Running a Spartan Locker in Front Dana 30 (Selec Trac)? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Running a Spartan Locker in Front Dana 30 (Selec Trac)?

Engo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 LumYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 01-13-2012, 02:28 PM   #1
Terminator2

Running a Spartan Locker in Front Dana 30 (Selec Trac)?

Can I safely run spartan locker in my Dana 30 front diff with my Selec Trac TC? I use 2wd only on the street. I am going to get a spartan locker for the 44A in the rear just wanted to see if I can save myself a fortune compared to an Ox locker (cable actuated) which is my ideal choice but about $1,000 more money

Terminator2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2012, 02:34 PM   #2
skain8
Under Construction

2002 WJ 

I am not a fan of auto lockers in the front with full time hubs. Several run them, however, with good success. IMO, a locked rear and a good LSD (i.e. Detroit true trac) up front will take you most places quite competently. Plus, a clutchless LSD such as the true trac is moderately priced compared to the OX or ARB.

'02 WJ: 4.7L, 5", HP44/9", 231HD, tall & skinny KM2's
'99 XJ: stock
'99 XJ: stolen
'06 XK: sold
231HD build guide
skain8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2012, 04:11 AM   #3
FrankTheDank
1999 WJ 

I have a Spartan in my front 30 and love it... Cv axle shafts arnt so strong tho... Be prepared to replace, they are cheep tho
::4.0::42RE::242::Carolina Driveline::Spartan Locked D30::Aussie locked 44A::4.56!!!::4'' IRO LA::33/12'' Retreads::4"BS wheels::IRO T case skid::2 12'' Kenwood Subs 1000 Watt Kenwood Amp::Iceland Winch Bumper::Smittybilt XRC8::
STOCK 97 ZJ LAREDO-Daily Driver
Quote:
I don't need to lie...that way I never have to remember what I said
FrankTheDank is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2012, 07:05 AM   #4
Terminator2

Quote:
Originally Posted by skain8 View Post
I am not a fan of auto lockers in the front with full time hubs. Several run them, however, with good success. IMO, a locked rear and a good LSD (i.e. Detroit true trac) up front will take you most places quite competently. Plus, a clutchless LSD such as the true trac is moderately priced compared to the OX or ARB.
Thanks I will look at the Detroit true trac.
Unread 01-14-2012, 07:05 AM   #5
Terminator2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankTheDank View Post
I have a Spartan in my front 30 and love it... Cv axle shafts arnt so strong tho... Be prepared to replace, they are cheep tho
That is what I was afraid of thanks for the info.
Unread 01-14-2012, 08:09 AM   #6
speedjunky1
2000 WJ 

I was thinking about doing the same thing. Figuring that if I didn't have it in 4WD it would free wheel, no problem right. NO, If i put an autolocker in the front and have it out of 4WD the axles with still lock when making a turn. Am I right?
speedjunky1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2012, 08:53 AM   #7
Terminator2

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedjunky1 View Post
I was thinking about doing the same thing. Figuring that if I didn't have it in 4WD it would free wheel, no problem right. NO, If i put an autolocker in the front and have it out of 4WD the axles with still lock when making a turn. Am I right?
It seems like according to the one owner of this setup that has chimed in that it works but he seems to go through a lot of CV shafts due to it putting more pressure on the joints when turning I guess. I kinda wish we had manual hubs LOL.
Unread 01-14-2012, 10:16 AM   #8
FrankTheDank
1999 WJ 

No mine only locks when in 4wd... That any 4wd part time or full time.. when I'm in two wheel drive I can hardly notice it and cant hear it
::4.0::42RE::242::Carolina Driveline::Spartan Locked D30::Aussie locked 44A::4.56!!!::4'' IRO LA::33/12'' Retreads::4"BS wheels::IRO T case skid::2 12'' Kenwood Subs 1000 Watt Kenwood Amp::Iceland Winch Bumper::Smittybilt XRC8::
Quote:
Unread 01-14-2012, 10:51 AM   #9
Terminator2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankTheDank View Post
No mine only locks when in 4wd... That any 4wd part time or full time.. when I'm in two wheel drive I can hardly notice it and cant hear it
Oh got you. Sounds like it would be fine for me then. I am in 2wd 99.9% of the time. Just frustrating when you get into a jam and only 1tire on each axle is getting torque sent to it.
Unread 01-14-2012, 11:46 AM   #10
Planetcat
2004 WJ 

I have a Spartan in the front D30 of my XJ with selec-trac. It works (i.e. traction-wise) infinitely better than my detroit true-trac in the front of my WJ. I just don't use 4-full time when on asphalt, 2wd only, unless I'm on dirt roads. It's inexpensive, easy to install, and works great.
Unread 01-16-2012, 12:27 PM   #11
Terminator2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planetcat View Post
I have a Spartan in the front D30 of my XJ with selec-trac. It works (i.e. traction-wise) infinitely better than my detroit true-trac in the front of my WJ. I just don't use 4-full time when on asphalt, 2wd only, unless I'm on dirt roads. It's inexpensive, easy to install, and works great.
Thanks for the good info. Spartan lockers front and rear it is. Hello true 4wd no more one wheel peeling LOL.
Unread 01-16-2012, 05:30 PM   #12
StrokedWJ
Web Wheeler

2000 WJ 

An auto locker in the front with a 242 = poor mans selectable locker. LOL I'm running a lockrite in the front and love it. Everyone always talks about how bad they are in the snow/ice, but you shouldn't have to worry about that at all down in FL.

Click this -->Think you can beat me?
StrokedWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2012, 05:41 PM   #13
FrankTheDank
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrokedWJ
An auto locker in the front with a 242 = poor mans selectable locker. .
Awesome way to look at it
Quote:
Unread 01-16-2012, 09:31 PM   #14
Gazaway
2001 WJ 

So if I lock the.front in mine, as long as im in 2wd it will still drive the same as now?

OFFTOPIC- but frank, do you run treadwrights?
2001 Silver Stone Metallic Laredo WJ 4.0- 242, D30/D35, BB, Trimmed Bumper, and 265/75/16 Buckshot M/T's, Plastidipped Emblems and Grille, Obsidian Audio 15's in a 7 cubic ft ported box tuned to 30Hz, Audiopipe 15001d, Audiopipe 1002, 1/0 gauge wiring.
Gazaway is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2012, 10:01 PM   #15
Planetcat
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazaway View Post
So if I lock the.front in mine, as long as im in 2wd it will still drive the same as now?

OFFTOPIC- but frank, do you run treadwrights?
On tight turns, you will get some clicking which I believe is the locker trying to stay disengaged, since no torque is being applied to it. In my XJ, the clicking is barely noticeable. In 4WD, it's completely quiet. I put regular Valvoline 80W-90 dino gear oil in the diff, too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.