Seafoam - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Seafoam

SYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 04-06-2014, 12:35 AM   #1
bkmedic2556

Seafoam

It's curious how do you all feel about sea foam ? A friend recommends it but I'm bit weary about it.

bkmedic2556 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2014, 01:27 AM   #2
CHULOGORDO82
2002 WJ 

i used it ,.. it didn't smoke onme but it did throw some stuff out the back ... you'll like it .. hell it might even SMOKE like there is no tomorrow ... but the after benefits are a smother running engine
Unread 04-06-2014, 04:27 AM   #3
Thegdog
1999 WJ 

It only smokes if you put it in the intake. Putting it in your gas tank doesn't make smoke. But I can't see how it can hurt anything. I have used it in several engines, and they did run a little better after.
Thegdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2014, 10:53 AM   #4
CHULOGORDO82
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thegdog View Post
It only smokes if you put it in the intake. Putting it in your gas tank doesn't make smoke. But I can't see how it can hurt anything. I have used it in several engines, and they did run a little better after.
I did the gas tank .. oil ... and intake only puffed once .. Then dripped some black stuff that is it ... I did a 1/3 in each

Sent from 36000ft crusing at .84Mach using ACARS
Unread 04-06-2014, 01:28 PM   #5
Mp5ben
2001 WJ 

I used it through the brake booster vac line by just pouring it in but it didn't do much of anything. Did it again with a buddy and we used a needle valve? or seomthing like that to the same line and that time it smoked like no tomorrow, idled a lot better and had a bit more power.
Mp5ben is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2014, 03:39 PM   #6
Super6XJ
2004 WJ 

did mine through brake booster and nope.. didnt smoke.
Unread 04-06-2014, 05:28 PM   #7
Jeep01AH
2001 WJ 

If you put it in your brake booster, make sure you take it out and do some WOTs to get all the crap out of your exhaust.

EDIT: Mine smoked real good for about 5 minutes.
Unread 04-06-2014, 06:53 PM   #8
00jeepthing

Did mine through the intake. Didn't smoke real bad. Did a 1/3 to 1/2 can. Ran alittle better after.
00jeepthing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2014, 09:11 PM   #9
99SK04GTX
2004 WJ 

I buy it by the gallon from Advance; use a coupon code and end up paying equal to $4 per 16 oz can. I use some Seafoam in all motors big and small, in the oil (before changes), in the tank and in the brake booster. In small engines, 2 cycle and 4 cycle it is liquid magic. Any motor that has been sitting, dump the gas and put in enough Seafoam to fill the carb and fuel system. follow with gas and motors run great. Did I mention I like Seafoam?
99SK04GTX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2014, 09:28 PM   #10
andrewx12
2000 WJ 

I put half a can in the oil before I changed it on my 00 4.0. Put it in and drove to the store to get the oil and back. Noticed a huge difference. It instantly shut up the lifter tick that I had and my engine has been noticeably quieter. I also put the other half in the gas tank and have noticed a change in gas mileage and a little more power since I did the oil change.

Thinking about it more, next time I will run seafoam a few days in advance instead of for a 5 mile round trip. This will give it more time to work and maybe inject it in the brake booster as well. I never used it before but am very happy. I have always used lucas injector cleaner. My sister being the genius that she is listened to someone without a brain and clogged valves in her POS civic because she didn't read the bottle. Put it in on 1/4 tank and drove till it was on fumes. By the time she put gas in a few days later it was misfiring on 2 cyl. Couldn't salvage it with a different proper run of the cleaner with 2 bottles of isopropyl as recommended by the mechanic. I sold it for her in 15 min on craigslist.

So READ THE DIRECTIONS! and you will be ok. I don't recall the brake booster line method being on the bottle but this has been done hundreds of times by many here without issue. It just smokes like hell.
andrewx12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2014, 09:03 AM   #11
bambam634
1999 WJ 

i have never heard of Seafoam before... so if i just did an oil change 100 miles ago i can add half a can to the oil and the other half to the gas tank and just drive like normal and then do an oil change in the next 3 months or so.. with no harm
bambam634 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2014, 11:35 AM   #12
TheNewbie
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambam634 View Post
i have never heard of Seafoam before... so if i just did an oil change 100 miles ago i can add half a can to the oil and the other half to the gas tank and just drive like normal and then do an oil change in the next 3 months or so.. with no harm
No, I usually go up to about 200 miles with it in the crankcase before doing an oil change. Never more than that.

My build thread...
I've got a shotgun, a rifle and a four wheel drive...
TheNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2014, 12:46 PM   #13
Leyva_WJawd
1999 WJ 

Used it in my 2000 Crown Vic at around 75k miles. Put 1/3 in gas, 1/3 in oil, 1/3 in brake booster until stalled out. Gave it 15 mins, started it and got a smoke show. Ran it real hard around town about 50 miles. Then went home and changed the oil and filter, spark plugs, and air filter. Car ran smoother than ever before after that. I believe it has about 130k-150k miles now with no issues at all.
Unread 04-08-2014, 02:00 PM   #14
rdkendrick
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkmedic2556 View Post
It's curious how do you all feel about sea foam ? A friend recommends it but I'm bit weary about it.
Nothing to be wary of. Many on here use it regularly. Just make sure you follow directions. There are many threads on here on how to run it through the brake booster line, but just putting it in your oil and gas won't hurt your Jeep anymore than any other additive.

Sent from my iPad using electrons
rdkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2014, 04:01 PM   #15
bangdupwj59
2003 WJ 

I did this yesterday with brake booster vacuum line. It smoked like crazy. Ive done it to a few vehicles with good results.
bangdupwj59 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.