Semi-Loud grinding noise after inspection - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Semi-Loud grinding noise after inspection

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comExtremeTerrain GROUP BUY: Barricade Rear Bumpers/Tire Carr

Unread 05-12-2011, 10:55 AM   #1
surfdevil05

Semi-Loud grinding noise after inspection

Hello everyone,
so where to start...
Recently took my 1999 Grand Cherokee (Laredo) 6cyl. 4.0L to get an inspection done because it was past due. Basically, the jeep was running perfectly before the inspection, no noises, ran silent and strong. everything functioned perfectly.

The Mechanic went through his inspection routine checked all the lights, horn, caty converter... etc. He did Lift the whole truck up on one of those large cylindrical jacks. (At least 6 or 7 feet in the air). He checked around on underside a bit then passed the truck.

Now for the bad part. Immediately after the inspection as I drove away from the lot, I noticed it making semi-loud grinding noises. I don't really notice it in first gear but as soon as it shifts to second and up, it starts grinding and making obnoxious noises of varying sounds that relate to grinding and knocking. The loudness does vary and change depending on rate of acceleration. Once a steady speed is reached the noises remain at a constant rate. Not very loud but definably noticeable.
I cant really pinpoint the location of the noises but If I had to guess, I would mainly say it's coming from the front end... if this helps at all.

Any help would really be appreciated. I don't know if the mechanic did any thing to cause this problem or if it was maybe the complete lift of the car. Either way, I am very confused as to how this happened and started.

Thanks in advance everyone!

surfdevil05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2011, 02:19 PM   #2
surfdevil05

Oh here's some extra info,

I just replaced both front wheel bearings and Hub Assemblies less than 2 months ago so it it cant be them. Also, when starting engine, a quick couple of knocks occur randomly. Then when at a complete stop after driving for a few minutes, I get a somewhat steady light knocking... seems to be coming from the front right area of the truck.

Thanks again
Unread 05-12-2011, 02:24 PM   #3
victorito
1999 WJ 

depending on the front drive shaft you have, if you WJ has the rezzepa my guess will be yours just past away, hehe, what type of transfer you have, if you have the 242 you could take the DS out and see if the noise is still there.

It doesn't need to have a lift to blow the drive shaft.

Regards.
victorito is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2011, 03:51 PM   #4
narnwv

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorito View Post
if you have the 242 you could take the DS out and see if the noise is still there.

It doesn't matter what transfer case you have, you can take out the front drive shaft regardless.

narnwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2011, 04:27 PM   #5
surfdevil05

Ok thanks guys, I will try removing the front DS and report back with the details. Hopefully that will point me in the right direction
Unread 05-18-2011, 02:44 PM   #6
surfdevil05

good news everyone, turns out my transfer case was making the noises... we caught it just in time before it could cause serious damage.... basically he fluids had completely leaked out of it and it just started grinding and rattling.

Thanks everyone
Unread 05-18-2011, 03:48 PM   #7
roadcrew
1999 WJ 

glad you found the problem. but wouldn't an under inspection involve a diff and tc fluid inspection? i mean its up in the air and only would take literally 2 minutes.
roadcrew is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2011, 04:42 AM   #8
surfdevil05

I guess not or they would have caught it.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.