shock question??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > shock question???

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Savvy FREE SHIPPING!Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 08-05-2011, 07:49 AM   #1
happy1426
1997 TJ Wrangler 

shock question???

I have a 99 jeep wj and it has a 2" spacer lift i put the cheap *** shocks that came with the kit on and they are no good now, my question is can i use the stock shock size liek a aftermarket shock, stock size for my 2" lift... or does the shocks have to be made for a 2" lift?? thanks

happy1426 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2011, 09:53 AM   #2
tybo09
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy1426 View Post
I have a 99 jeep wj and it has a 2" spacer lift i put the cheap *** shocks that came with the kit on and they are no good now, my question is can i use the stock shock size liek a aftermarket shock, stock size for my 2" lift... or does the shocks have to be made for a 2" lift?? thanks
If you've got a lift, I would go for longer shocks. Did the ones that came with you lift kit work as far as length and travel? If so measure those and get some the same size. I run skyjacker hydros and for the price, they aren't bad.
tybo09 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2011, 10:04 AM   #3
Thomahawk
2004 WJ 

Go for bilstein, you wont regret, contact Kolak with a pm or email at Kolak@aol.com

He offers good pricing.
R.I.P. 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 V8, Quadradrive, Shale Green Metallic, Agate/Carbon interior, Well modded and highly missed :(

Buildthread [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/jeep-norway-2th-buildt-overland-upgrade-1813490/[/url]

MONEY WILL CONTINUE TO BE THROWN INTO THE RIG UNTIL CONDITION AND SATISFACTION IMPROVES!!!
Thomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2011, 12:40 PM   #4
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

You definitely need to use longer shocks with a 2" lift. It is very easy to top-out factory-length shocks even on bumps on the street. I love Bilsteins but if you don't have $300 to spend on shocks, I recommend the Rancho RS5000s which are pretty good for cheap shocks.
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2011, 06:18 PM   #5
happy1426
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
You definitely need to use longer shocks with a 2" lift. It is very easy to top-out factory-length shocks even on bumps on the street. I love Bilsteins but if you don't have $300 to spend on shocks, I recommend the Rancho RS5000s which are pretty good for cheap shocks.
Do you have a web site i could order a set of the ranchos from ya not looking to spend a whole lot thanks
happy1426 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2011, 06:29 PM   #6
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

I'm not a vendor of any sort (any more). However, the choice of champions on Jeepforum: kolak@aol.com
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2011, 06:42 PM   #7
r_kelly252
2001 WJ 

you do not need an extended length shock with a BB lift, however as billzcat has put it you really need them as the shock isnt damping at the intervals it was designed for and with thus get less than half the lifespan out of them. your better off with bilsteins, look at this last thread where like 8 out of 10 people said bilsteins. including myself.
however yes the will set you back about $300
check ebay believe it or not they are $250 ish for bilstein HD's for 2" extended length. or kolak will set you up with 5100's or 5125's. i have the 5125's rear and 5100's front. paid about $300 as well though. wouldnt regret the ride.
but here is the other thread in which i was talking about
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/...hocks-1248738/
r_kelly252 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2011, 10:03 AM   #8
4Doors
1999 WJ 

I've got the Rancho RS5000 and don't regret the $175 spent at O'Reilly Autoparts (caught them during a rebate where I bought 3 and 1 was free).

And yes, get the shocks. I've got 2" spacers as well and the ride was not very good for the few months that I was on stock shocks.
4Doors is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.