Security reset - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Security reset

August special - FREE XJ Unibody stiffeners when you buy a~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!

Unread 06-17-2010, 11:26 AM   #1
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Security reset

Apparently my 2000Jeep has sat idle with a dead battery so long the security system has disabled (acts like bad CKS). How do I reset. There is no security option on this Jeep.

2000 grand cherokee larado I6

ColdCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2010, 12:28 PM   #2
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Spouse was in a panic so I posted this before taking the time to search. It looks like a sentry key problem, correct me if I'm wrong but the only way to fix it is a tow into dealer, then tow it back to the tranny shop. Not a good day. Hope its not a PCM.
Unread 06-17-2010, 12:56 PM   #3
nlynd1978
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
Apparently my 2000Jeep has sat idle with a dead battery so long the security system has disabled (acts like bad CKS). How do I reset. There is no security option on this Jeep.

2000 grand cherokee larado I6
If you have no security on the jeep how did it reset?

Looking for help- http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/completely-turns-off-while-driving-no-codes-1049268/
nlynd1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2010, 12:58 PM   #4
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Its the sentry key system (chip on the key) that all 1998+ Chrysler vehicles seem to have, not an optional security system
Unread 06-17-2010, 01:01 PM   #5
nlynd1978
2001 WJ 

so you have transponder keys. The pcm is encoded with you keys signal. dead battery should not wipe it. If you jeep wont start after leaving it dead for a month you have other problems. I pulled mine out of my friends garage it sat there with a dead battery for 6 years. key still works.

Looking for help- http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/completely-turns-off-while-driving-no-codes-1049268/
Unread 06-17-2010, 01:16 PM   #6
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

You should know of the SKIS system is disabling your Jeep because the amber security light will lightup on the dash. But it allows your Jeep to start for a couple seconds before automatically turning the engine off. So if the engine isn't even starting, it isn't the SKIS system. If the battery is completely toast, start by replacing it with a known good battery (not just jumping it or trying to charge it). The electronics (computer) are very finicky if they don't get enough power.
Unread 06-17-2010, 02:40 PM   #7
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Yes I did all that prior to shipping it off to the tranny shop. It had classic CKS symptom, start for a few seconds then die, no codes. Gauges pass test but stay pegged to left. Tried a relatively new battery from another vehicle. Fuel rail pressure OK. Since the CKS was probably the problem, (really a PITA to get at without loosening the trans mounts on this Jeep) and they were probably going to pull the tranny anyway I took a chance and just had the tranny shop change the sensor. The red sentry key light did not register with me, thought it was either bulb check or seatbelt indicator... I dunno my mistake.

Everyone here was saying CKS but the tranny shop noticed the sentry key indicator right off. Tried second key but no joy, its being towed to dealer... could be simple as corrupted sentry key memory or worse, a PCM failure.

Getting this vehicle back on the road has been quite an adventure.

Thanks for all the help. I hope I can afford the electricity to post the results after the dealer gets through with it.
Unread 06-17-2010, 09:04 PM   #8
nlynd1978
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
It had classic CKS symptom, start for a few seconds then die, no codes.

Actualy sounds like a skis issue. When it starts is the skis light on, or does it come on when the vehicle die?

Unread 06-18-2010, 03:19 PM   #9
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

This turned out to be a bad PCM. Dealer could not program it to clear sentry thing. Patching in a test PCM worked well for them until the CKS showed another failure. Dealer estimate is $1100 to repair PCM and CKS, like $700 for the Mopar PCM, another $140 for the CKS and $300 labor, which includes the troubleshooting. My choice is to have it towed back to the house or have the dealer try to fix it. Oh well.

I wonder if the Mopar PCM is a quality rebuilt, or the same quality as the $150 ones on ebay.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.