is seafoam good or bad? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > is seafoam good or bad?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits

Unread 02-13-2011, 12:40 PM   #1
XJ57
2001 WJ 

is seafoam good or bad?

Ive never used seafoam and i just want to know peoples thought on it, do you recommend it? is it good/bad product? does it work?

Unread 02-13-2011, 12:42 PM   #2
The_Blacksmith
1993 XJ Cherokee 

yeah it works. it can also work too well, you may have build up that is keeping gaskets and seals from leaking, by clearing that build up out, you can find alot of oil leaks.

it does what it is supposed to do tho

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/building-recovery-bumpers-pics-1184330/
The_Blacksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2011, 12:53 PM   #3
dvirgil
2000 WJ 

i've used it in all my vehicles, including motorcycles, never had a problem..just don't go overboard.
dvirgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2011, 12:57 PM   #4
03WJDave
2003 WJ 

Ran it thru my new '03 GCL for about 500 miles. This thing had no leaks when I got it. I drove it about 800 mile put the seafoam in and ended up with a small leak. Seafoam works so well like The Blacksmith said it may clean out crap that is stoping a leak. I ran mine for 500 miles and changed the oil and put in High Mileage oil and the leak stop soon after. The oil had only been in it for 1500 miles and was nasty. The Seafoam really did a job of getting the crud out.
03WJDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2011, 04:17 PM   #5
austinaubinoe
2000 XJ Cherokee 

sea foam trans tune works wonders aswell! Run a pint of it through the trans a couple hundred miles before changing the trans fluid and filter.
austinaubinoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2011, 04:35 PM   #6
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

I've had better results in the oil from oil-flush type products than from Seafoam. Likewise, better results from fuel injector cleaner in the fuel tank. However, it does a GREAT job de-carbonizing the cylinders and I still gladly use it for that.

Last edited by billzcat1; 02-13-2011 at 05:10 PM.. Reason: brain fart
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2011, 05:09 PM   #7
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I used seafoam in my WJ when I first got it. 1/3 into the crankcase, 1/3 into the gas tank, 1/3 straight into the brake booster line. Made a LOT of smoke haha. Also I only ran it in the crankcase for like ~100mi before I changed it with mobil1 high mileage but I dont know how others do it. I haven't discovered any new leaks yet so *knock on wood* it seems to have done nothing but good. Got alot of carbon out, helped my Jeep idle smoother/quieter, and throttle response and mileage both had noticeable improvements.

SOLD 01 WJ Ltd | i6 | QT2 | Moog HD steering | Tow Package | Boston Acoustics Audio | RB1 | Lou's Catback | Stone White |

Matt
compcrasher86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2011, 05:14 PM   #8
snobrdrkid07
2004 WJ 

Always wondered about seafoam and how to do it.

I want to run it through the crankcase/brake booster, but just had an oil change... So I need to wait until the oil change is up again. Thanks

Is seafoam the same stuff to clean out your injectors? Or do I need a different product?
~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Front XJ/TJ 2" Budget Boost. PM for details.
snobrdrkid07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2011, 05:19 PM   #9
narnwv

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snobrdrkid07 View Post

I want to run it through the crankcase/brake booster, but just had an oil change... So I need to wait until the oil change is up again. Thanks

Is seafoam the same stuff to clean out your injectors? Or do I need a different product?
Pour 1/3 of a can in your fuel tank to clean injectors. ( I use half of a can) 100 miles before your next oil change, pour 1/3 of a can into the crankcase. When you're about to change your oil, use 1/3 of a can sucked up through the brake booster vacuum line.

narnwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2011, 05:23 PM   #10
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snobrdrkid07 View Post

I'd wait to put it in your crankcase till you're close to your next oil change.

The brake booster is pretty easy. I would put 1/3 a can in. Drive around so the engine is warm. Shut it off and then pull the thick vaccuum line off of the brake booster and start up your Jeep. Slowly (very slowly) pour the seafoam so that your vaccuum line is sipping seafoam in. Dont put so much in that you stall the engine, just enough that the engine is bogged down a bit. Towards the end of your 1/3, give it a little more so it really bogs down (I've never been able to get mine to stall) and then cut the key. Connect your booster line again. Let it sit for 10-20 minutes. Start your Jeep up and make sure you give it a good couple of revs and it will start pouring smoke. After a minute or so of revving it up hard go out and drive it hard, I gave mine several WOT downshifts. Do that and then bring it home and enjoy your seafoamed engine haha.

SOLD 01 WJ Ltd | i6 | QT2 | Moog HD steering | Tow Package | Boston Acoustics Audio | RB1 | Lou's Catback | Stone White |

Matt
Unread 02-13-2011, 05:23 PM   #11
snobrdrkid07
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by narnwv View Post
Pour 1/3 of a can in your fuel tank to clean injectors. ( I use half of a can) 100 miles before your next oil change, pour 1/3 of a can into the crankcase. When you're about to change your oil, use 1/3 of a can sucked up through the brake booster vacuum line.
Okay, to be sure. You are saying I can dump 1/3 to 1/2 a can into the fuel tank and not have to worry about changing the oil, correct?

100 miles before I change the oil put 1/3 into the crankcase. (Dumb moment, is this where you pour in the oil?)

Then right before the oil change put the rest into the brake booster line.
~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 02-13-2011, 05:46 PM   #12
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

I personally haven't seen any improvement by running Seafoam in the fuel, but a lot of people do. I prefer the big bottle of Techron for fuel injector cleaning.

And for flushing oil, there are much better products such as Auto-RX or the Amsoil Engine Flush, or even adding a quart of ATF to the oil.

But for de-crudifying the cylinders, definitely use Seafoam as described. Your Mileage May Vary!

Also, whenever I use it, I also change spark plugs.
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2011, 05:49 PM   #13
snobrdrkid07
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
I personally haven't seen any improvement by running Seafoam in the fuel, but a lot of people do. I prefer the big bottle of Techron for fuel injector cleaning.

And for flushing oil, there are much better products such as Auto-RX or the Amsoil Engine Flush, or even adding a quart of ATF to the oil.

But for de-crudifying the cylinders, definitely use Seafoam as described. Your Mileage May Vary!

Also, whenever I use it, I also change spark plugs.
Looks like I will be buying seafoam and a bottle of techron for the FI's

Lol, just had the spark plugs changed... what crap timing. haah.

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 02-13-2011, 05:57 PM   #14
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

yeah I forgot to mention that, I wouldnt do it on new plugs if you dont have to, to me its seafoam + oil change + new plugs = fresh clean engine . Seafoam advertises its doesnt affect plugs so dont get too worried

Matt
Unread 02-13-2011, 06:00 PM   #15
snobrdrkid07
2004 WJ 

Well, oil change + new plugs + throttle body cleaning = Clean engine? haha. had that done about 900 miles ago

I want to try some things for the injectors. mostly to help the idle.

-Michael-

For Sale:

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.