Shift cable issue?!? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Shift cable issue?!?

Currie RockJock Products!!This is a shout out to all INTERNATIONAL Customers! Yes weEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 02-04-2013, 06:12 AM   #1
williamtii

Shift cable issue?!?

Hey everyone,

I just finished putting a new trans in the '01 Grand Cherokee but am having an odd (to me) shift issue.It will shift down through all the gears (park to 1st) but not back up. The shifter goes up but the cable does not pull the trans selector.
The trans selector moves nicely, better than the old one that came out. And the cable moves properly too, when disconnected. It was never touched, I unbolted the whole bracket for the swap. Am I missing something?

Thanks!

williamtii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2013, 06:28 AM   #2
99WJ539918
1999 WJ 

Can you move the selector on the trans by hand?
PSA - It would be nice if people made an attempt while typing to discuss their problems or opinions instead of one long sentence with no punctuation. Maybe I'm cynical, but that really pisses me off. Rant over.

"It's like saying I had a car I got that was painted by the previous owner. I had an accident so painting a car is unsafe." - cykaaro
99WJ539918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2013, 07:21 AM   #3
williamtii

Yes, it operates nicely, even better than the old one. It just wont return. I can drive it around, but have to shut the car off and crawl underneath to Manually put it in park. The cable looks fine, nothing appears to be out of place.
Unread 02-04-2013, 11:03 PM   #4
99WJ539918
1999 WJ 

When you go from Park to Drive it shifts, but when you go from Drive to Park the cable won't pull it into Park - is that right?
Unread 02-06-2013, 04:25 PM   #5
williamtii

Correct! All I did was unbolt the bracket from the old trans and back on to the new one. I'm about ready to order a new cable but I dont see any problem with this one.
Unread 02-06-2013, 11:03 PM   #6
99WJ539918
1999 WJ 

That's weird. I don't see why it would work going into gear, but not out of gear...? Did you run the cable properly? Maybe it's stretched to long and the shifter button on the lever itself isn't releasing the lock. When in Drive, does the shifter button on the lever have any tension on it, or is it real loose?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.