worth the extra $ IMHO.
WJJIM02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2010, 10:54 AM   #8
EisBlade
1999 WJ 

For stock height you could get some Old Man Emu shocks. They are for a 2in lift, but if you're thinking of shoving a BB on it for a little bit more height then these will fit right in. Also, check out my write-up 'in progress' about shocks. I was running OME's, and then installed ProComp MX-6's two weeks ago. 6 settings, from soft to firm, you select what you want. They were $95 ea., but I think Kolak (@aol.com) sells them cheaper. Other nice riding shocks are the Rubicon Express monotubes...and they come with a lifetime warranty. Can't beat that.
The largest forum on Facebook for Road King and larger touring models.

Disclaimer:Not responsible for men of weak character.
EisBlade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.