Select Trac FT 4wd - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Select Trac FT 4wd

KrawlOff-Road.com now Carries Iron Rock Off Road!!!!!Toxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 01-08-2014, 01:02 PM   #1
js12278
1999 WJ 

Select Trac FT 4wd

With the recent weather here in Illinois I have had my first event for using 4wd. I was on the way home last night when road conditions gave me reason to shift into 4wd. I slowed to a safe speed @20mph and shifted from 2wd to FT 4wd. Now I have owned 4wd vehicles in the past and I can feel when it shifts into 4wd but this was different.

When the road is patchy, the front axle seems awfully grabby. If I hit a dry spot or snow free area it feels like the WJ is in 4LO. and I do not feel comfortable driving too fast with it feeling that way. If I get the WJ back on snow/ice the front axle feels smoother but not like I feel comfortable to scoot along at 55mph because I know as soon as I hit a dry spot it will really grab the wheel.

Any ideas on where I go from here? Also, The shifting out of 4wd back into 2wd is like waiting for the second coming of Christ.

Is it necessary to pull the center console to make adjustments if they need to be made?

Thanks in advance.

js12278 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2014, 01:08 PM   #2
brouwmat
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

You shouldn't notice a huge difference with the higher speeds. I drive mine in that mode all the time. However, you may experience some binding when tooling around in parking lots and such because both wheels are under power.

You say it acts like it is in 4 lo. What do you mean by that.?

It should shift out of 4wd if you allow it to coast for a bit. Sometimes I have to do it a couple of times but not more than that. If it takes longer or if that doesn't work you should have it looked at.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
brouwmat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2014, 01:13 PM   #3
js12278
1999 WJ 

If I am going the legal speed limit it just feels grabby as if I am going way too fast to even consider being in 4wd. And forget about having one tire on pavement and one on snow or ice. You definitely get yanked onto the dry pavement. I got pulled over yesterday by a county deputy. He thought I was DUI. Told him I was trying to shift back into 2wd and he wished me good luck..lol
Unread 01-08-2014, 01:22 PM   #4
brouwmat
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

You've got something else going on there. Locked diffs? Do you know if the PO put a locker in there?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
brouwmat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2014, 01:25 PM   #5
ChrisHager

2004 WJ 

Agreed. Something isn't right. I've had mine in full time this week when driving on the wonderful Springfield roads. You can hardly notice it except for the obvious added traction.
Hers: 2000 TJ
Hers: 2010 Jetta

ChrisHager's 'Grilled' Thread
ChrisHager is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2014, 01:41 PM   #6
js12278
1999 WJ 

Chris this is exactly what I was expecting, just the additional bite. I am pretty sure the PO left it factory, no locker. I have done some searching and I am finding more posts regarding an adjustment on the cable. If I had known I was going under there today I would have washed the WJ. It is a crusted mess in the garage right now from the drive home. UGH.
Unread 01-08-2014, 01:47 PM   #7
ChrisHager

2004 WJ 

I'm sure it's nasty under there! It almost sound to me like you're in Part Time... Adjusting the cable would fix this if that's the case.
Hers: 2000 TJ
Hers: 2010 Jetta

ChrisHager's 'Grilled' Thread
ChrisHager is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2014, 01:49 PM   #8
ezflip

2002 WJ 

Sounds like it's not going all the way into fulltime, instead you are really in part time. When was the fluid last changed? Also, it's good practice to shift through the 4wd gears a couple times a month just to keep everything moving. When the shift forks sit for awhile, they tend to stick. I would start with a fluid change and then shift through the gears for a solid 5-10 minutes.

Sent from inside my dinosoar head.

2002 Overland - 4.7 HO, "Select-Drive", 4" RC long arms, TAG front winch bumper, 32" BFG KM's, 3" exhaust, Magnaflow hi-flow cat, Flowmaster 50 series

Build Thread
ezflip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2014, 02:13 PM   #9
js12278
1999 WJ 

I am going to be replacing the shifter seal on the transfer case. I will at that time be doing a fluid change. When it was done before by PO, no clue, but the fluid is cherry last time I checked the level. I am doing the seal because it has some staining on the case, nothing serious.

I suppose I have to remove the center console to get to the shifter cable adjustment, correct? I will lube the snot out of it when I get in there as well.
Unread 01-08-2014, 03:36 PM   #10
js12278
1999 WJ 

Before I take the center console out, can someone confirm that there is an adjustment on the shifter? I don't see anything about adjustment, only R/R on the cable in Haynes. Thanks.
Unread 01-08-2014, 04:49 PM   #11
Upside
2002 WJ 

If your tire diameters are even slightly different the 242 will have issues like this. My old tires had not been rotated properly so one pair had a few 32nds less tread. When trying to shift to FT it would sometimes get stuck in PT. It would also stick in PT when shifting to 2WD. My solution was to shift to neutral first then to FT and make sure my tire pressures were equal. When shifting back out of FT I'd go to neutral then swiftly shift it directly to 2WD.

With my new properly rotated tires I haven't had any problems at all.

I haven't had the shifter apart at all.
Upside is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2014, 05:32 PM   #12
snoWJ
1999 WJ 

^This, plus having consistent tire pressure on all 4 corners make a huge impact on shifting into/out of FT and PT.
Unread 01-08-2014, 08:35 PM   #13
wjjeep19
2002 WJ 

You could also try to reverse slowly, shift from 4wd to 2wd and then quickly reverse faster. Works for me like a charm - smooth as butter.
wjjeep19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2014, 05:52 AM   #14
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

Leave the console alone (for now). The adjustment is actually at the cable connection near the transfer case. Look at the attachment to the case and you'll see what I'm referring to.

A bracket should be looked at first for where the cable changes over to the actuator rod and then the rod changes to a ball/socket setup at the TC lever.

Agree that the basics should be checked first as it sounds like there's a Part-time characteristic not letting the wheels slip as intended as they need in Full-time.

I use Full-time throughout the speedo range with no issues and have for years. Mostly I stay in 2wd and am certain to shift through all modes about every oil change.
Changes & fixes: Rear Addco sway bar & greasble bushings, upgraded headlights, upgraded tail lights, new hood struts (replaced 2X), new rear hatchglass struts, new radiator (replaced 3X), new oil pressure sending unit (replaced 4X), 2 new speed sensors, 2 new door lock actuators, new ignition key cylinder, chrome front tow hooks, Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/30, Purolator Pure One oil filter, EBC slotted & dimpled rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads, new front shocks (replaced 3X), new rear shocks (replaced 2X), new IRO steering stabilizer, new timing chain cover, new water pump, thermostat, new thermostat housing, new high pressure power steering hose, Michelin-X radials, new sunroof assembly, new single-piece lug nuts, new exhaust manifold studs & gasket on driver's side, new Durango alternator. Jeepforum.com sticker, Visit cobaltboatsforum.com when you can!
Double E is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2014, 10:00 AM   #15
KayCeeJeep
2004 WJ 

I think you have a mechanical issue and you're on the right track, but it does sound like you're stuck in PT. The Selec Trac seems a bit prone to this IMO. I have better results when I slam it straight into FT (no hesitation at the PT setting) and then slap the skinny pedal. My Jeep is also more cooperative if its warmed up as opposed to stone cold. Stopping and then reversing as suggested also seems to aid in getting it to drop where its supposed to.

The FT on Selec Trac is awesome! I've been in it for weeks now, great feature.
KayCeeJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.