Rust-Oleum Bed Liner on Rims & Trim - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Rust-Oleum Bed Liner on Rims & Trim

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 06-07-2014, 05:41 PM   #1
PsYcHoNoVa
2004 WJ 

Question Rust-Oleum Bed Liner on Rims & Trim

Hello, I've been reading threads on this topic for several weeks now, but I do not have a clear answer. I finally joined the forums yesterday.

I have a few questions regarding the Rust-Oleum spray on Bed Liner.

1) I scuffed up my bumpers & side molding with a heavy duty (green) SB Pad, then wiped them with alcohol, and applied 3 coats of the BL. It immediately started to rub off (like plastic) where I enter & exit the vehicle. Should I have used a Primer? And should I have also used a more coarse (220) grit for scuffing them up?

2) I plan on painting my rims tomorrow with the BL, and I was wondering if a self etching primer is a necessity? Or is a well sanded bare rim best?

3) I want to put a Semi-Gloss clear coat on the rims, and a Matte clear coat on the bumpers & trim (to make them more durable & easier to clean), but I'm unsure of what type to use. Enamel? I bought several cans of Rust-Oleum 2X Ultra Cover clear, but I'm not sure if that's what I need.

The painting of my bumpers & trim has become quite the PITA, and I'm really hoping my rims are near perfect after the 1st (and hopefully only) attempt.

PsYcHoNoVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2014, 05:58 PM   #2
krawler510
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Best luck I've had with rims was scuffing, cleaning, etching primer topped with Duplicolor flat wheel paint.

But the bedliner has held up well on my bumper and skid plates.
Unread 06-07-2014, 06:13 PM   #3
tsak01a
2004 WJ 

If the bumper is the plastic black that turns grey and white use black shoe polish on it. Simple just apply it and thats it. Turns it black for months. In Az most of them look like that.
tsak01a is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2014, 06:45 PM   #4
PsYcHoNoVa
2004 WJ 

I tried using Forever Black (a black dye that is supposed to last 4-5 years) on the trim & bumpers, but it peeled right off. I was shocked that a dye would peel off. It's like my trim is made of unchangeable plastic.
Unread 06-08-2014, 11:10 AM   #5
Hack
2003 WJ 

You need to use adhesion promoter on all bare plastic.
Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2014, 12:56 PM   #6
PsYcHoNoVa
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack View Post
You need to use adhesion promoter on all bare plastic.
Is that better than Plastic Primer?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.