Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Shaking/Overheating Issue

392 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  jclaudii 
#1 · (Edited)
Shaking/Overheating Issue...AC the culprit? **UPDATED**

Good morning everyone. I have an interesting issue going on with my 2000 JGC Limited. I was driving down the street, with the AC on, and as soon as I hit 45, it started to get the shakes. I pulled over and let it sit for a moment, checking under the hood and noticing nothing out of the ordinary. I went on my way again with no issues until I hit 45 and again it started shaking uncontrollably but this time the temp. gauge started to climb. I pulled over and popped the hood and noticed a burning smell but couldn't figure out where it came from. I let it sit for a minute, cranked it up and drove it home, staying under 45, and the temp never rose. I have driven it a few times since, never above 40 and the temp gauge was normal and never shook. I haven't added a new lift to it or anything and there are no codes showing. No odd puddles or leakage when she sits. Any suggestions as to what could be going on and where I should start? I don't really want to try to test it and get it up past 45 again. Thank you in advance!

**UPDATE** So I have been driving it around with windows down and have had no issues. I've had it up to 55 mph and no shakes. I haven't had the time to try it with the AC on, but I really believe it has something to do with the AC. The belt looks good, no cracks. I also haven't had much time to do an in depth look at underneath, when I did, nothing out of the norm stood out. Hopefully this can help lead to some more possibilities.

See less See more
#2 ·
I noticed the other day after a certain RPM my with my AC on it would slip on the clutch of the AC compressor and make the serpentine belt slip. Maybe you are in something of the same boat because if that belt slips your water pump wont pump and will cause a slow overheat.

#3 ·
Good morning everyone. I have an interesting issue going on with my 2000 JGC Limited. I was driving down the street, with the AC on, and as soon as I hit 45, it started to get the shakes. I pulled over and let it sit for a moment, checking under the hood and noticing nothing out of the ordinary. I went on my way again with no issues until I hit 45 and again it started shaking uncontrollably but this time the temp. gauge started to climb. I pulled over and popped the hood and noticed a burning smell but couldn't figure out where it came from. I let it sit for a minute, cranked it up and drove it home, staying under 45, and the temp never rose. I have driven it a few times since, never above 40 and the temp gauge was normal and never shook. I haven't added a new lift to it or anything and there are no codes showing. No odd puddles or leakage when she sits. Any suggestions as to what could be going on and where I should start? I don't really want to try to test it and get it up past 45 again. Thank you in advance!
Is this death wobble? I'm unsure how the ac is tying into the vehicle shaking when going over 45mph?

Check coolant level when cold at radiator.

Check your electric fan, turn ac on and start rig, does fan come on?Jack front end up and shake everything. If your unsure what to look for watch some youtube videos on how to test ball joints for play and tie rod ends for play. Uneven tire wear is a dead giveaway. Could be a hub bearing as well.

Last is to check the tire pressure, missing wheel weights or get tires balanced, and the track bar bushings.

As for smell, pull serpentine belt off and spin all pulled by hand...the idler pullies If they seize up will cause the burnt smell and eventually break the belt.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.