Shimmy between 46-52mph - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By bjh0616

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 08-21-2017, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
bjh0616
2002 WJ 

Shimmy between 46-52mph

I have this shimmy that physically moves the steering wheel in my hand only between 46-52mph. When Im accelerating it is worse, but I can even feel it when completely off the throttle and brakes coming to a stop through this speed range. It is not as bad as death wobble, but I am afraid of hitting any bumps during this speed that might push it to start death wobble. So far I have replaced the drag link assembly, installed KOR super hard bushings in my JKS adj trackbar and just had the front tires road force balanced. I still feel like it has to be a tire issue, when they gave it back to me after road force balancing I noticed it had a good deal of weights on the inside and outside of the wheels, much more than when I brought it to them. I asked the shop to check the ball joints when they had the wheels off and they said it looked good. Any other suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-21-2017, 07:43 PM
skipperau

Wheel bearings are a possible candidate here, I personally think you're on the right track thinking it's tyre related, but seeing you've just had them rebalanced I'd look at the wheel bearings. Tie rod ends too.
post #3 of 6 Old 08-21-2017, 08:38 PM
gsxr800
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh0616 View Post
I have this shimmy that physically moves the steering wheel in my hand only between 46-52mph. When Im accelerating it is worse, but I can even feel it when completely off the throttle and brakes coming to a stop through this speed range. It is not as bad as death wobble, but I am afraid of hitting any bumps during this speed that might push it to start death wobble. So far I have replaced the drag link assembly, installed KOR super hard bushings in my JKS adj trackbar and just had the front tires road force balanced. I still feel like it has to be a tire issue, when they gave it back to me after road force balancing I noticed it had a good deal of weights on the inside and outside of the wheels, much more than when I brought it to them. I asked the shop to check the ball joints when they had the wheels off and they said it looked good. Any other suggestions?

I have that shimmy between 42-47 mph. Not there before. Not there after. It's so precise it's amazing.

02 Grand Cherokee 4.0 w/IRO 3" lift, Procomp ES9000, Adj track bar, 17" JK Moab w/GY Wrangler STR

post #4 of 6 Old 08-21-2017, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
bjh0616
2002 WJ 

Yes, mine is definitely very precise in this speed range. What's highly annoying about it is my commute to work is mainly a 45mph zone with heavy traffic so I spend 90% of my drive time in this speed range.
gsxr800 likes this.
post #5 of 6 Old 08-23-2017, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
bjh0616
2002 WJ 

Before I took it to have the tires re balanced I had the air pressure at 32 psi, I noticed that they had them all at 39 psi after I got it back. I have 265 70 18 General grabber at2's, I am going to lower it back down to 30-32 psi and see if that makes a difference. What is the correct pressure it should be?
post #6 of 6 Old 08-23-2017, 10:36 AM
skipperau

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh0616 View Post
Before I took it to have the tires re balanced I had the air pressure at 32 psi, I noticed that they had them all at 39 psi after I got it back. I have 265 70 18 General grabber at2's, I am going to lower it back down to 30-32 psi and see if that makes a difference. What is the correct pressure it should be?

Look at the tyres load information on the sidewall. I run mine at around 75% of max pressure. In the case of my Falkens, max load rating is at 51psi, I run them at 46 and they are great, if I run them at the placard pressure they squirm and handle poorly.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.