shimmy when cruising - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > shimmy when cruising

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 11-06-2013, 08:57 PM   #1
toates89
1989 XJ Cherokee 

shimmy when cruising

Just replaced all 4 tie rods in my 99. This fixed the clunk, but I am still getting a shimmy over 55 when cruising. Its worst around 70mph. the second i accelerate it goes away.

Any ideas at what i should look at?

toates89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2013, 11:22 PM   #2
gotjeepzj

If the shimmy is in the steering wheel check your steering stabilizer.
gotjeepzj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2013, 09:44 AM   #3
Tumbleweed1954
2000 WJ 

Rotate your tires. If the problem goes away then it's a tire issue. Also check the ball joints. If you ARE NOT feeling the shaking in the steering wheel then check your u-joints.
Tumbleweed1954 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2013, 10:17 AM   #4
Highschool_WJ
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotjeepzj
If the shimmy is in the steering wheel check your steering stabilizer.
This only masks a much bigger problem, check the ball joints if you can feel the wobble in the steering wheel, or u joints if you can't. Then if those are good check the bushings on your upper and lower control arms
Highschool_WJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2013, 12:10 PM   #5
gotjeepzj

If its a new stabilizer already then yes it would just be masking. However on my dub with 140K the shimmy went away when I swapped the stock factory stabilizer for a direct replacement new one. The one that was on there was the original and had 0 resistance left and wasn't doing its job. If the shimmy is in your butt, check u joints.
Unread 11-10-2013, 05:03 PM   #6
Highschool_WJ
1999 WJ 

No, I've tested the theory on steering stabilizer, put a new one on and it cover up slightly worn ball joints. Wobble came back so I fixed ball joints. Put old steering stabilizer back on (it would fall on itself when set on its end) no wobble. Drove it like for a while and all I noticed was a some bump steer. Put new one back on and that went away as well.

I even contacted the dealer about this issue when my wobble came back. Steering stabilizers only mask other problems. It will fix it for a while but it will come back.
Unread 11-11-2013, 04:17 PM   #7
Tumbleweed1954
2000 WJ 

I may be wrong but I think the steering stabilizer is for off-road. It's like a shock absorber so if you hit a big rock or something the steering wheel doesn't fly out of your hand.
Tumbleweed1954 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2013, 06:47 PM   #8
Highschool_WJ
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbleweed1954
I may be wrong but I think the steering stabilizer is for off-road. It's like a shock absorber so if you hit a big rock or something the steering wheel doesn't fly out of your hand.
That is correct, but is also for on road use, to keep bumps in the road from tossing the vehicle back and forth
Unread 11-12-2013, 08:08 AM   #9
toates89
1989 XJ Cherokee 

The shimmy is felt in the seats. I think the rear bushing int he A arm above the rear axles is on its way out. I was told during inspection that the ball joints felt fine. I wish i asked this question earlier. snow just feel so i will deal with it until spring. i think i ll try and pull the front driveshaft and see if it improves.

Thanks
Unread 11-13-2013, 07:52 AM   #10
gotjeepzj

Rule of thumb is if you feel it in your seats, its in the rear. On a side note, I just solved my shimmy by rotating the tires. I took my left front and swapped with right rear. This wasn't recommended by anyone. I just got to looking at the tires and the left front had more edge wear from turning so I swapped it with right rear which had more of a square edge.
Unread 11-13-2013, 03:23 PM   #11
toates89
1989 XJ Cherokee 

the rear tires make it worse
Unread 02-10-2014, 10:02 AM   #12
toates89
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Its been a while but is has been resolved. I replaced all three tierods. and the shimmy was still there. aligned it. still there. then i drove all winter in all time 4x4 and it must of loosened something up because it started to go away.

then i had my tires balanced and rotated(the bad tierods caused some cupping)

Still need to do rear a arm

Thanks all

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.