Seat is stuck in my Overland!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Seat is stuck in my Overland!!

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-01-2011, 06:00 PM   #1
bhicks
2002 WJ 

Seat is stuck in my Overland!!

So my wife calls me a little while ago and tells me the seat is stuck all the way back and she can't reach the peddles. I drove down and traded cars with her. The seat will move up and down and tilt back and forth but will not move in and out along the track. The motor kicks on but only moves the seat about a 1/2" before it stops. If I leave the botton on I can hear the motor trying to move the seat but it's not budging. I checked the track and there is nothing blocking it. The track and all frame pieces seem in tact with no breaks or damage. The seat is very firm which makes me feel like it's not mechanical but more electrical. Maybe the motor is going out. Any help or personal experience with this issue would be greatly appreciated. I will be driving the car to work tomorrow and then will remove the seat when I get home. Hopefully there will be some responses to this before then so I'm not just guessing on the problem.

Present- 2002 WJ Overland, 242HD(going in soon) 4.5" Teraflex/JKS lift, JCR Sliders, TAG bumpers, 33" Muds, 17" JK Moabs ( Future- 2012 JK Rubicon)
bhicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2011, 09:11 PM   #2
bhicks
2002 WJ 

I decided to go ahead and yank the seat tonight. I noticed that there was a little plastic stop inside the track that had basically disinigrated. It's held in place by a metal nut on the outside of the track and the stop has plastic threads. What a STUPID design. I also can not find out how to get inside the track to replace the piece. So right now I cramed a bolt into the hole that's basically acting as a stop and is held in place with JB weld. Horrible fix to the problem but at least the seat is moving back and forth again. Now I need to find a new track and possibly entire frame from the Junkyard or just grab an entire seat out of a gray interior Overland. If anyone knows of an Overland being parted out, please let me know.
Present- 2002 WJ Overland, 242HD(going in soon) 4.5" Teraflex/JKS lift, JCR Sliders, TAG bumpers, 33" Muds, 17" JK Moabs ( Future- 2012 JK Rubicon)
Unread 11-01-2011, 10:14 PM   #3
kerno
2000 WJ 

I don't think the cheezy plastic parts are available from the dealer and the entire seat track is blindingly expensive. There are lots of seat tracks for sale on eBay, so you have a couple choices. First, right seat tracks are selling for less than lefts, because the lefts fail first. The advantage of buying a right track is that it will have less wear.

You can switch the mounting feet on the tracks very easily. One big Torx bolt and you are done. So, if you have a dead left track, buy a right and swap the lower part of your dead left track (with the holes that bolt to the body) to make a left out of it.

Memory seats are different, so you need to buy a memory track for your Overland OR you can buy a basic power track and swap the worn out parts.
kerno is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2011, 10:57 PM   #4
Upside
2002 WJ 

Have a picture of the part you need? My local Pick Your Part just got a WJ in that has power seats. I may go there and swipe the rear sway bar linkage.
Upside is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2011, 08:42 AM   #5
bhicks
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upside View Post
Have a picture of the part you need? My local Pick Your Part just got a WJ in that has power seats. I may go there and swipe the rear sway bar linkage.
The previous poster talked about the one big Torque bolt that holds the track on. That's what broke. The main torque bolt (one on each side of the track) threads into a plastic sleeve. It's the plastic sleeve the fell apart. So the track is only being held together by the bolt on the other side. This causes the seat to move down the track in a jurky manner since the bolt/stop on the other side isn't keeping everything lined up properly. I need the entire track assembly from a WJ with the memory seats. If you find something grab it. I can drive down to you and pick it up later.
Unread 11-02-2011, 03:04 PM   #6
Upside
2002 WJ 

OK I'll see if it's still there. When I looked at it a couple days ago someone had swiped the passenger's side seat and the drive cables from the motors. My dad had one of those break on his Overland and had a speedo shop make a new one for $10 since you can't buy just the cable.
Upside is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2011, 07:55 PM   #7
bhicks
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upside View Post
OK I'll see if it's still there. When I looked at it a couple days ago someone had swiped the passenger's side seat and the drive cables from the motors. My dad had one of those break on his Overland and had a speedo shop make a new one for $10 since you can't buy just the cable.
PM Sent
Unread 11-02-2011, 07:59 PM   #8
bhicks
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerno View Post
I don't think the cheezy plastic parts are available from the dealer and the entire seat track is blindingly expensive. There are lots of seat tracks for sale on eBay, so you have a couple choices. First, right seat tracks are selling for less than lefts, because the lefts fail first. The advantage of buying a right track is that it will have less wear.

You can switch the mounting feet on the tracks very easily. One big Torx bolt and you are done. So, if you have a dead left track, buy a right and swap the lower part of your dead left track (with the holes that bolt to the body) to make a left out of it.

Memory seats are different, so you need to buy a memory track for your Overland OR you can buy a basic power track and swap the worn out parts.

This gives me an idea. If "upside" doesn't find one at the junkyard then I might just swap the tracks from the passenger side to the driver side. My passenger seat works great. That way my driver seat is fixed and the passenger seat has the issue. I can get the seat set in and out to a comfortable spot for both my wife and I and then just disconnect the motor for the in and out. The up and down and tilt will still work. This gives me a fix with no money out of pocket. It's ghetto, but should work and leave me money for mods and not repairs.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.