Security Key Imobilizer System failed?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Security Key Imobilizer System failed??

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 02-02-2013, 11:03 AM   #1
boeckm
2000 WJ 

Wj Security Key Imobilizer System failed??

2000 Grand Cherokee Limited 4.0 w/140k driving to work last week the check gauges beeps and ALL my gauges are at 0, oil pres, tach, speed, volts, check engine and SKIS (key with circle & slash) lit. Still running well down the interstate. The gauges come back and light go out, does this several times. I get to work and read a few forums says try disconnecting the neg. battery lead so at lunch I do that. Couple hours later I reconnected and tried to start it the SKIS indicator is staying on, jeep starts runs 2 sec. SKIS flashes. Researched that problem and suggestions were to try another key, had wife bring my spare (both appear as original grey keys and worked before), no luck. Disconnected neg. battery again and left sit over night. Came back next day same problems, hauled it home on trailer and preceded replace battery and cable ends, cleaned main body ground, alternator, and main power box connections, no fix. Did voltage test on PCI wire normal 0.5 to 2.5vdc. Checked power, ground, and PCI wire at SKIS module connector. Does anyone have any idea other than hauling to dealer and tossing $$$ to them?

boeckm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2013, 05:14 PM   #2
boeckm
2000 WJ 

well the dealer got it to see the keys and run again but still have the intermittent dead gauges and key fail. They are charging $75 an hour to try and figure it out
Unread 02-18-2013, 07:56 AM   #3
boeckm
2000 WJ 

Got the jeep back 1.2 hours or $99 and problem was "cleared while checking". I did notice another detail, the fuel gauge appears to be more accurate, prior to the problem it was staying on full for over 100 miles then dropping rapidly.
Unread 02-19-2013, 03:21 AM   #4
zr2s10
2012 WK 

So did they do anything other than reprogram for the keys? What did they mean "cleared while checking"? That it just stopped doing it?
zr2s10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2013, 06:17 AM   #5
SoCal812
1999 WJ 

mine acts up everyonce in awhile after new keys and all that good stuff i just have to adjust the steering wheel up and down a few times and its good.
SoCal812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2013, 03:45 PM   #6
boeckm
2000 WJ 

problem is back, scheduled to return to dealer this friday
Unread 04-03-2013, 05:33 PM   #7
michiganmaveric
Got Beer?

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zr2s10 View Post
So did they do anything other than reprogram for the keys? What did they mean "cleared while checking"? That it just stopped doing it?
Yep, the problem corrected itself and they did not do anything. Same thing happened to mine, except my gauges would go wild bouncing all over the place. It would come and go with no rhyme or reason. Did some trouble shooting and found a couple of things that did not fix it. I had 317,000 and looking over the Jeep found a lot of things that were going to have to be fixed in the near future so decided not to dump any more money into it and am parting it out.

I think a couple of people have had a fix for this problem by changing the BCM. Try a search and you will find some threads about this problem.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, how do you have time to do it over.

Lifetime member #13

www.militaryjeepers.com lifetime member/airforce26yrs

2011 Tango/Mango JKU
michiganmaveric is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2013, 05:48 PM   #8
ZeJokee
1993 ZJ 

Same thing happened to me as the OP. Everything corrected itself except my passenger locks and windows and keyless entry and security.
99 WJ Ltd, Blacked out, 4.7L, 242j Swap, 2'' BB, 245/75/16 Kuhmo Venture AT KL78, Flow Master Super 40, MagnaFlow high flow Cat, Akebono caliper upgrade, Addco rear swaybar, Westin brush guard, Moog Super Trail Boss, Rancho RS5000, Rola roof rack with dual kayak J hooks, PAC-AOEM-CHR, Sony Xplod 1200w amp, 2 Sony Xplod 12'' subs, 118,XXX miles (SOLD)
93 ZJ Ltd, Blacked out, 5.2L, Reman 46RH, Reman 242 Swap, 3.5'' IRO + 2" BB, 33x12.50r15 Mud Claw MTX radials, Bushwacker Flares, 216,XXX miles (Still parked in NC)
04 F-350 SD Crew Cab FX4 Lariat, 6.0 PSD SRW, Head studs, AFE Stage 2 SI Pro Guard 7 intake, Blue Spring mod, 150,XXX Miles

ZeJokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2013, 07:34 PM   #9
matt726
2004 WJ 

My '04 4.0 had similar symptoms, thought it was a skim issue, but turned out the wiring running across the back of the engine had rubbed the insulation off and was shorting out. Common problem I guess on 4.0, I'd take a look at the harness at the rear by the valve cover.
matt726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2013, 07:28 PM   #10
boeckm
2000 WJ 

well the dealer had it 2 weeks and never even moved it, picked it up and came home, decided to charge the battery since by now about a month with out running more than 2 seconds, full charge and it ran again. So I decided to go with another post suggestion and try the alternator. $179 replaced it and been running fine, no gauges failing, no SKIM all seem good again
Unread 05-22-2013, 08:45 PM   #11
indept
2000 WJ 

except for the SKIS issue, I had the same thing a few years ago, turned out to be the Crank Position Sensor. Only other difference was when the gauges would die the engine would lose power as I was doing 80 mph down the road then just start going again. the first few times it didn't throw a code but finally it did.
Unread 05-22-2013, 11:48 PM   #12
gordondude24
2000 WJ 

I had the exact same problem with my 2000 wj and it was a broken wire inside the drivers door boot. I think it was the yellow wire with white or purple stripe, cant really remember right now. I believe it is the data bus wire.
Anyway, you would never know the wire was broke just by looking at it. The insulation wasnt broken but the copper wire inside was. I cut the wire there and spliced in a longer piece and havent had a problem since. Hopefully this will help you some.

John

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.