Shifter Assembly Replace - Quick Questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Shifter Assembly Replace - Quick Questions

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Jeep Wrangler Complete Gear Upgrade Kits with Installs andBaseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft Ki

Unread 03-09-2013, 07:36 AM   #1
JeepJeffW
2004 WJ 

Shifter Assembly Replace - Quick Questions

04 GC Limited, 4.7, 5-45RFE, Quadra-Drive.

I'm replacing the Shifter mechanism today (hopefully) and plan to use the wjjeeps site for this. When looking at the site it shows how to remove the floor console however I haven't found anything on removing the shift assembly itself. The floor console and negative battery cable are removed so now the fun begins. Any way, while looking at the assembly the hook ups look pretty simple but I have a few specific questions. Pretty mechanically inclined, do most of my own work, but am also experienced at charging headstrong before all the facts are known. Thus this post....

1) On the transfer case shifter is there a trick to getting the cable (metal loop) fitting off the post for the shifter? On the factory it looks to be plastic and on my replacement it is metal with a small indentation about 1/8" from the end. Or is that plastic part on the OE just a retention cap. Just want to be sure before tearing into it. On the tranny shifter it looks like just removing the small bolt and graduated plate.

2) For the electrical plug on the back. The clip holding it in place is on the bottom. Is it one of those you pull out the red tab or does it flip up or down? I haven't looked that close yet but figured I'd ask here before doing this, I do tend to get a little forceful when things heed my progress, and don't want to screw it up.

3) Remove the bolts holding the assembly in place before removing cables or just loosen them and remove after?

Any other tips or usefull information to make this painless as possible on me would be appreciated. Thanks, Jeff.

~~~~ Dr. Adrian Rogers, 1984
JeepJeffW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2013, 08:34 AM   #2
gcjeeping
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Removing the whole shifter assy.

If you do the whole thing.

Remove Trans gear select cable.

Remove 8mm screw from side of trans gear selector cable facing the passenger side. remove cable.

Remove middle cable from shifter.

Pops off arm at shifter.

Remove cable from 4x4 selector.

Pops off with a small screwdriver between the cable and shifter.

Remove metal bracket at front of shifter.

Think 4 nuts.

Remove the 4x4 select cable from base.

Use screwdriver to pop off cable retaining clip at front of shifter base. Slip retainer off base.

Remove other 2 cables from base.

The other two cables you have to press the sides of the retainer and push them through the bracket.

Remove the harness assy.

Disconnect harness from back of base. Simple push release.

Pry 2 clips that hold the harness on the drivers side of shifter base.

Remove assy.

Remove 4 nuts from shifter base.

Shifter should come out.

Reassemble in reverse.
gcjeeping is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2013, 08:44 AM   #3
JeepJeffW
2004 WJ 

Printed out and on my way to the carport. Thanks

Unread 03-09-2013, 10:36 AM   #4
JeepJeffW
2004 WJ 

Dang man, came out and went in easy. Just got back from a quick test ride and everything functions great. Thanks so much for the reply!!! Only had two little glitches, 1) had to replace some insulation that came up with the old assembly (used some foam I had laying around) and 2) be careful to make sure BOTH seatbelts are OUTSIDE of the console before starting to screw it back into place. Had to remove the two center screws before I noticed the driver side seatbelt was inside it. Even found 83 cents a couple pens and a pencil for my troubles.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.